Rumor: Jake Shields in for Vitor Belfort against Jorge Santiago

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rumor: Jake Shields in for Vitor Belfort against Jorge Santiago
ufc88
7/22/09 11:13:28PM
http://www.mmatraining.com/featured/rumour-jake-shields-vs-jorge-santiago-at-affliction-3/

Great replacement, but I don't want to see an out of shape Jake Shields diving for takedowns and gassing early against a much stronger better conditioned fighter

I would love to see this fight with both fighters having the same time to prepare and knowingly facing each other
Irish_Pride
7/22/09 11:20:58PM
Sounds like a great fight. Hopefully Shields has been training and is in shape though. If he isn't in shape, I don't think this fight is going be all too exciting. Let's all just hope.
Nightmare27
7/22/09 11:35:51PM
I still not so big on Fedor vs Belfort but this is a step in the right direction.
Jimbo
7/22/09 11:43:37PM
Belfort vs Fedor isnt finalized yet is it?
Jackelope
7/22/09 11:56:39PM
This is a mistake on Jake Shields' part if he does step in. In my humble opinion, anyways. He will be outsized, out struck, and most likely be slightly out of shape. I always like watching Shields fight, but he's risking top 10 status with this move. We already saw Carlos Condit drop out of the top 10 as a result of a very close split decision that could have easily gone his way.

When most of your fights are outside of the UFC, regaining that top 10 status is extremely difficult.
Twenty20Dollars
7/23/09 12:02:05AM
Maybe shields could have been training since his last fight ended quickly. Kept training to get another fight soon.

But who knows anything yet.
bojangalz
7/23/09 12:34:18AM

Posted by Jackelope

This is a mistake on Jake Shields' part if he does step in. In my humble opinion, anyways. He will be outsized, out struck, and most likely be slightly out of shape. I always like watching Shields fight, but he's risking top 10 status with this move. We already saw Carlos Condit drop out of the top 10 as a result of a very close split decision that could have easily gone his way.

When most of your fights are outside of the UFC, regaining that top 10 status is extremely difficult.

I doubt Shields is even worried about his "status" in a top 10 ranking. Rankings are nothing more then a blogger's opinion and have no bearing on actual paydays and/or match-ups anyway. Aside from that, this fight is taking place at 185 pounds so it should theoretically have no bearing on 170 pound rankings.

The fact is, he could probably hold Affliction up for some decent cash by accepting a fight on short notice; and money talks. Besides that I really don't think he'd consider the fight unless he was in shape and believed he had a chance to win. Given the alternatives I think this is a great rebound for Affliction, and I'd love to see it happen. (Though truthfully, I'd rather see Fedor fight someone other then Vitor)
Jackelope
7/23/09 12:54:18AM

Posted by bojangalz

I doubt Shields is even worried about his "status" in a top 10 ranking. Rankings are nothing more then a blogger's opinion and have no bearing on actual paydays and/or match-ups anyway. Aside from that, this fight is taking place at 185 pounds so it should theoretically have no bearing on 170 pound rankings.

The fact is, he could probably hold Affliction up for some decent cash by accepting a fight on short notice; and money talks. Besides that I really don't think he'd consider the fight unless he was in shape and believed he had a chance to win. Given the alternatives I think this is a great rebound for Affliction, and I'd love to see it happen. (Though truthfully, I'd rather see Fedor fight someone other then Vitor)

You've got some good points, there. Although I do think Shields' top 10 status means something to him. I don't know many fighters that don't care about their status in the rankings. Whether they're in the UFC or out of it, it's a pride thing. Most of these guys are pretty proud dudes. I'm sure it matters a little bit.

Still, if I was a top 10 and I had a chance to possibly lose that status in exchange for a couple hundred thousand dollars... I think you've made my mind up for me
seanfu
7/23/09 12:59:50AM
20$ says Belfort by knockout. These conditions are too good for an upset.
Hendo67
7/23/09 1:03:34AM

Posted by seanfu

20$ says Belfort by knockout. These conditions are too good for an upset.

I'll take this bet
prozacnation1978
7/23/09 1:27:03AM
shileds is a gamer
no one else left to fight outside ufc
higdon10
7/23/09 1:47:49AM
Shields is a tough dude. He isn't gonna lie down for Santiago. I wouldnt be suprised to see him win this fight.
Wolfenstein
7/23/09 3:39:04AM
I really like this matchup. Maybe I'm in the minority but I think Jake Shields could be #1 at WW and MW. His grappling skills are top of the food chain. He's probably the only WW GSP would avoid going to the ground with. I think very highly of Jake, and I think he could probably beat Santiago on two days notice.
Kpro
7/23/09 4:48:15AM
Shields will dominate Santiago and end it in the first 2 rounds if this fight happens.

Keep sleepin on him.
sclasclemski
7/23/09 7:03:59AM
I like this fight if Jake wins he propels himself smack dab into the mix of the MW rankings
postman
7/23/09 8:17:38AM

Posted by Kpro

Shields will dominate Santiago and end it in the first 2 rounds if this fight happens.

Keep sleepin on him.

Why don't you talk your boyfriend into a rematch so I can see Santiago Belfort like I want to.
higdon10
7/23/09 1:55:02PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Kpro

Keep sleepin on him.

Why don't you talk your boyfriend into a rematch so I can see Santiago Belfort like I want to.

StorminYourman
7/23/09 2:04:30PM
I <3 this match up
The_Metal_Maniac
7/23/09 2:35:07PM
This fight has bad news written all over it for Shields. Shields taking this fight on short notice for one, who knows how much he's trained since the Robbie fight. Santiago supplies a gigantic challenge probably more so that Robbie did. He's on an incredible win streak and has looked great in his past fights. Affliction is probably throwing a large pay day at Shields which is causing him to take this fight. I'm taking Santiago, just like I was taking him against Vitor.
cmill21
7/23/09 3:05:37PM
The barnett incident ruined this card, I was so looking foreward to the santiago belfort fight and the barny fedor finally tilt.