The Rubber Guard, Good or Bad?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The Rubber Guard, Good or Bad?
POLL: Is The Rubber Guard Effective?
Yes, But Only BJJ 5% (2)
Yes, But Only MMA 5% (2)
Yes, In Both BJJ and MMA 90% (37)
No, It's Not Effective In Any of Them 0% (0)
Ben_Hutch
6/27/08 10:46:14PM
If used correctly I think it's deadly in both MMA and BJJ. It's hard to defend against and a lot of submissions can come from it if you know what you're doing...........Good I say
fullerene
6/27/08 10:52:45PM
I can't imagine anyone would say that it's not good if used correctly. The only downside I see is that Rogan (who is one of Eddie Bravo's students) talks about it so much that it's starting to become standard vocabulary for guys who barely know any jiu-jitsu at all.

king_katool
6/27/08 11:41:43PM
ye the rubber guard is kick ass i howl when my buddy say BJJ is stupid so we put the gloves on start throwing and ill catch them in a triangle or armbar from the ruber guard lol " you got lucky" is the most common response
Ben_Hutch
6/28/08 12:11:21AM

Posted by fullerene

I can't imagine anyone would say that it's not good if used correctly. The only downside I see is that Rogan (who is one of Eddie Bravo's students) talks about it so much that it's starting to become standard vocabulary for guys who barely know any jiu-jitsu at all.

I love Joe Rogan, but he sucks Eddie Bravo's dick way to much. Not taking anything away from Eddie as the guy is an incredible BJJ practicioner, but i wish Rogan would stop going on about how incredible BJJ is. Having said that, I'm hopefully going to start BJJ in a few weeks lol.
bullettdodger
6/28/08 12:31:48AM
Im studying Bravo JJ and i love the rubber guard, mission control, new york, and chill dog are some of best position to be in on the bottom as submissions just flow. They're just there and all you have to do is let it happen... for the rubber guard
Khaos
6/28/08 3:56:53AM
I say it's very effective and dangerious in a fight, but it's a bitch to do correctly.

Being 15, with no formal training, I rely on the JJ books, I happen to have Eddie Bravo's first, so I'm pretty good with the rubber guard.
teddythetuna
6/28/08 12:24:40PM
Its great if used correctly.
HMA123
6/28/08 8:37:43PM

Posted by teddythetuna

Its great if used correctly.

exactly.. if you really now how to get it, and when you have it - you no what your doing.. then its great, but i been training the rubber guard for a while now, and for me its hard to get when rolling someone as i good as you or better, practice it alot then go for it.. and when you have it make sure you have a good grip because if they have a strong neck/or against a strong wrestler they can most of the time power out if it .. never tried it in mma and you rarely see it, yeah you hear them trying to go for it, but i never heard someone succesfuly getting it in MMA comp. but like i said practice it,learn it, use it.
Diaz311Franca
6/29/08 3:08:32AM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

If used correctly I think it's deadly in both MMA and BJJ. It's hard to defend against and a lot of submissions can come from it if you know what you're doing...........Good I say

it's actually real easy to defend against. Just keep your shoulders square if someone is going for it. If someone does manage to pull off rubber-guard on you, you can sommer-sault out or step your foot over their head to escape.
Ben_Hutch
6/29/08 8:20:59AM

Posted by ButtRaper

Posted by Ben_Hutch

it's actually real easy to defend against. Just keep your shoulders square if someone is going for it. If someone does manage to pull off rubber-guard on you, you can sommer-sault out or step your foot over their head to escape.

No, it is not easy to defend against.

If you trained against people who are any good at the rubber guard, you wouldn't be saying that.
MMAcca
6/29/08 10:18:49AM
Diaz311Franca
6/30/08 12:48:10AM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by ButtRaper

Posted by Ben_Hutch

No, it is not easy to defend against.

If you trained against people who are any good at the rubber guard, you wouldn't be saying that.

actually it is easy to defend against. why do you think it is so rare to see omoplata's and gogoplata's done in mma or bjj? or maybe if you actually trained bjj, you might know that.
gsquat
6/30/08 10:10:14AM

Posted by ButtRaper

actually it is easy to defend against. why do you think it is so rare to see omoplata's and gogoplata's done in mma or bjj? or maybe if you actually trained bjj, you might know that.

Gogo's and especially omo's are several steps beyond rubber guard you schmuck. Thats why you see so little of them. If instinctual to the bottom fighter, it's easy to pull rubber guard and very hard to defend against it.
fullerene
6/30/08 10:57:25AM

Posted by ButtRaper
hy do you think it is so rare to see omoplata's and gogoplata's done in mma or bjj? or maybe if you actually trained bjj, you might know that.

This is a good question. Some of it might be a lack of real BJJ skill (in MMA) and flexibility. It also requires a subtle setup. If you think about what's happening, the attacker needs to move their legs, pivot their hips and grab the other guy's leg all before the defender can move his arm/shoulder into his body or do a flip.