How would Royce Gracie do now?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » How would Royce Gracie do now?
liddel4prez
2/28/07 11:45:18PM
If the gracie of the early UFC's was fighting now how do you think he would do now?
Ydoc
2/28/07 11:55:28PM
About as good or worse than Babalu.
Dalkiel
3/1/07 12:17:01AM
He would be mediocre or worse.

He was a ahead of his time 15 years ago, but now nearly everyone trains JJ and MMA is mainstream. The holds he caught guys in back in the day would be easily avoided by most competent MMA fighters.

Don't get me wrong though... Royce was the man. The Babe Ruth of MMA to be sure.
Svartorm
3/1/07 12:53:53AM
Poorly. If Hughes wasn't such a nice guy, he would have destroyed him in their fight early on. Even so he was in zero danger during that fight, and dominated on the feet, which Hughes shouldn't be able to do.
EEKS
3/1/07 7:02:39AM
I have so much respect for Royce and for what hes done for this sport, but speaking without any bias i believe he would do poorly, as Matt stated and proved in their fight the times have changed, and in order to survive in the sport you must be well rounded, but i do believe that if they feed him any fighter from his era he would probably still have a decent chance at winning.
waylon_o
3/1/07 10:21:35AM

Posted by Svartorm

Poorly. If Hughes wasn't such a nice guy, he would have destroyed him in their fight early on. Even so he was in zero danger during that fight, and dominated on the feet, which Hughes shouldn't be able to do.

I agree...if Matt Hughes is dominating someone on their feet, they need to evaluate their game. But man I love Royce...he's the sh**. He's a pioneer and will always be considered the father of MMA and one of the greatest. But I don't even think he will do as well as Babalu...