Royce Gracie Expecting to Fight at UFC Rio

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Royce Gracie Expecting to Fight at UFC Rio
FastKnockout
4/12/11 10:44:44PM
UFC legend Royce Gracie hasn't fought in the Octagon since losing to Matt Hughes at UFC 60 in what was then the biggest pay per view (PPV) in company history. Gracie was the first star of the UFC, winning the 8 man tournaments at UFC 1 and 4 and the 16 man tourny at UFC 2.

He went on to a second legendary run fighting Japanese superstars Kazushi Sakuraba and Hidehiko Yoshida in Japan's Pride organization. Rumors have been swirling that Gracie would fight at the UFC's first return to Brazil since the 1990s in August.

It sounds like Royce will be fighting at UFC Rio after all, from UOL Esportes comes the following quote from Royce:

"It would be the perfect place to do my last fight. I never fought in Rio de Janeiro and I couldn't be more psyched. We are negotiating [the fight deal], but we should have it finalized in two weeks. We only had an initial contact and I don't even have an opponent yet, but we should have that finalized soon" said the 44 year old Gracie.

He also touched on his weight:

"My weight is the same as it was twenty years ago [80kg], I am still training, keeping the blade sharp. I follow a very strict diet. I never drank, never party, Carnaval, none of that... I'm ready to fight"

LINK
TeamDEY
4/12/11 11:23:53PM
I can't believe this. I have great respect for Royce but really who could he even fight against? Anyone in the UFC would destroy him. Who really cares though. Still would be awesome to see him fight!
FastKnockout
4/12/11 11:34:48PM
If they were up for doing Brazil vs. Brazil I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Carlos Rocha.
DeadHead988
4/13/11 1:06:26AM
This is a ******* terrible idea. This is all name value only, Royce is no more relevant than Tank Abbot or Ken Shamrock.
DeadHead988
4/13/11 1:10:33AM

Posted by FastKnockout

If they were up for doing Brazil vs. Brazil I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Carlos Rocha.

Believe it or not, Carlos Rocha is German.
ncordless
4/13/11 1:20:47AM

Posted by FastKnockout

I would hope they wouldn't give him anything except a "legend" match round his weight.

I'd be surprised if they gave him a fight he couldn't win a la Hughes. But I can't think of a good opponent besides Militich or Sakuraba, neither of who have I heard anything about a contract. Maybe they give him Cody McKenzie or something, otherwise I think he is going to get wrecked by just about anybody in the UFC. Maybe they will bring back Severn or Shammy, or, if they really wanna appeal to the Brazilians, they could bring in a Luta Livre guy.

We will see.
DeadHead988
4/13/11 1:43:22AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by FastKnockout

I would hope they wouldn't give him anything except a "legend" match round his weight.

I'd be surprised if they gave him a fight he couldn't win a la Hughes. But I can't think of a good opponent besides Militich or Sakuraba, neither of who have I heard anything about a contract. Maybe they give him Cody McKenzie or something, otherwise I think he is going to get wrecked by just about anybody in the UFC. Maybe they will bring back Severn or Shammy, or, if they really wanna appeal to the Brazilians, they could bring in a Luta Livre guy.

We will see.

If McKenzie were to fight him, then I might actually be excited. However, McKenzie already has an upcoming fight.
Michael_Corleone
4/13/11 2:44:22AM
I think this is great news. You cannot have UFC Rio without Royce Gracie. Whether you like him or not, he deserves to be showcased in front of his hometown and I would consider it a treat to be able to see him fight one last time. I am very much looking forward to this event.
mrsmiley
4/13/11 4:43:49AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by FastKnockout

We will see.

Reading your post my mind started screaming: "RUAS!!"
Bythar
4/13/11 4:52:31AM
What does he mean he never partied or 'carnaval[ed]'. He went to Disneyland right after UFC 1.
prozacnation1978
4/13/11 8:53:27AM
Have penn fight him
Cool he is fighting
Just curious to see who they will throw at him
Sanchez?? Kammpman??
emfleek
4/13/11 9:08:26AM
I'll fight him for $50, airfare and a hotel package.

Franklinfan47
4/13/11 12:52:08PM

Posted by TeamDEY

I can't believe this. I have great respect for Royce but really who could he even fight against? Anyone in the UFC would destroy him. Who really cares though. Still would be awesome to see him fight!

I say bring Sakuraba in for a rematch. They both seem to be at the end, and it would be a great way to say bye to two of the sports legends.

Who cares if its not relevant for a title picture? I would still pay to see it.
bjj1605
4/13/11 8:03:47PM
He's completely irrelevant but his fight would still be to one I look forward to most on the card.