Rumors swirling - plug being pulled on Strikeforce

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rumors swirling - plug being pulled on Strikeforce
Shawn91111
10/8/12 7:24:46PM
Sources close to BJPENN.com informed us just moments ago that Strikeforce operations are set to cease and that the promotion is going out of business.

The rumor comes shortly after news broke that Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF) was forced to pull out of his title fight with Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) due to a wrist injury.

The middleweight title fight was the second key loss to a scheduled November 3rd card, following the loss of a heavyweight main event bout between Frank Mir and Daniel Cormier.

LINK

Shawn91111
10/8/12 7:25:06PM
Josh Gross ?@JoshGrossESPN
Rumors swirling re: plug being pulled on Strikeforce. No confirmation yet. But if it's true, was Showtime's call. They hold option for 2013.

FrontRowBrian ?@FrontRowBrian
Hearing @Strikeforce is being disbanded immediately. It is no more. Another promotion goes by the wayside.
cowcatcher
10/8/12 7:27:56PM
It's time. You can't have back to back cards get the plug pulled on them and continue to survive. The plus side is no more Frank Shamrock in the booth, the downside is that I don't see jobs for a lot of the fighters on the roster in the UFC. I wonder if Coker starts up a new promotion if he happens to be let go by Zuffa, maybe this is a new opportunity for him to build something from the ground up.
Shawn91111
10/8/12 7:32:17PM
Its time for sure
Budgellism
10/8/12 7:32:59PM
This is excellent news considering how Strikeforce has been the last 6 months or so. Let's finally get some of these guys in the UFC. Cormier, Barnett, Mousasi, Rockhold, Souza, Lawler (Very excited for some match ups he could be apart of), Marquardt, Melendez, Thomson, Healy, Masvidal, etc.

I'm happy with this.
george112
10/8/12 7:38:06PM
As much as I want to believe that their can be another promotion to rival the UFC, it simply isn't going to happen.

Bellator is the biggest off the top of my head but even they seem "minor" compared to the UFC. I mean seriously if your moving forward in your MMA career your goal is to be UFC champion. Not a strikeforce champ. Not a bellator champ.

Every promotion that has tried to compete with the UFC has failed or just plain doesn't stack up public wise as far as being a place you want to be in.

To compete with the UFC you need to bring to the table something they can't. That something hasn't been found yet and may never be.
FastKnockout
10/8/12 7:45:06PM
No complaints here.
prozacnation1978
10/8/12 8:23:04PM
Free agents for Ufc and bellator
Shawn91111
10/8/12 8:25:13PM
Im sure the fighters are happy as shit
kopower
10/8/12 8:47:47PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Free agents for Ufc and bellator

Exactly. The UFC should gain some great fighters, and a few of the smaller organizations will also land some decent talent.
Shawn91111
10/8/12 9:51:23PM
FrontRowBrian ?@FrontRowBrian
There was also a Facebook post from the wife of a Zuffa exec saying SF was shutting down. The post was then deleted. This was earlier today
Shawn91111
10/8/12 9:55:10PM
Is this the end for Strikeforce? - Inside MMA

LINK
supatolacyl
10/9/12 5:14:23AM
Doesn't Showtime still hold the non-compete contracts on the majority of the top tier fighters in SF, even if Strikeforce shuts down and allowing Showtime to dictate where the fighters can fight? This was a big topic several months back, but I can't remember what was confirmed on tne subject.
mrsmiley
10/9/12 8:12:50AM
So where does Womens mma move from here?
Budgellism
10/9/12 9:01:37AM

Posted by mrsmiley

If Invicta keeps doing what they're doing I think we may see them completely take over Women's mma. I'd like to see the UFC eventually partner with them tbh.
cowcatcher
10/9/12 10:02:38AM

Posted by mrsmiley

I think the UFC will have a 1 woman division(with a 2nd woman for 1 fight at a time) as long as Honda Housey keeps winning. They're going to take full advantage of the $$$ she can bring in.
infestructure
10/9/12 5:11:49PM
This could be great for Bellator, they can pick the cream of the strikeforce crop.

Also I agree with Cowcatcher, Coker should go off and make a new org using his expertise
Samps
10/9/12 6:49:12PM
Great news. I can't help but to see SF as a shackle for some good talent. Here's a proposal:
Take the majority of the SF roster, and the lower end of the UFC roster and do weekly "fight nights" on their FB page, same style as FB prelims. It's a win-win. We get fights, fighters get paid to fight. Really helps with exposure to not only the sport, but also the individual fighters. Also helps with long gaps between cards. This is also an opportunity for newer talent to prove their mettle and also an opportunity for fighters who have struggled in the UFC to get back on track. There is room for SF fighters to transition to the UFC, it's through live streams on their FB page
BuffaloDave
10/9/12 7:02:19PM

Posted by infestructure

This could be great for Bellator, they can pick the cream of the strikeforce crop.

Also I agree with Cowcatcher, Coker should go off and make a new org using his expertise

If SF does fold, I'm sure Zuffa still has the rights to the signed fighters, so UFC will get the cream of the crop.