RUMOUR: Cruz Tears ACL, Cancels Fight With Faber

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » RUMOUR: Cruz Tears ACL, Cancels Fight With Faber
jjeans
5/7/12 2:35:31PM
This is only a rumour. Not official. So don't get too excited/emotional.

Phytegurus.com has confirmed with sources close to the event that The Ultimate Fighter Coach Dominic Cruz (19-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) is pulling out of the much anticipated UFC 148 fight with Urijah Faber (26-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) due to a torn ACL.

It is still unknown if there is or will be a replacement fighter for Faber or if this fight will still maintain the Co-Main Event status.

UFC 148 has become a huge card recently adding UFC Middleweight Champ Anderson Silva’s (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) rematch with Chael Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC).

The LINK, again doesn't look official yet
Budgellism
5/7/12 2:46:29PM
God, I hope this isn't true...

I've never heard of this website though so I won't get too worried until we hear more about it.
Poor_Franklin
5/7/12 2:49:11PM
seeing multiple tweets supposedly confirming it, most coming from @FrontRowBrian
Twenty20Dollars
5/7/12 2:51:51PM
april fools

make him still fight
airkerma
5/7/12 3:02:14PM
Great, now that damned "Rumor has it" song is stuck in my head. "Rumor has it Cruz ain't gonna fight any more"
Twenty20Dollars
5/7/12 3:19:52PM
mmajunkie is reporting it as well now.
Twenty20Dollars
5/7/12 3:32:03PM
I wonder if they'll bring in a new coach if they find a new opponent for Faber, like they did with Chuck/Tito
cowcatcher
5/7/12 3:37:29PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I wonder if they'll bring in a new coach if they find a new opponent for Faber, like they did with Chuck/Tito

That was my thought too, especially with it being filmed as it airs. This season has probably already been enough of a logistical nightmare with editing done quickly, live fights, and issues with commercials during live fights, and this probably seals it as the hardest season to do from a production standpoint. I'm sure they'll be glad when it's over and they can tweek/revamp it for the next season.
prophecy033
5/7/12 3:48:05PM
DAMN!!!! I was looking forward to Cruz taking it to Faber to end this trilogy 2-1. Hopefully it happens down the road
BlueSkiesBurn
5/7/12 3:56:39PM
This is no longer a rumor. It's fact. Dana tweeted it.

@danawhite It's true Cruz blew his ACL. Stay tuned for more info
Budgellism
5/7/12 4:01:26PM
Shit... That's brutal. Interm title fight between Faber and Barao maybe? Or Faber and McDonald?
prophecy033
5/7/12 4:11:29PM

Posted by Budgellism

Shit... That's brutal. Interm title fight between Faber and Barao maybe? Or Faber and McDonald?

only thing we know for sure is Faber will be fighting....unless he gets injured also
Budgellism
5/7/12 4:13:21PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Budgellism

only thing we know for sure is Faber will be fighting....unless he gets injured also

Faber/Barao and McDonald/Menjivar makes a lot of sense to me right now.
prozacnation1978
5/7/12 4:13:49PM
I am more than pissed about this. Shelled out most money ever for a ticket for this.

You add the Edgar vs maynard last May cancelled
Oct gsp vs condit
And reem vs dos santos out. 4th straight Vegas title fight change for me. And with

Cruz out with a acl tear your looking at him out for at least 8 months or more. He won't fight this year

Ufc knows this.

Make Barao vs faber for interim belt

Menivar vs mayday for next title shot
lohmann
5/7/12 4:34:47PM

Another division with a bunch of interesting and fresh title contenders put on hiatus as far as title matters go.
Bubbles
5/7/12 5:11:54PM
it's all a conspiracy. Everyone knows the world will end in December and they want to be the last UFC champion when all is said and done
KungFuMaster
5/7/12 5:31:21PM
It's too bad a great champion like Cruz has to suffer an ACL injury but on the bright side, I'm glad Cruz and Faber are no longer fighting. Hopefully Faber goes on to fight and loses to someone else.
Twenty20Dollars
5/7/12 5:40:48PM
Faber should probably wait, that's what everyone else is doing.

Honestly, I wasn't into this match happening so soon anyways. I said that when it was first announced.
rush13
5/7/12 5:43:52PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

It's too bad a great champion like Cruz has to suffer an ACL injury but on the bright side, I'm glad Cruz and Faber are no longer fighting. Hopefully Faber goes on to fight and loses to someone else.

U took the exact words outta my mouth...hopefully Barao will kick his ass for the interim belt, which will make up for all of the gift title-shots "Ass-Chin" has been given
Kpro
5/7/12 5:48:19PM
Any MRI results on this confirming serverity of tear or could it still just be a bad strain and the journalists got antsy?

The time range for healing is a huuuuuge wiindow without knowing exactly what was done to the ACL, but I'm hoping for the best.
Manak
5/7/12 6:02:00PM

Posted by Kpro

Any MRI results on this confirming serverity of tear or could it still just be a bad strain and the journalists got antsy?

The time range for healing is a huuuuuge wiindow without knowing exactly what was done to the ACL, but I'm hoping for the best.

no clue but dana put on his twitter: "It's true, Cruz blew his ACL, Stay tuned for more info."

by using the word blew, Im assuming a full tear but it could just his way of saying some sort of cal injury
quezocrema0032
5/7/12 6:22:09PM
Really sucks for a great champion like Cruz for this to happen now. Hes getting the most exposure hes ever gotten & was on the verge of cemmenting his place as the greatest 135er ever. Im honestly saddened for him
hashyandy4
5/7/12 6:53:45PM
This Blows!!
Twenty20Dollars
5/7/12 7:36:35PM
Faber tweeted something like Barao being a good replacement.
BeeR
5/7/12 8:22:53PM
"Much anticipated"

Pookie
5/7/12 11:13:59PM
I say we solve this problem Afro Samurai style, make a #1 belt and a #2 bandana for every division. and have them perpetually unify the two.
Wolfenstein
5/8/12 8:30:05PM
A shame, but in all honesty I had little desire to see a third bout.

I will say though I'm really impressed with Cruz as a coach--he's grown on me. I know he rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but watching him on TUF has definitely changed the way I view him as a fighter.