Rumor: Fedor Emelianenko Will Run for Senate and May Retire at the End of his Strikeforce Contract

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Rumor: Fedor Emelianenko Will Run for Senate and May Retire at the End of his Strikeforce Contract
grappler0000
6/4/10 5:32:52PM

Huge news. Massive. Just received an email from a very reliable source from Russia that Fedor will be running for a congress seat in Russia for the pro-Kremlin party 'United Russia'. The party is dominant in the country and holds around 80% of the seats in the senate and Fedor will be representing his region. That's a fact. Just wait for the official announcement which will probably come at the end of this week if not in the next few hours. Now the accompanied rumor is that after Fedor fulfills the last two fights in his Strikeforce contract, he will retire from MMA.

Source
BlueSkiesBurn
6/4/10 5:39:59PM
May as well retire. M-1 won't let him sign with UFC and his legacy is pretty much sealed. He can now armbar his fellow constituents into agreeing with his policies. Fedor in politics
sclasclemski
6/4/10 5:43:15PM
I love watching him fight but honestly it would reall just be better for him to retire then to keep dodging the best.
tcunningham
6/4/10 5:50:58PM
hes done his time. IMO hes out of his prime we just haven't seen it yet. rogers was never a good match up for fador and he was doing really good. Alistair would probable KO fedor now. i cant believe it actually happened, but i took fedor out of the #1 ranked heavyweight spot. i just don't think hes a factor anymore.
sbulldavid
6/4/10 5:52:59PM
I don't care anymore, it's sad to have seen his prime years wasted, and never even challenge the next generation of fighters. I'm not a big Couture fan but I've got huge respect for him seeking to fight the best fighters on any given day. Fedor was so much more, yet he's going to be largely forgotten except when we mention Pride. It's kind of like Dr J in the ABA and Dr J in the NBA, he has been good since Pride, but he hasn't proven his greatness in a more modern world.
cowcatcher
6/4/10 5:54:11PM
this article is wrong, its parliament, not senate, hes one of like 58 candidates, and his people have come out and said that choosing one over the other was never talked about. this site just named 3 things theyve been right about, but id love to see the list of stuff theyve been wrong about, and i dont trust a site that has 3 guys(one being seth petruzelli) having a 3 way tongue touching. plus this site is basically MMAs version of TMZ, its a douche party over there.

heres sherdogs article on it: link

dont get me wrong they got some things right that were already reported this morning by numerous websites, but the way it reads about how huge this is is completely over sensationalizing it.
DCRage
6/4/10 6:02:22PM
Cage Potato's picked it up, so it's legit. Besides, all Fedor needs to lock it up is to show up for speeches & appearances in-what else? The Glorious Sweater Of Absolute Victory.
cowcatcher
6/4/10 6:06:15PM
where in the actual press release does it say anything about quitting???? only the guys at middle easy said that, and cage potato used ME's conjecture when posting the story. i know hes running, i want to know where it says he might hang em up? im not saying he wouldnt after his contract, im saying its just people making guesses and then printing them.

EDIT: and grappler, glad you posted it, its newsworthy that hes running, i just think as much of middleeasy as i do about mmabay and thats why im ranting a little.
grappler0000
6/4/10 6:18:58PM

Posted by cowcatcher

where in the actual press release does it say anything about quitting???? only the guys at middle easy said that, and cage potato used ME's conjecture when posting the story. i know hes running, i want to know where it says he might hang em up? im not saying he wouldnt after his contract, im saying its just people making guesses and then printing them.

EDIT: and grappler, glad you posted it, its newsworthy that hes running, i just think as much of middleeasy as i do about mmabay and thats why im ranting a little.

The running was fact...the retiring part was the rumor. I gotta stand up for ME here though. They are very tongue in cheek, but I would consider them legitimate. And they didn't try to sell the retirement as fact, like some other sites would have. I understand the "you heard it here first" sounds very MMABay, but knowing their humor, it's more for the regular readers than it is putting their stamp on the story.

Edit:
And it's actually funny...I read stuff on their site before it hits the bigger sites quite frequently...I don't usually post it as news from their site though, since the language in their articles would probably not be a good fit for the news section here.
marcoDGK
6/4/10 6:28:47PM
Hope he retires on top! he deserves it!
BlueSkiesBurn
6/4/10 6:30:05PM
I'm with you Grappler0000, I follow MiddleEasy on twitter. I get their updates frequently and so far, off the stuff I've checked, it has all been legit. He is very tongue-in-cheek, though.
zxandu
6/4/10 11:35:57PM
So Fedor may retire? There goes any chance of a Lesner/Fedor match-up.

Damn it... it was never going to happen anyway.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/4/10 11:41:31PM
There it goes? Javier, it would have had to have come first for it to have gone and went. It never came, brother. It sat around and thought about coming but ultimately it's big brother decided that there wasn't enough incentive or profit sharing for it to show up.