Rule changes you'd like to see in the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Rule changes you'd like to see in the UFC
Next Page »
big_timmy
2/27/08 1:26:40AM
Specifically in the UFC, what rule changes would you like to see?

I would personally like to see headbutts. If you are willing to pound your opponents head with yours, then by all means.
BlazinSaddle
2/27/08 1:32:44AM
60 second lay and pray clock in effect

take away the soccor kick rule
big_timmy
2/27/08 1:38:24AM
I know there is no kicking to a downed opponent, but what exactly is this soccer kick rule? I've heard the term used before, but not sure what it refers to. Is it just the kicking a downed guy rule?

Cause i would like to see knees on the ground to the head, but no kicking a downed man in the head.
BlazinSaddle
2/27/08 1:43:27AM

Posted by big_timmy

I know there is no kicking to a downed opponent, but what exactly is this soccer kick rule? I've heard the term used before, but not sure what it refers to. Is it just the kicking a downed guy rule?

Cause i would like to see knees on the ground to the head, but no kicking a downed man in the head.

well knees to the head of a downed opponent is not allowed

soccor kicks are when there on the ground and you kick there head like its a ball

basically you cant attack the head with your legs when there on the ground, to get more in depth they have to be off there knees or not have a hand on the ground for you to use these attacks, soccor kicks are allowed just depends where they are on the ground
hippysmacker
2/27/08 1:56:08AM
Knees to the head added on the ground will probably be the most popular IMO, according to the last time this question was asked. It's definitely my #1.
big_timmy
2/27/08 2:07:20AM
I think headbutts and knees should be abled.
If a fighter can get the position, and the other opponent can't defend himself against it, then all the more to the striker.
Pookie
2/27/08 2:31:56AM
Knees should already be in place in all seriousness...
I would like soccer kicks added too, but i know it will never happen... poor shogun
ufcboss
2/27/08 2:33:28AM
I dont like head-butts, They are a little too primative.
But I think they should able knees/kicks to a downed fighter, They look bad but how many fighters in PRIDE died? It will make the sport more "ULTIMATE".

Jackelope
2/27/08 3:08:50AM
Well, I'd like to see more sanctioning in different states so realistically I don't want to see anything changed. As the rules are it is becoming more and more accepted, which is good.

Headbutts open up a LOT of cuts, and I don't know about you guys but there's nothing I hate seeing more than a fight stopped because of a cut.

I really wouldn't have a problem with knees on the ground or soccer kicks, but I don't see the general public being quite so friendly with these. I actually think knees on the ground would probably be the best addition because it adds so much to the ground game and takes away the "boringness" of it in most people's eyes. It would have to be the same rules as punches, though. None to the back of the head or top of the head and such. It's a dangerous thing to allow, though.
Kastro
2/27/08 3:15:20AM
I would like to see the yellow card rule in effect that was in Pride, if a fighter is not actually fighting or maintaining the "action" as they like to call it they get a warning and lose 10% of their purse.

I would also like to see kicks and stomps to a downed opponent as well as knee's to the head on the ground though im almost 100% it will never be allowed by the AC's.

telnights
2/27/08 4:03:20AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Knees to the head added on the ground will probably be the most popular IMO, according to the last time this question was asked. It's definitely my #1.

I think knees to a downed fighters head will help resolve a lot of peoples issues with some fights (I like the ground game but some people think if its on the ground more than 20 seconds without action it should be stood back up. It would also resolve what a lot of people call LnP) . It will make wrestlers think twice about sloppy shots at take downs. It will also cause the ground games to become a lot more active. North South position will mean something now. Fighters will have to be more thoughtful of head placement and many other things. Dana has said a few times that he is trying to get this rule changed and thinks it will be in the next year or so. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Nevada State Athletic Commission change this rule by years end and the rest of the athletic commissions will shortly follow behind them.

Now on soccer kicks/stomps they have no place in the cage. They work ok in a ring but in cage they are just to dangerous to the fighters. The problem is in a cage when up against the fence you have no where to go as apposed to a ring where its easy to escape almost all the time (there are some exceptions to this rule but not many).
DCRage
2/27/08 7:41:30AM
I'd like the knees to downed opponent and also the elbows like in the early UFCs. I know they do allow elbows on the ground but only to a certain extent. As for foot stomps I'd be alright with those as long as stomps to the head/face aren't allowed-that's a bit too dangerous for me.
slick781
2/27/08 9:18:27AM
I think the rules they have now are solid. Knees to the head, like everyone else says, is the only other thing to be considered as far as additional strikes are concerned. However, they are still just too dangerous, especially for the general public. I get a queasy feeling many times when I watch pride fights and see the face stomps and knees to the top of the head or dropping knees on the face. Theres just no need for it.

The best ideas on here are a decrease in pay for poor performance and being more aggressive in standing fighters up.
NewGuy
2/27/08 9:59:30AM
I would like to see more of a reward for winning huge. It’s probably not a popular sentiment, but I feel the winning fighter should get the larger of the two fight contracts if the fight ends in a KO/TKO, Submission or Ref Stoppage. If the fight ends up in the Judges hands then both fighters get what ever money they signed for.

Example: If Chris Wilson pulls off an upset by KOing Jon Fitch then Wilson should get the money Fitch was slated to make while Fitch takes home Wilson’s contract payout.

If the fighter with the larger contract gets angry about losing his purse, then he should have steeped up and won the fight he was suppose to.
puppetmaster837
2/27/08 10:01:49AM
Knees to the head and soccer kicks for sure, lets bring Vale Tudo back!
CactusBob
2/27/08 1:35:11PM
I would like to see some wrist manipulation. While it could be argued that it might make fighters more tentative to press the action for fear of broken wrists, it would also give a very convincing method for less skilled fighters to limit lay n pray.
emfleek
2/27/08 1:36:23PM
None. I'm perfectly fine with the way it is.
CantAndleDaRiddum
2/27/08 1:55:46PM

Posted by hippysmacker

agreed
jocka
2/27/08 3:10:25PM

Posted by NewGuy

I would like to see more of a reward for winning huge. It’s probably not a popular sentiment, but I feel the winning fighter should get the larger of the two fight contracts if the fight ends in a KO/TKO, Submission or Ref Stoppage. If the fight ends up in the Judges hands then both fighters get what ever money they signed for.

Example: If Chris Wilson pulls off an upset by KOing Jon Fitch then Wilson should get the money Fitch was slated to make while Fitch takes home Wilson’s contract payout.

If the fighter with the larger contract gets angry about losing his purse, then he should have steeped up and won the fight he was suppose to.

I like your idea but i don t think that would ever happend but it is a good idea.
iwannabesedated
2/27/08 3:17:26PM
I think the rules are fine just as they are.I like the Elbows better than the Stomps and soccer kicks.
bls1919
2/27/08 9:20:56PM
All I want is headbutts abd Knee to the head to a downed openent.no kicks but knees
big_timmy
2/28/08 1:04:00AM
I think there should be a bonus for finishing a fight, as well as the sub, knock out, and fight of the night. Or even tell a fighter that he only gets half a sum if he loses, but double if he wins, which is a slight change on what happens now.

Eg. A fighter signs for $100 000. If he wins he gets $200 000, but if he loses he gets $50 000.
cmill21
2/28/08 1:07:10AM
Knees to the head, stomps, and no elbows. I don't like soccer kicks, and I don't like seeing elbows slice people with just a glancing blow. I guess I don't get how pure bone with a sharp point is safer then pure bone thats blunt and alot harder to maneuver into position to strike...
chuteboxe75
2/28/08 11:06:23AM
I'd love to see soccer kicks and knees to the head of a down opponent allowed, and the 60 second lay and pray clock in effect.
tepid55
2/28/08 11:49:18AM
I would like to see the old overtime rule come back. When Mark Coleman and Maurice Smith fought at UFC 14, there was a 15-minute regulation time period and 2 3-minute overtime periods.
emfleek
2/28/08 11:50:56AM
Now that I think about it...I like the idea of the OT period. If the fight is declared a Draw, the fighters should go one more round.
jocksmall
2/28/08 4:30:10PM
use pride scoring system, and card system
Khon_Nan
2/28/08 11:20:54PM
I would like to see Pride rules with added elbows
NewGuy
2/28/08 11:54:56PM

Posted by tepid55

I would like to see the old overtime rule come back. When Mark Coleman and Maurice Smith fought at UFC 14, there was a 15-minute regulation time period and 2 3-minute overtime periods.

That would be a great rule change
fullmetaljacket703
2/29/08 4:07:48AM
I would like to see knee's on the ground and headbutts allowed.
Pages: [1] 2