MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Ruthless Brazilians
Gogoplatapus
7/4/12 7:45:26PM
Photo making the rounds in Brazil.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Gogoplatapus
7/4/12 7:47:13PM
Ahhh, I see someone posted this in another thread...
infestructure
7/4/12 7:48:23PM
Its all in good fun. The amount of shit Sonnen has talked, I'm actually surprised that photo isn't real.

Hyping a fight is one thing - publicly denouncing an entire nation over and over is another.
Gogoplatapus
7/4/12 8:12:29PM

Posted by infestructure

Its all in good fun. The amount of shit Sonnen has talked, I'm actually surprised that photo isn't real.

Hyping a fight is one thing - publicly denouncing an entire nation over and over is another.

I thought it was funny, Americans and Canadians would most likely go for the humor angle. Brazilians though, straight for your throat.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/4/12 8:57:02PM
Seriously, it's not like America isn't on the ass end of the World's jokes. What kills me is that people really believe that Sonnen feels this way about everything. Dude, we are a society that says messed up stuff because it IS funny. Sarcasm has become part of society and Chael even showed Anderson respect yesterday. Chael knows Anderson is a great fighter. Chael knows Anderson has a legacy.

It's his job to sell HIS fights and he does that. Brazilians are probably among the biggest trash-talkers when it comes to cultures outside of their own. They routinely have arrogant attitudes and have no problem expressing their disdain for different ways of life.

I don't have a problem with it and most countries judge things by the standards of their own society. It's called ethnocentrism. It's a sense of pride for the way things your country does things as compared to others. Chael just fired first this time.

I respect Chael because he actually makes people want to buy his fights. Whether you want to see him win or get his ass beat, he makes you buy HIS fight. He's trying to pay his own bills and secure a future for himself. Everyone should take this much pride in their own work. Nobody is going to give Chael anything. He has to earn it. The same as the rest of us. So, he works hard to make sure people are buying his product even if it's for negative reasons.

There's a saying in journalism/academia, "As long as you're doing proper research and taking care of your facts, who cares if people hate it? At least they're reading it. They can't hate it unless they've read it first."

Chael realizes that people might hate him, but they will pay for the chance to see Anderson beat the hell out of him and shut him up.

People are whining about the fact that he calls himself the champ. Who cares? EVERY athlete realizes when they had something within reach and blew it. They know they can beat you. We even do it as human beings. The closer we get to winning/accomplishing something, the more we believe it's ours the second time around.

Can you honestly tell me that you haven't ever had those moments in your life when you walked away telling yourself, "I can't believe I made a stupid mistake, there's no way that guy can beat me without me messing up."

I know I have done that when playing a video game against someone. I have been dominating them the whole time and made a stupid mistake that cost me the game. I've had those moments in sports, where I would dominate at my position for an entire game, but I would make a stupid mistake that proved costly.

Chael see his last fight with Anderson and sees that he dominated the guy for 23 minutes. He sees that he was winning everywhere. He sees that he was 2:30 away from being the new champ. If you were an athlete and knew that coming into a rematch, you would be just as confident in your abilities.

Especially if it is a champion. If you believe that you're better than and should be the champion, that gives you an amazing amount of confidence.

infestructure
7/4/12 10:00:01PM
I'm sure no-one has any problem with pride in one's own nation, but as I said, Sonnen has been digging at another nation, just to hype a fight.

The showdown in my opinion showed Sonnen does not really mean what he says. He wasn't showing respect, he was avoiding confrontation.
He knows he said things he shouldn't have.

I just wish fights were hyped for the things that matter, not what country the fighter hails from.

I'm hyped for this fight because I feel Sonnen might have skillset to beat Silva, and is giving him his first true test in years.
kopower
7/4/12 10:13:08PM

Posted by infestructure

I'm sure no-one has any problem with pride in one's own nation, but as I said, Sonnen has been digging at another nation, just to hype a fight.

The showdown in my opinion showed Sonnen does not really mean what he says. He wasn't showing respect, he was avoiding confrontation.

I just wish fights were hyped for the things that matter, not what country the fighter hails from.

I'm hyped for this fight because I feel Sonnen might have skillset to beat Silva, and is giving him his first true test in years.

Agreed. I don't care if little jokes are made about one's nationality, but Sonnen just kept at it and went a little to far. He can rip Silva any way, and as much as he wants. That's fine with me.
warglory
7/4/12 10:15:23PM

Posted by infestructure

You mean the first test since the last test against Sonnen?
Chael_Sonnen
7/4/12 10:30:26PM
Chael would be wearing this instead......An-der-son would be wearing a chicken outfit (along with the Pallbearer Vanderlay)
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
jae_1833
7/5/12 1:30:04AM
HEY BLUE! I remember when I used to defend Tito Ortiz the same exact way!!!!
infestructure
7/5/12 4:50:51AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by infestructure

You mean the first test since the last test against Sonnen?

Yeah that
MALICE
7/5/12 9:53:37AM
I take a person's actions and words face to face far more seriously than what is said to a camera, posted on the Internet, etc.