Royce gracie back in the ring ??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Royce gracie back in the ring ??
keith-hackney1
3/29/07 6:11:58PM
I read on sherdog that royce gracie is set to return to the ring in june on the "dynamite" usa card at the age of 40.
With his unimpressive comeback fight record, is it worth it ??

matt hughes L ( absolutely schooled in the house he built )

Tokoro D ( out weighed Tokoro by nearly 30lbs, )

chad rowan W ( Chad rowan, not an mma win to his name )

Yoshida D ( Draw with an out of shape yoshida )

Sakuraba L ( Japans greatest fighter of all time. )

Takada W ( washed up fighter with no chance )

Royce gracie is no where near the fighter he was back in the day, and never will be again. I think if he keeps fighting weak fights with poor performances then he wont be remembered as the first ultimate fighter, I understand he wants to keep fighting for the gracie name, but he's alittle over rated now adays and i dont believe he can still become a force in mma after a disapointing comeback flopped.

Any thoughts ??

cowcatcher
3/29/07 6:17:31PM
he will always be remembered for his early performances, the guy looked like a skinny wimp to those of us watching back then and it was amazing what his discipline would make these huge tough looking guys look like. in all sports you see some guys hang on a little too long looking to recapture the magic of the glory days and in some ways its sad, but every time i have a chance to see a living legend like royce get into a ring or cage im gonna watch just to say i saw the neil armstrong of mma fight every chance i got
hippysmacker
3/29/07 6:29:18PM
If they are gonna let him fight again, I hope it's against Saku. I wish they would both retire, but this way they are less likely to get hurt.
hathcock32
3/29/07 9:11:57PM
Yea i almost had a tear in my eye after Hughes dominated him.
mrblonde55
3/30/07 12:39:33PM
I love Royce but the fact is he was never a great MMA fighter. He is great at jiu-jitsu and very tough as demonstrated in some of his early UFC fights against people like Kimo and Shamrock. He won most of the early UFC's because no body knew the ground game. He isn't well rounded enough to compete with the top guys in MMA today but I will be rooting for him in his return fight no doubt!
madmarck
3/30/07 2:28:15PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

I read on sherdog that royce gracie is set to return to the ring in june on the "dynamite" usa card at the age of 40.

Royce gracie is no where near the fighter he was back in the day, and never will be again. I think if he keeps fighting weak fights with poor performances then he wont be remembered as the first ultimate fighter, I understand he wants to keep fighting for the gracie name, but he's alittle over rated now adays and i dont believe he can still become a force in mma after a disapointing comeback flopped.

Any thoughts ??

If you keep disrepecting Royce, Fedor will crush you. As will GSP. And Couture. Certain people in MMA it is never cool to disrespect.
Not to mention Royce would Crank you arm off.

What happened last time Keith Hackney fought Royce guys? Was is a armbar or Rear naked choke? I can't remember all i know is Hackney LOST .
themmachamp
3/30/07 2:28:24PM
apparently he's fighting Johnnie Morton (former NFL footbal player). What i don't understand is how this fight got sanctioned, i don't htink johnnie morton has a fight to his name....California wouldn't sanction Marco Ruas v Maurice Smith, but will sanction this, i don't get it
Lay_N_Pray
3/30/07 4:35:03PM
Let the snowball effect of "Captain Super Amazing not Human" Randy Coutures title win commence.

I wouldnt be surprised to see more old vets come out of the wood work for one last glory run. I know Royce has always done this type of thing but I mean enough is enough...

I thank him and we all thank him but I know I don't want to see him fight anymore even if he wins. Especially if it is against Morton, thats like beating up the slow kid in high school.

Royce is a legend that made the sport...Randy is a phenomonal athlete that literally built the UFC into a cultural phenomonon. There is a difference and I hope Royce and other retired fighters see that.
jdubs
3/30/07 6:54:16PM
say goodnight gracie
keith-hackney1
3/30/07 7:32:30PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by keith-hackney1

Any thoughts ??

If you keep disrepecting Royce, Fedor will crush you. As will GSP. And Couture. Certain people in MMA it is never cool to disrespect.

What happened last time Keith Hackney fought Royce guys? Was is a armbar or Rear naked choke? I can't remember all i know is Hackney LOST .

Hackney tested the hairy brazillian. "aint that right, jeff blatnick"
Hackney hit him so hard that he broke a nail !!!
..... No other fighter back at that point had ever brushed royce's softy tanned face skin with their knuckles like "the giant killer"did.

I cant help but think this post spoiler is a racist towards fat blackbelt has been fighters like myself.

Royce probebly would rip my arm off, and i would probebly laugh back and rip off in his face. The point is now that the gracies have no competition left as the ground game is exposed to all mma fighters who train and compete, Thats why they are careful with their fight selections and "special" rules. He is washed up and a fool if he's to keep fighting and loosing.
Royce should never of come back, he would of been remembered as the first ultimate fighter as it should of been.

Never bitch about hackney, i"ll ******* scream at you !!!

Kempo forever !!!!
Rush
3/30/07 9:29:17PM
I don't have a problem with Royce (or any old fighter) fighting in their 40s.

I think a Sakuraba vs Royce fight would be a good end to both or their careers.

As far as the Gracie name goes. I think Royce and the other older brothers should focus on training the next generation of Gracie youngsters to get back into the MMA spotlight.
madmarck
4/2/07 5:07:33PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Posted by madmarck

Posted by keith-hackney1

Any thoughts ??

Hackney tested the hairy brazillian. "aint that right, jeff blatnick"
Hackney hit him so hard that he broke a nail !!!
..... No other fighter back at that point had ever brushed royce's softy tanned face skin with their knuckles like "the giant killer"did.

I cant help but think this post spoiler is a racist towards fat blackbelt has been fighters like myself.

Royce probebly would rip my arm off, and i would probebly laugh back and rip off in his face. The point is now that the gracies have no competition left as the ground game is exposed to all mma fighters who train and compete, Thats why they are careful with their fight selections and "special" rules. He is washed up and a fool if he's to keep fighting and loosing.
Royce should never of come back, he would of been remembered as the first ultimate fighter as it should of been.

Never bitch about hackney, i"ll ******* scream at you !!!

Kempo forever !!!!

Yeah keep trying to argue that Keith Hackney is better than Royce.
This may be him tapping Jason but it went the same way.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
waylon_o
4/2/07 5:55:51PM
Maybe you guys are forgetting that Royce Gracie got $500,000 (yes, that is five hundred thousand dollars) for fighting Matt Hughes last year? And he lost? Matt Hughes didn't make half that much. I would let Matt Hughes choke my ass out for $500,000. And I'm not a professional fighter.
mkiv9secsupra
4/2/07 10:27:41PM
The fact is Gracie was never REALLY good... he got UFC going and brought in a new technique but comared to fighters now he just well.....sucks....there are plenty of guys with bjj skills that could knock him out. You cant compete in MMA with just one skill you are good at and hope to win... I rather enjoyed Hughes' domination of him... RIP Royce
the-james
4/4/07 5:09:19PM
I really dont want to see royce fight again unless its a rematch with sakuraba which it very well could be since royce is fighting in the american k1 heroes thing and saku is signed with k1. It would be good fight for both their careers to end on since im tiered of seeing the get beat up and it would be a rematch of the most famous fight of both their careers.
keith-hackney1
4/8/07 11:10:45AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

The fact is Gracie was never REALLY good... he got UFC going and brought in a new technique but comared to fighters now he just well.....sucks....there are plenty of guys with bjj skills that could knock him out. You cant compete in MMA with just one skill you are good at and hope to win... I rather enjoyed Hughes' domination of him... RIP Royce

Thankyou, your first sentance is spot on !!! why cant anyone eles see that royce cant compete in todays mma because every fighter is as good as, or better than the gracies. The gracies lapped it up in the begining when they brought bjj to the world, no one had ever seen it so obviously royce was the man to beat seen as no one trained in jj. As soon as jj became apart of any modern day mma workout, its almost like the secret wepon has gone, therefor the gracies had no secret wepon anymore. They say that shamrock never made it as big as he could of in the world of mma, but he, for me was the first man to study gracie jj and exposed the key factors into beating the gracie style as he did in ufc5. Although the rematch was fought to a draw, Royce could not beat the bigger man anymore and shamrock embarrased Royce into showing mma fans that the gracies are human, and beatable. Bottom line, as the mma world got better from cross training, the gracies stayed purely to their original style which in todays competition isnt enough, unless special rules are brought in or fights are set up with boxers/sumo wrestlers.
cheers
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
DuncanFan819
4/10/07 6:32:32AM
This upcoming fight is a joke. Royce is fighting a former NFL WR. Must need some money
ncordless
4/13/07 12:06:38AM
First off, everyone understand that if it wasn't for the Gracie family and the infamous Gracie challenge, there wold be no MMA in Brazil or anywhere.
Royce is a proud member of the Gracie family. He is not the greatest of his family but was the one that represented it in the UFC. That's why he should always be remembered and respected as one of the greatest. Pioneers in every sport are recognized for the contributions they made to the games that they made. Could Jim Thorpe or Red Grange gain five yards against todays NFL defenses... probably not. We still recognize them as great players of their generation.

BTW... That old skeleton in Royce's corner, he fought all comers no holds barred for many years and never lost. If it wasn't for Helio, we would all still think that Kung Fu, Akido, and Karate are the greatest self defense techs.
nate22
4/13/07 8:42:57AM
He can do whatever the hell he likes, it has nothing to do with me.
cowcatcher
4/13/07 3:40:12PM

Posted by DuncanFan819

This upcoming fight is a joke. Royce is fighting a former NFL WR. Must need some money

hes not fighting johnnie morton they are both just on the card, no one would sanction a first time fighter against a guy like gracie. state governing bodies never allow a guy with no experience to go against a grizzled vet, although it may be allowed in 3rd world countries
keith-hackney1
4/13/07 5:23:07PM
Gracie should quit mma or throw down with the best under the same rules and prove that his style is still there. Otherwise he may aswell not bother, no one wants to see him fight if he's gonna fight weak opposition !!