Roy Nelson Getting Screwed?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Roy Nelson Getting Screwed?
gartface
10/5/08 11:36:55AM
Disclaimer: Arlovski won the fight, and probably would have still won the fight.

Is it me or did he totally get screwed when he had side control working a kimura? Granted I didn't expect him to win the fight at all, but anyone with a decent ground game can make something happen from side control. Jorge Alonso needs a talking to IMO for standing them up.
juanez13
10/5/08 11:54:59AM
Yea it shouldnt have been stood up, but like you said i dont think that would have affected the outcome of the fight much. Arlvoski has good defense, and Nelson wasnt going to sub him. Only reason AA was in that position was because he tripped Nelson and Nelson rolled him over. He wasnt capable on taking Andrei down, and I dont think Andrei would take the fight to the ground again. Standing as you could tell from the start was a ticking bomb, those low kicks were taking their toll on Nelson.

Only thing i wasnt happy with AA was that Roy was coming foward and he would just back up throwing his strikes, but than Nelson had the chance to put him up against the cage, and hug him cus he couldnt take it down. If Andrei would have circled back to the center the KO would have come much earlier. About his ground game, its there, but he has been focusing alot on boxing, so its not something that came unexpected. His TK defence is solid, and some good footwork could make it much more better.

Overall, very happy how AA has been performing lately, his low kicks are great, his hands are better than ever, and overall his stand up is dynamite. IMO definitely the best HW striker right now.
Darnok
10/5/08 12:08:41PM
Yeh but if you include the amount of time he left his flab just lying on AA's face I think the ref had enough of that particular manouver.
bullettdodger
10/5/08 12:12:27PM
But it doesn't matter how much time was spent "under the flab" because when you are in a dominant position and whats more applying a submission... you aren't supposed to be stood back up... Awful call by the Ref
JohnnyNapalm
10/5/08 12:43:02PM

Posted by bullettdodger

But it doesn't matter how much time was spent "under the flab" because when you are in a dominant position and whats more applying a submission... you aren't supposed to be stood back up... Awful call by the Ref

Agreed.

Big Country was working on AA and it was a BS move by the ref.

On the flip-side EliteXC brass should give the ref a bonus for saving AA's bacon and not having to worry about future on air jokes about one of their "contending" HW's big gut.
jgtribbett
10/5/08 12:43:17PM
i thought that they where favoring aa, but i dont think roy would have won
i think he should get in shape and be a king of mma one day though... good fighter
postman
10/5/08 1:16:59PM
Lets do it right and call a spade a spade Elite XC tells the refs what to do and that is what is best for the org Thompson had kimbo in a crucifix (s) Roy with Side controll you can see on the replays the shaws telling the ref to stop the fight for the punch to the back of the head of Kimbo. Even if it should have been stoped I don't think the suits should be involved in that dec.
StorminYourman
10/5/08 1:41:10PM

Posted by bullettdodger

ncordless
10/5/08 2:29:52PM
Any ref who stands up a fight when one fighter has side control and is working a submission should be banned from the business.
Poohbah
10/5/08 2:46:09PM
I agree, I was screaming at the TV when I saw that. This is a crooked organization and it just made the Kimbo fiasco that followed even more hilarious. I hope they go bankrupt.
gartface
10/5/08 2:53:27PM

Posted by Darnok

Yeh but if you include the amount of time he left his flab just lying on AA's face I think the ref had enough of that particular manouver.

Hopefully this was an attempt at humor. I really don't think putting your stomach on someone's face is an illegal maneuver.
loller90278
10/5/08 3:01:30PM
not only that, but roy nelson wasn't even KO'd. he fell like a sack of potatoes but the ref didn't even give him a chance to defend himself. he was perfectly fine
gartface
10/5/08 3:06:22PM

Posted by loller90278

not only that, but roy nelson wasn't even KO'd. he fell like a sack of potatoes but the ref didn't even give him a chance to defend himself. he was perfectly fine

I agree, I made the comment to my friend last night that sometimes people get "knocked out" because the well known fighter lands one big one, drops the guy, and walks away. I think the walking away gives the referee the impression that the other guy is out cold, especially if it's a high profile fighter like Arlovski.
hodge
10/5/08 3:20:53PM
The simple fact that Nelson vs Arlovski says it all about Elite XC
juanez13
10/5/08 4:23:10PM

Posted by loller90278

Thats BS IMO, that was a fine stoppage. gimme a break, he fell face first, than slowly rolled over with his hands down and feet flat on the floor, and looking up, had the ref let it go on he would have just ate a big right, which would have been unnecessary.
cmill21
10/5/08 4:31:24PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by loller90278

Thats BS IMO, that was a fine stoppage. gimme a break, he fell face first, than slowly rolled over with his hands down and feet flat on the floor, and looking up, had the ref let it go on he would have just ate a big right, which would have been unnecessary.

Agree'd, I think it would have been brutal if the ref didn't stop it.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/5/08 4:38:02PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by juanez13

Posted by loller90278

Agree'd, I think it would have been brutal if the ref didn't stop it.

rewatch it, if AA comes w/ full force after Nelson got knocked down, Nelson wouldve been Ninja'd, but probably worse
postman
10/5/08 6:34:54PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Darnok

Hopefully this was an attempt at humor. I really don't think putting your stomach on someone's face is an illegal maneuver.

I have been forced to tap before while training my instructor would be on top and let his shirt hang down I sucked it in when I took a breath first time it freaked me out I tapped real quick.

CantAndleDaRiddum
10/5/08 8:53:39PM

Posted by postman

Posted by gartface

Posted by Darnok

I have been forced to tap before while training my instructor would be on top and let his shirt hang down I sucked it in when I took a breath first time it freaked me out I tapped real quick.

gotta spread the love, but that's some funny shit
rabbit915
10/6/08 12:39:30AM

Posted by jgtribbett

i thought that they where favoring aa, but i dont think roy would have won
i think he should get in shape and be a king of mma one day though... good fighter

He has said several times that he cant lose the weight. No matter how good of shape he is it doesnt go away. Plus its not like he had much of an oppurtunity to cut weight because the fight was so short notice he was only able to put together a 1 week training camp.

Naturaldisaster
10/6/08 2:27:31AM
even if they hadnt stood it up i think arlovski would have still KO'd nelson. But they again it is Elite XC so what do you expect? this is the same org that didnt stop a fight, when James thompson was on top of Kimbo for at least a minute and punchin him in the face the whole time
Pyrenus
10/6/08 11:11:53AM
I kind of had the feeling that AA underestimated Big Country a little bit. After the ref stood them back up it was all business for AA.

Wolfenstein
10/6/08 5:53:31PM
The refferees are chosen by the athletic commision. It's not like these guys are chosen by Elite XC. Hence they are supposed to be impartial. I seriously doubt Gary Shaw yelling from ringside has ny bearing on a refferees decision making inside the cage.