Rumor: Affliction has sold only 1,500 tix for "Day of Reckoning"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Rumor: Affliction has sold only 1,500 tix for "Day of Reckoning"
telnights
1/9/09 3:22:29PM
During the Affliction “Day of Reckoning” teleconference Affliction VP Tom Attencio was asked by MMAJunkie John Morgan whether reports that the company has only sold a measly 1,500 tickets were true. He answered the question the way Ricky Martin does when asked about his sexuality; he would neither confirm or deny it.

If the reports were false, you can be damn sure that Attencio would be gung-ho to call bullshit, so the fact that he isn’t willing to say yes or no is pretty clear indication that Affliction is indeed having a tough time at the gate.

LINK

Sure hope this isn't true but if so this is bad for Affliction.
postman
1/9/09 3:29:29PM
If it where near me I would be there.
Darnok
1/9/09 3:29:29PM
I think part of the problem is that in this tough economy you need the people who are true MMA fans and have enough disposable income. That place is Vegas.

If I lived near the event I would stand outside untill they started giving tickets away.
tuvok500
1/9/09 3:34:17PM
Bad news for them but very good news for the UFC !!

As a guy who want to see the MMA becoming like the NFL where all the best fighters are facing each other under the same rules in the same organization ( the UFC ) i am glad to see those numbers !!

tuvok500
1/9/09 3:35:52PM

Posted by Darnok

I think part of the problem is that in this tough economy you need the people who are true MMA fans and have enough disposable income. That place is Vegas.

If I lived near the event I would stand outside untill they started giving tickets away.

I agree that the best strategy is to wait for the free tickets !!

loller90278
1/9/09 3:46:19PM
atencio addressed this rumor and said hes fine with the way ticket sales are going. i dont think its logical for the first event to sell out, and this event only selling 1500, recession or not.
telnights
1/9/09 4:28:21PM

Posted by loller90278

atencio addressed this rumor and said hes fine with the way ticket sales are going. i dont think its logical for the first event to sell out, and this event only selling 1500, recession or not.

You do know they canceled their last show due to a lack of ticket sales. Affliction said everything was going great up till the date of cancellation.
cmill21
1/9/09 4:46:07PM
Well the 2nd most valuble franchise in the NFL just laid off 20 people. I don't know how bad it is down there but everything seems to be going down hill with sports. Of course mma will feel it, especially the org that isn't well known amongst the masses.
loller90278
1/9/09 7:44:39PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by loller90278

You do know they canceled their last show due to a lack of ticket sales. Affliction said everything was going great up till the date of cancellation.

ticket sales, lack of fedor, new las vegas venue had to do with it. i'm going again this time and ill see if it only sells 1500...
RampageOwnedYou
1/9/09 8:05:19PM
Bring it to Toronto. I guarantee it would sell out Air Canada Centre easily.

Fedor vs Andrei is huge. Cant understand how only 1,500 has just sold. Guess whoever picked that location for the fight, has his bags packed.
mrsmiley
1/9/09 8:19:03PM
One thing I'm wondering is if the UFC has dropped their ticket prices?
I remember just 2-3 years ago people were telling me they were paying between 50-65 dollars for nose bleed seats.
I heard and advertisment for an upcoming event in Ohio (were I live) and the promo stated tickets were as low as 35 dollars.

I'm guessing Affliction tickets are as overpriced as their shirts.Though I thought
"BANNED" was an awesome event,their's always the chance this could be their last event.Though from what I've herd,Affliction seems to understand their spot in the sport,and have stated they are prepared,and realistic about were they stand.

I would say Affliction should hold a card in Japan,despite hearing MMA in Japan is on a downhill slop as well,I still think the Japanese fans would have a much,much,greater appreciate for this card.
tuvok500
1/9/09 9:01:42PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I remember just 2-3 years ago people were telling me they were paying between 50-65 dollars for nose bleed seats.
I heard and advertisment for an upcoming event in Ohio (were I live) and the promo stated tickets were as low as 35 dollars.

I'm guessing Affliction tickets are as overpriced as their shirts.Though I thought
"BANNED" was an awesome event,their's always the chance this could be their last event.Though from what I've herd,Affliction seems to understand their spot in the sport,and have stated they are prepared,and realistic about were they stand.

I would say Affliction should hold a card in Japan,despite hearing MMA in Japan is on a downhill slop as well,I still think the Japanese fans would have a much,much,greater appreciate for this card.

UFC 94 tickets price who take place in Vegas are :

750$
500$
300$
200$
100$
50$

UFC 96 tickets price who take place in Columbus are :

352$
252$
152$
102$
62$
37$

I really hope UFC 97 in Montreal gonna be like the Columbus event or even cheaper !!

D0wnUnd6e6r
1/9/09 9:02:48PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by mrsmiley

UFC 94 tickets price who take place in Vegas are :

750$
500$
300$
200$
100$
50$

UFC 96 tickets price who take place in Columbus are :

352$
252$
152$
102$
62$
37$

I really hope UFC 97 in Montreal gonna be like the Columbus event or even cheaper !!

I second that, it would be nuts, id go for 352 fo shoooo
JimiMak
1/9/09 9:14:43PM
you never know if it pans out, but I remeber a Dana interview fairly recently where he said the economy is hitting everyone and that tix prices will have to reflect that. Of course they can always charge a lot in Vegas.
Wolfenstein
1/10/09 2:09:41AM
Not a surprise since Golden Boy is holding a superfight between Sugar" Shane Mosley and Antonio Margarito on the same day right down the street. It sucks to change venues twice, but they should have done so, because these ticket sales are the result.
BDON911
1/10/09 3:07:49AM
I saw this earlier. Hope it isn't true.

Something tells me it can't be this bad...
breakdown5
1/10/09 9:09:08AM
If this is the truth, it does not look good for Affliction to even make it to their third show. It's not really that surprising that Fedor/Arlovski is not a huge draw for the average fan because the casual fan only knows the UFC and not MMA.

I'd go if it wasn't on the opposite side of the country. The rumors very well could be true. I just checked ticket master and there are still ringside seats left only two weeks out from the event(and they are $1000) I didn't check the more moderately priced seating, which probably sold faster. But its looking like the floor and the upper level are probably empty. They'll probably comp a ton of tickets to fill the venue in the next few weeks. Even the last UFC event, Zuffa comped around four thousand tickets I believe.

It's not looking good for Affliction. Hopefully the UFC will get Arlovski back, and I'll always hold a little bit of hope that Fedor will fight in the UFC one day. The casual American fan should know of his greatness.
warglory
1/10/09 10:14:43AM
Not to mention that there has been very little advertising done for this show. It's two weeks out and I haven't even seen online advertising on MMA sites for this thing!
AchillesHeel
1/10/09 11:34:47AM

Posted by warglory

Not to mention that there has been very little advertising done for this show. It's two weeks out and I haven't even seen online advertising on MMA sites for this thing!

I had the same thought. They have only themselves to blame. It's like they're keeping it a secret. Dana White and the UFC have the advantage that nobody else running an MMA promotion in the US seems able to combine MMA with promotion.
casey64
1/10/09 2:18:50PM

Posted by postman

If it where near me I would be there.

Exactly.
JimiMak
1/10/09 4:32:09PM

Posted by breakdown5

They'll probably comp a ton of tickets to fill the venue in the next few weeks. Even the last UFC event, Zuffa comped around four thousand tickets I believe.

Gotta love comp tix, every event in the world from concerts to sporting events to whatever does it. Depending on the event (sounds like this may be one) you can get tix simply by hanging out all day outside of the arena looking for autographs and MORE IMPORTANTLY trying to get a friendly convo w/ some security and some scalpers. Security are the ppl that may know who has tix to comp and point you out as cool, they're also the last line of defense and can sneek you in to an empty arena w/o getting in trouble. Scalpers have been known to give out tix to cool ppl when the show gets late enuf that they can't sell them anymore and either go in or leave.

I wish I lived there I'd be callling the radio stations etc and showing up day of to hang out if I didn't get them yet.
hippysmacker
1/12/09 9:58:21AM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by breakdown5

They'll probably comp a ton of tickets to fill the venue in the next few weeks. Even the last UFC event, Zuffa comped around four thousand tickets I believe.

Gotta love comp tix, every event in the world from concerts to sporting events to whatever does it. Depending on the event (sounds like this may be one) you can get tix simply by hanging out all day outside of the arena looking for autographs and MORE IMPORTANTLY trying to get a friendly convo w/ some security and some scalpers. Security are the ppl that may know who has tix to comp and point you out as cool, they're also the last line of defense and can sneek you in to an empty arena w/o getting in trouble. Scalpers have been known to give out tix to cool ppl when the show gets late enuf that they can't sell them anymore and either go in or leave.

I wish I lived there I'd be callling the radio stations etc and showing up day of to hang out if I didn't get them yet.

As a guy who used to work security at many Concerts /sporting events during college ,I can tell you this %100 true