Runners Knee?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Runners Knee?
thelastking
9/15/08 4:45:50PM
Hey i just found out i had something called runners knee. Its pretty painful but supposedly it will heal over time with streching and working out the inner thigh. It stopped me from working, training and going to classes. Its getting a little better now, the pain is gone but it still feels a little unsteady. I wanted to know when i would be able to start training again I couldnt get a clear answer from the doctor he said start out with swimming and stuff like that but didnt really give me a time i could start training. I'm not asking when should i start training just if u had this how long it took you to recover so i kinda have an idea. Thanks
bullettdodger
9/15/08 6:38:51PM
I don't know anything about your specific injury but it really seems like something that you would need to find out from your doctor. Strange that he didn't give you an approxamite time frame... but it sounds like from what you said that he doesn't really know himself. I think this is why he instructed you to start with something fairly low impact. I would go with that he says and use something like swimming for you to gague about how healthy your leg is yourself... I've always been a firm believer in that you know more about your own body that anyone else (with exceptions of course)
Rush
9/15/08 7:17:51PM
I am a runner and have dealt with two types of knee "injuries". So I have a few questions for you.

1. - Who diagnosed it as runner's knee?

2. - What are the symptoms? I ask because I have had sports doctors misdiagnose knee problems.

3. Did you actually injure it or did it just get progressively worse?

4. How much running can you do before it hurts you?

5. Does the pain stop when you stop running?

6. Doe sit hurt when you walk up or down steps?

I need to know these before I can offer any specific help
thelastking
9/15/08 7:32:22PM
1. 2 different doctors and a psyiotherapist agreed. they actually said it was the cartilage between the knee and knee cap being pulled weird becuase of a larger outside thigh and smaller inner thigh. They said it is commonly called runners knee(doctor said runners knee not psyiotherapist but said the samethings about the cartilage).
2. A little swelling but not to noticable, lots of pain in the knee and thigh. especially when sitting down or standing up.
3. i didnt do anything traumatic to the knee to cause it to my knowledge although i do work hard labour and train every night(or did) i woke up one morning with the knee/thigh problem.

Hope this is enough info i guess i should have given more info in the first place. Thanks again
Rush
9/15/08 8:02:42PM
is the pain below the knee cap and/or on the sides of the knee?

In short here are the things I found that worked well for knee issues I have had in the past couple of years.

Rest - I had tendonitis in my knee and it never got better until I actually spent a few weeks just sitting on the couch.

Ice - If it is swelling, then ice, if not, I found this to be counterproductive as one of my injuries was due to a tight IT band.

Strengthening - this was recommended, but I felt that it didn't help my recovery. My IT band needed to be released which required deep tissue massage and stretching. My tendonitis just needed rest.

However, runner's knee is different and maybe doing some wall sits would help you. Just stand with your back against the wall and your knees bent at 90 deg. It's a great quad workout. Just make sure you only do isometric (i.e. static exercises) exercises when your knees are that bent.

Stretching - I cannot stress this enough. In fact a large number of nagging knee "Injuries" are a result of poor stretching habits or an imbalance in strength/flexibility in your lower body.

Shoes - get a pair of walking shoes and a pair of running shoes that are right for your feet. Good shoe companies will have a variety of shoes that offer varying degrees of support. If you pronate (where the bottom of your foot flattens out when you walk) you need more support. Over pronation is a main cause for knee and back problems. I only by shoes that are right for my feet. They cost a little more, but it's worth it. That is, I would never buy shoes from a mall or store like foot locker.

Use walking shoes for walking and running shoes for running and make sure you get new ones when they start to wear out (lose support). Even if they look like they are in good shape, shoes with lost support are not good for you.

Trust me, just changing your shoes can make a big difference.
Jackelope
9/15/08 10:59:47PM
I was diagnosed with "Runner's Knee" while I was in the Army. From the research I did and the physical therapist's point of view the actual name of what I had was "ITB Syndrome"

Basically it's where your IT Band (running along the outside, or lateral aspect, of your leg) pulls too hard and enflames the side of your knee. Some people have naturally tight IT Bands and hips (me) so for them it is very hard to avoid developing ITB syndrome. It can be helped by aggressively stretching the hips and outer leg (while un-injured) and of course refining your gait in your run. Don't forget the advice Rush gave, either... SHOES, SHOES, SHOES. I recommend you ask a doctor who knows a thing or two about running and also can see you in real life or someone who really knows what they're talking about for a shoe recommendation. Me, I love New Balance. Brooks makes a great running shoe, too.

The times it hurt me most were generally when I walked stairs (even just normal stair walking) and of course while running. Thanks to being in the army I received "steroid shock therapy" on the side of my knee. They basically hooked up a pad coated with some "roids" and electrocuted it into the side of my knee. It seemed to work pretty quick combined with some new stretches. Wall stretches, ball stretches, and roller pad stretches. You might have been recommended these already. If not, I'll try to find links and post them. Let me know if you need them.

3 years later how do I feel?- all of the above helped, but it's still not gone. For me the problem is mostly genetic and due to over training. I've had to step back my running game and stretch more and more. It sucks, but it's something I have to deal with. Overall I'd say go by your doctor's recommendations and if you can afford it aggressively seek out some physical therapy. If all else 1 or 2 sessions can show you what you need to do and then you can do it on your own without the assistance of a physical therapist.

Good luck, it's a bitch.

(Disclaimer: You may not have the same thing as I did. We can only know what we decipher over the net. So don't take what I've written as gospel. If all else get a third, fourth and fifth doctor's opinion.)

thelastking
9/16/08 12:19:30AM
Thanks guys i will give some of these suggestions a try.
Rush
9/16/08 8:39:33AM
I want to add something to Jackalope's last statement. The problem I had was that I had IT band syndrome and a patellar tendonitis at the same time and the sports doctor over thought his diagnosis. It was actually the physiotherapist that thought it was IT band syndrome and treated me for that. He never fixed my tendonitis, I did that on my own.

Oh and New Balance is great. I only shop at New Balance.
thelastking
10/20/08 5:51:35PM
Just an update my knee/leg feels alot better, not 100% of course. At first it wasn't going to well i started to lose alot of muscle mass in my hurt leg, ,my calve and thigh were alot smaller on my injured leg. Then my phsiotherapist gave me some stretches and strengthening for that leg. I did them for about a month and my leg is almost back to the normal size again. Then for some weird reason my thigh would twitch every time i put weight on it i couldn't feel it but could visably see it twitching. That stopped happening about two days ago and today i got the ok to start training again from my doctor, no hard contact to the leg though, so i guess i cant do any sparring or play kicking but at least i can go train now at least. Thanks again for all the help guys. Its been about 2 months im excited to get back to training.
Jackelope
10/20/08 7:41:47PM
Good deal, bro. Take it easy going back into training. A lot of times it's really easy to feel like you've fallen behind the curve and you need to work extra hard to get back into it. Just remember you can only train as hard as your body will let you, and if you disrespect your body you will be right back to square 1. Great to hear, though!