Roy Jones Jr. vs Muhamed Ali

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Roy Jones Jr. vs Muhamed Ali
POLL: Ultimate Boxing Match
Roy Jones Jr. 13% (3)
Muhamed Ali 88% (21)
Boo_Radley21
10/28/09 2:55:09PM
I was thinking about this and realized how great a fight this would be if they could fight in their primes. Ali is considered the best boxer of all time but Jones was the pound for pound king when he was fighting. What was it 5 titles in 3 weight classes? Both guys are extremely quick, and both are very elusive, but can still hit. Ali would have a size advantage and probably power but it would be a great fight. Who takes it?
higdon10
10/28/09 6:36:38PM
Gotta go with Ali.
seanfu
10/28/09 7:04:30PM
Hahahahaha.....Ali.... Roy gassed very quickly at 195 or whatever he weighed, and Ali would dominate him on size and speed prime vs prime.
Svartorm
10/28/09 7:50:08PM
Jones moving up to HW would be a huge mistake. Not that Ali was a huge HW, but Jones would lose the mobility that made him what he is, and catching one on the button from Ali would have been a quick trip to sleepy land.
george112
10/28/09 9:55:42PM
id take jones jr all day in a match with ali.

hand speed would definitely go to jones.but quickness would have to go to ali.ali is much like machida in that hes elusive and moves very well.with that being said roy jones unorthodox boxing style would totally throw ali off
seanfu
10/28/09 10:18:36PM

Posted by Svartorm

Jones moving up to HW would be a huge mistake. Not that Ali was a huge HW, but Jones would lose the mobility that made him what he is, and catching one on the button from Ali would have been a quick trip to sleepy land.

How when he's too damn short and immobile at that high of a weight. He would have zero explosiveness after the first 3 rounds where Ali could just dance anyway. There is no way Jones could win that.
Boo_Radley21
10/28/09 10:32:06PM

Posted by seanfu

Posted by Svartorm

How when he's too damn short and immobile at that high of a weight. He would have zero explosiveness after the first 3 rounds where Ali could just dance anyway. There is no way Jones could win that.

Whatever buddy. Jones held the HW title, so I'm pretty sure he's not that bad at the weight.
Pookie
10/28/09 11:41:24PM
Ali had 8 inches of extra reach i believe, and Jones had the most problems against big tall sniper counter strikers
Svartorm
10/28/09 11:41:25PM
He fought one fight at HW against a less than stellar champion and never defended. It was just an opportunity to grab the belt.
seanfu
10/29/09 12:57:33AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by seanfu

Posted by Svartorm

Whatever buddy. Jones held the HW title, so I'm pretty sure he's not that bad at the weight.

Look up the name John Ruiz. If Roy Jones actually fought and even had a close fight with Lennox Lewis who was 1 title shy of being the undisputed heavyweight champ at the time Jones took Ruiz' likely undeserved title then I would say Roy would put up a competitive fight. But no.

Actually watch the Ruiz fight and look at the overmuscled easily exhausted Roy and his lack of speed. Roy's specialty wa always his explosiveness and reaction, he had the reaction, but no explosiveness when tired out.