O.K. Does this rub anyone besides me the wrong way?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » O.K. Does this rub anyone besides me the wrong way?
mmeyers1959
4/5/08 3:12:18AM
O.K. Does this rub anyone besides me the wrong way?
http://www.realkarate.com/home.htm
From the above link…

“14. MMA: Mixed Martial Arts: No claimed origin. Rumored to be developed in theory by Bruce Lee since he was one of the first to combine styles, but severely refuted by the Bruce Lee family due to MMA incompetence in action. First MMA is not a system in that it uses no guidelines or form. Its purpose was to take a bunch of martial arts techniques and bring them together for a more effective art, sounds good but fails miserably. Even at the highest levels of skill in the "sport" the level of competence is mediocre at best. It hurts the eyes of a skilled martial arts teacher to watch them fumble around. Good for the not very smart as you don't have to remember much, and good for those with the attention span of a gnat because things change so fast no one knows what happened. No rank levels as there is no systemized program for learning. Good for wrestling around with a sweaty guy in a cage. “

This is the email I sent:
O.K. So I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion, but is it really necessary to insult people. I hope you realize that many MMA people are of traditional origins, and that the reason what you see is so chaotic is because that’s the reality of fighting. I can hardly believe that a trained fighter is unable to see the technical skill, especially at the pro level of MMA. As a Martial artist with 28 years of traditional experience I can only conclude that the description was written by a biased individual, perhaps one who fears some loss of clientele. At any rate, I hope you can find within you the understanding that this type of propaganda is unhealthy for all involved. I have every intention of posting links to this website on every MMA message board I can find.
Sincerely, Mark Meyers

postman
4/5/08 9:37:48AM
Very good reply. Jeet Kune Do is accepted in the blck belt hall of fame. While Bruce Lee did not create JKD to be a competion sport it was the first form of MMA. The Man who created the Universal Martial Arts System Master Kevin Johnson sutdied under both Danny Inosanto, who is actually reconized in Bruce's book Jeet Kune Do as one of his first three students, and Larry Hartsell. Hartsell's research of techniques resulted in additions and innovations to the grappling that now forms the core of the Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do Grappling system. Kevin currently trains the Tennesse Sherifs department. I sudie under one of his students Sergio Dilascio. Serg was a second degree black belt in TKD saw the material Kevin was providing and decided to make the change. While the UMAS still belives in the training of complete fighting style including hair pulling and groin shots It is tought both in a competion form and a street form.
Pookie
4/5/08 10:56:31AM
Seems to be alot of people who dont understand how fighting works, talking about fighting.

Unfortunate that this is under Lee's name, especially since if he was still alive he would set them straight. It seems some of Bruce's family didnt know him like you think they should have.
Rush
4/5/08 12:42:09PM

“14. MMA: Mixed Martial Arts: No claimed origin. Rumored to be developed in theory by Bruce Lee since he was one of the first to combine styles, but severely refuted by the Bruce Lee family due to MMA incompetence in action. First MMA is not a system in that it uses no guidelines or form. Its purpose was to take a bunch of martial arts techniques and bring them together for a more effective art, sounds good but fails miserably. Even at the highest levels of skill in the "sport" the level of competence is mediocre at best. It hurts the eyes of a skilled martial arts teacher to watch them fumble around. Good for the not very smart as you don't have to remember much, and good for those with the attention span of a gnat because things change so fast no one knows what happened. No rank levels as there is no systemized program for learning. Good for wrestling around with a sweaty guy in a cage. “

I bolded some points that apply just as much to traditional martial arts. The funny thing is that a lot of traditional martial arts are not that traditional either. Many are only 100 years old or less.
Jackelope
4/5/08 1:32:41PM
Sounds like a McDojo to me. These comments are the kinds of things people should be paying attention to when attempting to learn a traditional style. My golden rule was any school that puts down another school wasn't one worth looking into.

JimiMak
4/5/08 3:25:00PM

Posted by Jackelope
. My golden rule was any school that puts down another school wasn't one worth looking into.

couldn't have said it better.
Lockfrow
4/5/08 5:46:13PM
Haters got to hate.
Rush
4/5/08 8:13:29PM

Posted by Jackelope

My golden rule was any school that puts down another school wasn't one worth looking into.

When I was training in jujutsu in highschool, we were actually harassed by a sport karate school. They actually came to our place and insulted our instructor in the middle of a class.
seanfu
4/6/08 2:09:28AM
RAAAAAGGEEE. I would have hoped he would've at least actually known the supposed root of MMA, PANKRATION. I'ma hold the hate back though.
hodge
4/7/08 3:42:08PM
I hate people like him theres an ex boxer in the british tabloids called Barry Mcguian hes always putting mma down with absolutely no evidence to his claims. People like him are best just ignored