Rua Re-Injures Knee, Out of UFC 85

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rua Re-Injures Knee, Out of UFC 85
Next Page »
babalu2720
3/4/08 4:02:38PM
Scheduled to make his return to the Octagon this June against Chuck Liddell at UFC 85 in London, light heavyweight star Mauricio “Shogun” Rua has instead been forced to withdraw from the bout due to a ruptured ACL in his left knee, the same injury he had surgery on to repair last October after his UFC 76 fight with Forrest Griffin.

Surgery on the injured knee will be scheduled shortly, and there is no word on when Rua will be cleared to return to the Octagon.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=10635
Ordep
3/4/08 4:08:35PM
This is not good, young but that injury is messing his career already. I would recomend retirement or a long break. Spend sometime with your freaking hot wife Shogun.

Now, who for Lidell ???? almost all the good LHW are scheduled and hopefully they wont come with Bonnar

I'll say screw Tito(even that i like him) and bring Machida
tberg420
3/4/08 4:14:53PM
This puts a huge monkey wrench in the UFC's plans but now it makes sense as to why the UFC didn't say Shogun was fighting Liddell at UFC 85. Do you think that it's possible Dan Henderson would move up? I don't know who else they could put in there against him.
FantasyFighter
3/4/08 4:21:11PM
Anderson Silva anybody?!
DustinT
3/4/08 4:22:51PM
ugh.

sad part is, most others potential matches are already signed for upcoming fights.

i get a gut feeling they just hand it to Bonnar.
DCRage
3/4/08 4:26:36PM
Explains the "Chuck Liddell vs. TBA" on ufc.com. Too bad Wandy's got Jardine next.
ufc88
3/4/08 4:27:59PM
Anderson Silva needs to move up and fight chuck liddell thats what the fans want to see

imagine anderson moves up and relinquishs the belt and trains rich franklin to fight dan henderson
wow
gsquat
3/4/08 4:40:16PM
Quit hurtin' yourself Shogun! We gonna need to put a helmet on you?

A. Silva v Liddell would be an amazing fight, but I don't see that happening. Then again, everyone else in contention is busy at the moment. It will be interesting to see what happens.
babytater03
3/4/08 4:55:00PM

Posted by FantasyFighter

Anderson Silva anybody?!

Not going to happen. I'd love to see it, but it's not going to go down. They literally have not one person, other than Bonnar, to put in place here. THIS SUCKS.
ThaAxeMurderer7
3/4/08 5:20:35PM
I say add Chuck to the ILL Will card to fight Wilson Gouveia. I would like to see this for a number of reasons. First, I have tickets to the event and that would make it the most stacked event in UFC history. Second, the only other opponent I can think of that isn't booked is Bonnar. Third, I believe Chuck has said publicly that he doesn't want to fight in England, he wants to stay in the states. I know its probably not going to happen though, they would have to charge about 70 0r 80 bucks if they added that fight.
Ordep
3/4/08 5:49:30PM

Posted by ufc88

Anderson Silva needs to move up and fight chuck liddell thats what the fans want to see

imagine anderson moves up and relinquishs the belt and trains rich franklin to fight dan henderson
wow

Actually if Silva moves up I think he deserves to fight whoever is champ in that moment

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

I say add Chuck to the ILL Will card to fight Wilson Gouveia. I would like to see this for a number of reasons. First, I have tickets to the event and that would make it the most stacked event in UFC history. Second, the only other opponent I can think of that isn't booked is Bonnar. Third, I believe Chuck has said publicly that he doesn't want to fight in England, he wants to stay in the states. I know its probably not going to happen though, they would have to charge about 70 0r 80 bucks if they added that fight.

Don't think this will happen after all the worship given to Liddell just to promote the London event. Check UFC.com
Cobbs666
3/4/08 5:58:41PM

Posted by tberg420

This puts a huge monkey wrench in the UFC's plans but now it makes sense as to why the UFC didn't say Shogun was fighting Liddell at UFC 85.

ya i thought they were using a new marketing strategy and only advertising chuck liddell now
NatedawgThaM
3/4/08 6:38:51PM
wtf, this is the worst news in mma all year.

Luiz Cane anybody? The guy who got DQ'd against Irvin? Yeah he does not deserve it but he's the only guy off the top of my head that can fight him that sort of has a name. He has deadly brazillian Muay Thai and BJJ, so it could be a good fight maybe?
MondayNiteMauser
3/4/08 6:58:46PM
What a lame ass. I was really looking forward to Chuck laying it on him. Very dissapointed in shogun.....
cmill21
3/4/08 7:04:57PM

Posted by MondayNiteMauser

What a lame ass. I was really looking forward to Chuck laying it on him. Very dissapointed in shogun.....

Mature assessment. He's a lame ass for having medical problems, probably from fighting with a torn ACL in the first place. Yep be dissapointed in Shogun....
JBatch
3/4/08 7:25:58PM
He has had a rough time ever since signing with the UFC.

How about Chuck vs. RTS.
loller90278
3/4/08 7:34:53PM
tim boetsch anyone ?

he'll take the fight on 10 days notice!

and in which, i'll have boetsch to win! haha!
dstlvb
3/4/08 8:19:37PM
I think this we might be seeing a perinial problem in Shoguns career, or maybe the end of it. to have the same injury this close together hints at problems. He may never be right.
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/4/08 8:33:59PM
!@#$
juanez13
3/4/08 8:44:42PM
Ricardo Arona, Or vitor belfort could both be colse to a signing to fight for the UFC.

Especially Arona, since he has been sitting on the sideline, and people expected him to sign with dream or WVR, but he hasnt announced anything, which makes me think he is in talks with the UFC, and this would be a golden opportunity for his entrance into the UFC. Same with belfort, he has been calling people out, and he could sell on a rematch with liddell.
Lay_N_Pray
3/4/08 9:25:40PM
It's getting old Rua....it's getting old.

I hate to do it but I am going to have to drop him from my rankings soon due to inactivity. I know he is good and I know he isn't faking an injury or anything but maybe this isnt for him anymore.
RMFG_187
3/4/08 9:34:33PM
lol, not disappointed in Shogun, i just think its funny cuz the other day i was telling my friend, when we saw TBA on UFC.com, that "he probably tore his ACL again" lol lucky guess.

but i was looking through the LHW division, and only 1 name a saw that didn't have a recent fight, or is in his "Class" and thats Soko, but he is coming off of a lose. A Silva maybe? or possible Vera cutting to fight Chuck finally? we all gotta wait and see.
quezocrema0032
3/4/08 10:00:32PM
well evans vs silva hasnt been anounced yet so what they should do is evans fights liddell and thiago silva vs wilson goveia ... or if houston alexander kills irvin fast then im sure that could be a sell ... but my money is on rashd vs chuck only cuz if he was gona fite silva they would have announced it by now
roadking95th
3/4/08 10:01:18PM
soko can't . he fights at Ill Will
jae_1833
3/4/08 10:15:03PM
&*^&^$#^#$)*(!!!!!!
God this sucks...that fight was going to be an instant classic!!!!!!!!!
candynuts
3/4/08 10:31:49PM
That is insane. You might have to call out a big name LHW from another organization.

Maybe have Dan go back up to 205 to fight him? Thats the only thing I can think of.
Lay_N_Pray
3/4/08 11:01:32PM
No way you can feed Henderson to Liddell. I'm not saying Henderson would lose but Rampage, Silva and Liddell is too much for any man to handle.

I would like Thiago Silva but that wont happen
Manak
3/5/08 12:56:08AM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

No way you can feed Henderson to Liddell. I'm not saying Henderson would lose but Rampage, Silva and Liddell is too much for any man to handle.

I would like Thiago Silva but that wont happen

but henderson lives for the challenge, he doesn't want easy matches. but if he does fight he better win cause he has lost 2 in row
Mhunt1140
3/5/08 1:08:16AM
This is horrible, I really can't believe this at all. I was really looking forward to this fight to see how Shogun's knee will hold up after the operation. All I can really see happening is the fight with Bonnar but we will see.
Daddyprimetime
3/5/08 2:24:35AM
I didn't read all of the post before but I am so upset that Rua had to pull out. As a Liddel fan and a Rua fan I really hope this fight will happen in the near future. I also hope this injury won't stop Rua from being a great fighter.
Pages: [1] 2