Rumor: Wanderlei Silva Vs. Chael Sonnen Possible For UFC 153 Main Event

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rumor: Wanderlei Silva Vs. Chael Sonnen Possible For UFC 153 Main Event
Shawn91111
9/12/12 5:03:01PM
As you know by now, UFC 153 capsized and doesn't have its main event or co-main event. Jose Aldo has a foot injury and is out of his title fight with Frankie Edgar, and Quinton Jackson's shoulder injury sees him out of his fight with Glover Teixeira. The UFC is scrambling for a replacement main event knowing that while their other main card fights are great, they aren't main event worthy. A possible new main event could be a catchweight bout between Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen. (Via Fighters Only)

A fight between Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen is a possible replacement main event for UFC 153 on October 13.

Silva has publicly voiced willingness to meet Sonnen if the UFC officially offers the match and sources say that the bout is under consideration. It would take place at a catchweight of 195lbs - between middleweight and light-heavy - to reflect the short-notice nature of the bout.

LINK
Shawn91111
9/12/12 5:03:52PM
well with both rumors going, looks like Wanderlei is fighting someone.
Poor_Franklin
9/12/12 5:07:54PM
still dont think Chael in Brazil is a good idea
prophecy033
9/12/12 5:10:04PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

I say have him fight there and get it over with
george112
9/12/12 5:21:35PM
I don't like this matchup for wanderlie.

Sonnen will take it to the ground and gnp his way to victory . Wanderlie better not gas again.
thevoodooninja
9/12/12 5:23:51PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

i'm not buying cheal going to brazil for a second
kopower
9/12/12 5:32:37PM
If this fight happens, I have a tough time seeing how Silva wins, unless Chael starts throwing spinning backfists again.
sparky
9/12/12 5:45:46PM
Solid fight for a replacement main event Chael will shit talk so much that everyone will want to see it. I see Sonnen having his way with Wanderlei verbally and in the cage
BuffaloDave
9/12/12 6:39:58PM
Shael's manager shot down the fight with Wand, said fight with Forrest is still on.

LINK
Aether
9/12/12 7:09:56PM
This is a horrible fight for Wanderlei. I'm glad it's not happening, Sonnen vs Griffin is far more interesting.
bjj1605
9/12/12 7:54:22PM
I think Wandy would have a legit chance.

Chael would be a at a massive disadvantage standing and I can't ever remember Wanderlei being badly out wrestled before.
ghandikush
9/12/12 8:02:49PM
Boring, I dont want to see Chael dryhumps Wanderlei for 3 rounds or use one of his "wrestling submissions"....... Anyway I would like the chance of Chael getting lead piped in the knee on his way out to the fight...... Karmas been building that one up for a while.
crushedbacon
9/12/12 8:12:57PM

Posted by Aether

This is a horrible fight for Wanderlei. I'm glad it's not happening, Sonnen vs Griffin is far more interesting.

Completely agree, as a long time Wand fan, I don't think he can win this fight. Freak knee, catching Sonnen on a double leg coming in.... but other than that.... I think Sonnen has the second best shot in MMA, Wand isn't sprawling that shit, and if Chael starts the fight the same way he does against Anderson.... well....
Franklinfan47
9/12/12 8:20:47PM
I refuse to get excited until these fights actually happen.
ghandikush
9/12/12 8:26:48PM

Posted by Aether

Not at all, forrest would piss himself dry and have no tears left to cry in the post fight runaway...
Bubbles
9/12/12 9:07:28PM

Posted by bjj1605

Chael would be a at a massive disadvantage standing and I can't ever remember Wanderlei being badly out wrestled before.

looking at his record, Arona is probably the last pure grappler he fought: Franklin, Le, Leben, Bisping, Rampage, Jardine, Liddell, Hendo, Cro Cop, Fujita, Arona.

and that was almost 7 years ago
bjj1605
9/12/12 10:20:35PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

looking at his record, Arona is probably the last pure grappler he fought: Franklin, Le, Leben, Bisping, Rampage, Jardine, Liddell, Hendo, Cro Cop, Fujita, Arona.

True.

He got beat by Arona once and then came back and won.

The only other time he got out grappled was against Tito like over a decade ago. My point is that he's got decent grappling himself and he has shown good takedown defense. Don't forget that Rampage hadn't abandoned his wrestling yet when they fought in Pride.
ghandikush
9/12/12 10:23:17PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

True.

The only other time he got out grappled was against Tito like over a decade ago. My point is that he's got decent grappling himself and he has shown good takedown defense. Don't forget that Rampage hadn't abandoned his wrestling yet when they fought in Pride.

Physicality is going to mean a lot with grappling, just ask fedor.
Budgellism
9/12/12 11:14:25PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

True.

Sonnen's on a different level when it comes to shooting for the takedown. Imo Wandy has never faced someone with the ability to pressure for a takedown like Sonnen does. I find it very hard to believe Wandy can win this fight I hate to say it.
Theoutlaw08
9/13/12 9:54:46AM
Im sure Jones was the reason this fight didnt happen.
ghandikush
9/13/12 10:08:57AM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Im sure Jones was the reason this fight didnt happen.

JK

State_Champ
9/13/12 12:14:12PM
Just popped in to say WAR WANDERLEI !
postman
9/13/12 12:46:17PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

True.

Sonnen's on a different level when it comes to shooting for the takedown. Imo Wandy has never faced someone with the ability to pressure for a takedown like Sonnen does. I find it very hard to believe Wandy can win this fight I hate to say it.

I think the idea he has not fought a wrestler like sonnen makes it intersting. How cool would it be if Sonnen couldn't get him down and was forced to strike!
Budgellism
9/13/12 10:32:42PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

True.

I think the idea he has not fought a wrestler like sonnen makes it intersting. How cool would it be if Sonnen couldn't get him down and was forced to strike!

It would be unbelievably cool tbh. I'm a fan of both guys but I'd be rooting for Wandy without question.
george112
9/13/12 10:49:13PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

True.

It would feel like when Maynard stuffed guidas takedown and slapped on that guillotine after letting him hit him In the face

PUMPED:D