ffforgottenx
3/12/07 12:27:16PM
source: link

UFC 71: MAY 26, 2007 IN LAS VEGAS, NEVADA

-Chuck Liddell (#1 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. TBA
-Quinton Jackson (#7 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. TBA
-Keith Jardine vs. TBA

-Tito Ortiz (#8 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Rashad Evans
-Karo Parisyan (#5 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Josh Burkman (#10 Welterweight in the World)*
-Ivan Salaverry vs. Terry Martin
-Chris Leben vs. Kalib Starnes
-Eric Schafer vs. Sean Salmon

-----------------------------

the return of salavery.. sounds good to me

thoughts?
Rich78
3/12/07 12:33:14PM
To be honest, my first thought is.... who is Ivan Salaverry!?!?

I'm sure I know his name from some ufc undercard fights but don't know much about him.

If anyone can enlighten me I'd be much obliged
ffforgottenx
3/12/07 12:49:26PM

Posted by Rich78

To be honest, my first thought is.... who is Ivan Salaverry!?!?

I'm sure I know his name from some ufc undercard fights but don't know much about him.

If anyone can enlighten me I'd be much obliged

12-4, 4 time UFC vet, defeated andei semenov (TKO, UFC 37), tony fryklund (sub, UFC 50), and joe riggs (sub, UFC 52), and then was dropped by the UFC after a snooze-fest of a fight with nate marquardt in which he lost the decision.. fought for the WFA after that, got his contract bought again by zuffa.. and now he is back

hes pretty unorthodox, but he is a good fighter.. trains with AMC pankration
Mayo
3/12/07 2:05:51PM
I'm glad Salaverry is back! He was in such a good rythm until that fight with Nate. I still remember the great TKO he got on Riggs... Ivan laying on his back, Riggs dives in, Ivan's foot says hello to Riggs face
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
SICKRICK
3/12/07 3:13:40PM
salaverry is a good fight and i think he puts on a good fight every time he is in the ring, good stand up and good submissions
madmarck
3/12/07 3:54:14PM

Posted by Mayo

I'm glad Salaverry is back! He was in such a good rythm until that fight with Nate. I still remember the great TKO he got on Riggs... Ivan laying on his back, Riggs dives in, Ivan's foot says hello to Riggs face

He caught him a triangle after the boot to the face too. Talk about slick. Im exicted to see Salaverry back in the UFC (via WFA contract). he is a great ground figher. Who has only lost to the best. Just look at his losses:
Matt Lindland by decision
Nate Marqard by decision
Rene Rooz by TKO (broken finger) Rooze is 6'5'' and 230
Akira Gono early in his carrer by a spinning back kick.
Gladiator
3/12/07 5:27:56PM
definitely excited to see ivan back in the ufc, i hope he destroys martin so we wont have to hear him say "I WANT MICHAEL SWICK, MIIICHAELLLL SWICK!"
loller90278
3/12/07 5:30:50PM
burkmann is #10 WW in the world?
blasphemy.

oh, and salaverry is a good, entertaining, unorthodox fighter
Stickan
3/12/07 5:51:55PM
Nice to see Ivan back in the UFC. It's gonna be an exciting fight but I'm picking Ivan by sub.

btw. loved how he messed up Fryklunds back.
FBD
3/12/07 10:24:59PM
UFC 71 is going to be bad ass. honestly i dont know if ivan can take martin, this should be a great fight, but martin might end up with the KO.
Northrend
3/12/07 11:18:29PM
Ivan is a crazy fighter, trains with a great team (AMC Pankration I believe)
and has some big wins. Can't wait to see him again.
ffforgottenx
3/13/07 9:04:48AM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Mayo

He caught him a triangle after the boot to the face too. Talk about slick. Im exicted to see Salaverry back in the UFC (via WFA contract). he is a great ground figher. Who has only lost to the best. Just look at his losses:
Matt Lindland by decision
Nate Marqard by decision
Rene Rooz by TKO (broken finger) Rooze is 6'5'' and 230
Akira Gono early in his carrer by a spinning back kick.

you mean akihiro gono.. right buddy? haha
just messing
one of the sickest spinning back kicks ever though.. ivan was in alot of pain
ninja
3/13/07 9:18:47AM
I think salaverry has had some good fights, but I dont see him winning this one, i believe Martin is stronger , he has better standup skills and good submission defense. Martin TKO.

Nevertheless, Salaverry deserves this shot in the UFC, he always puts a good fight, good for him.
hippysmacker
3/13/07 11:20:44PM
I think Salaverry was in line for a title shot if beat Marquardt. The snooze fest ruined it, although I think they actually overreacted by cutting him at the time. Still, a boring televised main event didn't help. I think if he goes back to being the guy before that fight he will be a contender soon.
aceprone
3/14/07 3:29:24AM
I think this is going to make for a great match up. A strong powerful puncher with unorthadox Salavery. One of my favorit finishes is when Salavery put the body triangle on Tony Fryykud. At that time that was one of most amazing submissions I've ever seen. I still do think it's up there.
migo
3/14/07 5:14:03AM
Also has a loss to Adam Ryan.
madmarck
3/14/07 10:21:01AM

Posted by Stickan

Nice to see Ivan back in the UFC. It's gonna be an exciting fight but I'm picking Ivan by sub.

btw. loved how he messed up Fryklunds back.

That was sick shit. He turned a Fig 4 body lock into a submission. Tony looked like he was near crying from it. Salaverry has some sick subs.

Posted by migo

Also has a loss to Adam Ryan.

Who is Adam Ryan? He is not listed in any of Ivans fight records. No is he listed on the Sherdog fightfinder .
tepid55
3/14/07 10:40:16PM
It will be great to see Salaverry back in the octagon. Look out Middleweight
division.
OchoCinco
3/15/07 10:01:03AM
Glad Ivans back. I don't think he should ever have been let go. He'll destroy Martin.
Mayo
3/15/07 11:31:16AM
Does anybody have a link for video of that Fryklund fight?
ffforgottenx
3/15/07 11:46:16AM

Posted by Mayo

Does anybody have a link for video of that Fryklund fight?

checked everywhere i could for you, no luck.. sorry man