Roy Nelson Says Kongo Next, Likely At UFC 116

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Roy Nelson Says Kongo Next, Likely At UFC 116
DCRage
4/25/10 9:15:56AM
It would seem that Roy Nelson is going to take the international route to the top of the UFC Heavyweight division. After defeating Dutch giant Stefan Struve in his "official" UFC debut, Nelson has confirmed reports that French striker Cheick Kongo is his next foe. Date TBA but it's likely going to be at UFC 116 on July 3.

Article
Wand_is_GOD
4/25/10 10:21:02AM
If Mir can drop Kongo I can see this being a good fight I Hate Nelson but I will pick him to win
prozacnation1978
4/25/10 11:50:12AM
kongo has a glass jaw
but kongo also has deadly knees and ground n pound to that soft chuddy body of roy's
icantthinkofanything
4/25/10 11:57:35AM
The only way Kongo wins is to put Roy on his back, before Roy takes him down or ko's kongo with the quickness imo. Kongo should use the same gameplan he used to beat Buentello.

Roy is gonna rattle the division for sure, too early to tell if he will ever fight for a title.
dirtyreg22
4/25/10 12:57:55PM
if roy gets kongo down i think he'll do the same thing that he done to kimbo on tuf. roy also has a good chance of popping kongo on the feet. i think roy has more ways of ending this fight. i dont believe roy will stand there and let kongo pepper him to death on the feet. so as bad i hate to say it i have to take roy in this one.
sbulldavid
4/25/10 1:17:44PM
I can't see Kongo winning this match, he tends to get beat up pretty easily by decent grapplers. He does have a chance as long as the fight stays standing, but Roy is the new gatekeeper and we could be nearing the Kongo era in the UFC.
jae_1833
4/25/10 1:41:09PM
I see no way for Kongo to win....his ground game is way bad compared to Roy's, his striking is better IMO but he can't take the kind of hits he dishes out, so I do give Roy the edge for his chin as well.
MaxOne
4/25/10 1:46:39PM
I can't wait!
i'm glad Roy isn't being thrown into the deep end right away. it's good to see him work his way up and get some wins over good names.

This is Roy's fight to lose.
grappler0000
4/25/10 2:10:20PM
I really like this matchup. I don't feel people are giving Kongo enough credit though.
mrsmiley
4/25/10 2:38:47PM
I think the problem with Kongo is he just doesn't seem consistant enough to ever be a safe bet. Not to mention all his victories seem to be against opponents that now look like lesser calibur than Nelson. It could go either way but I say Nelson is the safe choice to make.
I'm not sure but i'm guessing Kongo has a reach advantage in this fight and should try to use it to his favor
isk
4/25/10 2:44:17PM
Roy Nelson -really- hates getting hit in the face, like more than most people. This is one of those pick 'em fights, but I think the x factor will be Kongo's aggression or lack thereof. If he lands some solid shots early, I see Nelson getting demoralized and folding.
BustedKnuckle
4/25/10 4:25:16PM
i hope this happens. This fight will put Roy near the top of the division. Kongo is going to get pounded out. GnP victory for Roy!! WAR THE FAT MAN!!!!
MaxOne
4/25/10 5:15:12PM

Posted by isk

Roy Nelson -really- hates getting hit in the face, like more than most people. This is one of those pick 'em fights, but I think the x factor will be Kongo's aggression or lack thereof. If he lands some solid shots early, I see Nelson getting demoralized and folding.

i'm curious how you've come to this conclusion about roy and his hatred of being punched in the face.
bjj1605
4/25/10 6:17:24PM
Kongo's only chance in this fight is to get on top of Roy. As good as his jiu jitsu is he's mostly a top game guy. Kongo has vicious GNP and that is his ticket to win.

Roy can win standing or on the ground, so IMO that makes him the better pick.
MaxOne
4/25/10 6:40:56PM
Roy doesn't have crisp boxing but he does have heavy hands and a great chin. It took a good knee from arlvoski to rock roy. Hands weren't doing it alone even when he was landing clean. Kongo's best chance is standing. he doesn't have the ground game to beat Roy anywhere on the ground IMO. Roy's best chance is on the ground but obviously he has the tools to pull it off standing too. Roy has more ways to win. So the logically choice is Roy.

Kongo's striking is cleaner & faster. He rocked Cain good multiple times. Roy should get it to the ground as quickly as he can to increase his odds greatly although Roy was beating Arlovski in the first round and Kongo's striking isn't as good as Arlovski IMO.

I'm looking forward to this fight. I really enjoy seeing Roy beat people. I always have. He's a unique dude.
isk
4/25/10 7:04:28PM

Posted by MaxOne
i'm curious how you've come to this conclusion about roy and his hatred of being punched in the face.

Most people look angry or hurt or even stonefaced after getting hit. Nelson looked petulant after Arlovski started pouring it on towards the end of that fight.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/25/10 7:15:10PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I can't see Kongo winning this match, he tends to get beat up pretty easily by decent grapplers. He does have a chance as long as the fight stays standing, but Roy is the new gatekeeper and we could be nearing the Kongo era in the UFC.

There's a Kongo era? Did I miss something
runningman08
4/25/10 7:25:22PM
I like the match up. I think if Roy can watch out for Kongo's jab then he can get the fight to the ground and from there submit him. My guess would be a Kimura.
Pookie
4/25/10 10:09:09PM
I can see kongo winning with range and knees. But i'll pick Nelson because i dont allow myself to pick kongo anymore.
chickmagnet
4/25/10 11:49:25PM

Posted by isk

Posted by MaxOne

Most people look angry or hurt or even stonefaced after getting hit. Nelson looked petulant after Arlovski started pouring it on towards the end of that fight.

Anyone who gets hit flush by Arlovski is going to look petulant. Arlovski has big power and great hands. Better hands than Kongos...
BlueSkiesBurn
4/25/10 11:53:17PM
Too bad he doesn't have a chin to match those hands.
gartface
4/26/10 12:40:52AM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by isk

Posted by MaxOne

Anyone who gets hit flush by Arlovski is going to look petulant. Arlovski has big power and great hands. Better hands than Kongos...

To me that fight never happened.

I think of this fight a lot like the Kongo and Herring fight, but with a much better grappler. I think that Roy has a lot better takedown defense than Heath, but if he gets put on his back I think he'll be able to sweep Kongo with ease and dominate him with the belly, like he was doing against Arlovski...I mean...
BlueSkiesBurn
4/26/10 12:51:12AM
Arlovski is infinitely better on the ground than Kongo. I still want to know about this Kongo era that someone was referring to earlier.
EliasG
4/26/10 1:24:10AM
I had ROy winning the fight against Arlovski until the dumb ref had them stand up while Roy had dominant position on the ground. I don't know how a person looks petulant, penitent, or perturbed while getting punched in the face. All I know is, I've seen Roy in some wars (Ben Rothwell comes to mind) and I didn't see him backing down at all. He has improved since that time and has shown his power by KO'ing the guys that he's faced so far. So.....i think the Kongo fight will be a good measuring stick because Kongo is a bit of a gatekeeper. If you can beat Kongo you can fight the top guys. If you can't beat Kongo--you can't fight the top guys. He's good enough to better than the chumps, but not good enough to be elite...unless he gets a meaningful ground game and a defense that negates the KO.

BeeR
4/26/10 5:57:57AM
kongo MIGHT take roy down, but good luck keeping him down.
manstrabula
4/26/10 11:24:51AM
The big redneck versus the muscle bound french guy. The mullet will over shower over Kongo in victory
MaxOne
4/26/10 12:01:06PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by isk

Posted by MaxOne

to me roy looked like he was mad at himself....(although I thought it looked like it was arlovski's knee that rocked him not the hands.)

that fight is a terrible example though because Roy clearly won the first round. Who knows what would have happened if the ref didn't step in. It may have went the same way but that was seriously a terrible stand up. Side control is dominant. It's not like he was stuck in the guard.
tcunningham
4/26/10 9:26:07PM
i think roy's underestimated by a lot of people because of physique, but hes got power and good wrestling. i could see him putting Congo in the crucifix and pounding him out like he did to kimbo. congo's just not that impressive anywhere, im not even impressed with his striking even though a lot of people say hes a good striker.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/26/10 9:40:17PM
Roy can get as far as a gatekeeper within the HW division. Once you reach the top tier: Carwin, Lesnar, Velasquez, and JDS, you're dealing with a whole different animal. Roy won't be able to use his size on those gentlemen and will most definitely be at a disadvantage in the striking game. If nothing else because of the sheer size of those opponents. He could, realistically, beat several of them but I can't see him running the gauntlet of those four without a couple loses if he even makes it past the first.
TheGodfather1024
4/27/10 1:14:03AM
I got Nelson winning