I Need a Routine

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » I Need a Routine
Gladiator
4/22/07 1:20:25AM
so i finally started lifting weights at a gym and i realized... i dont have a clue what im doing. i started stretching and then i lifted some dumbells and then from there i just wondered aimlessy around the weight room trying a machine here and a lifting something there. i cant help but notice that everyone else goes from one technique or machine to the next in a set routine, which is what i want to do but i dont know how to go about it. its a typical gym and i would much apprecitate some advice on what machines/weight-lifting techniques to use that would most benefit my workout.
Rush
4/22/07 7:08:59PM
I stopped lifting weights because they only took me so far and then stopped making me stronger.

Sit down for a couple nights and figure out what you want to do

i.e. focus on a certain part or do a whole body workout (like circuit training)

Here is something that might get you started, but you will modify this as you start doing more.

Single exercises

Do Chest and Legs on one day
Do abs and lower back on one day
Do arms and upper back on one day
Do shoulders and legs on one day
Do circuit training on one day
Do cardio on one day (and a little on other days)

I would alternate back and fourth between the two body parts so I don't stop. Use free weights for the specific parts and use the machines for the circuit training.

I wouldn't recommend doing a strict schedule. i.e. Mon do this, Tues do that.

I like to do what I think I need to do. If my body says time for a rest, I take a day or two off. Rest is VERY VERY important. You don't want chronic fatigue syndrome. It's nasty.

I hope this helps and I know not everyone agrees with this, but it's a suggestion to get you started.

My 10 day schedule is roughly this

1 day of leg and upper body plyometrics
1 day of core (abs and lower back)
1 day of distance running
1 day of plyo/cardio (like stair running and jumping)
2 days of martial arts
1 day of yoga
1 day of optional (here is where I work my grip or other odd exercises)
2-4 days of rest

Some days I train in martial arts and work out on the same day, some days I take off completely and get a little extra sleep. I don't have a set day for a particular thing except that I never do plyo or core training on days that I do martial arts training

One more thing, I only spend about 1 hour in the gym. I work out non-stop (no rests). I came into terms that a 1 hour intense workout with an extra hour of sleep is better than a 2 hour workout without that extra hour of sleep.

bayonetxwork
4/22/07 7:45:03PM
I go about 3 days a week, every other day. So when I go, I just do my whole body. I work in order, start with my legs, and go up neck. First week or so, your just gonna have to get the hang of things. You don't really know how hard you can push yourself yet, so once you find that out, you can start to get serious (max out on certain olympic lifts, then use a weight chart to see what 80% power would be, 60%, etc.)

Do 3 exercises per muscle group.
Do 3 sets per exercise.
Do 8-15 reps per set.

Thats a pretty basic idea to get you started. After a while start to learn more about Negatives, Burn outs, pyramids, etc. to maximize the work done.

Oh yeah, and if your serious about building mass, losing weight, whatever your reason is, you should try and learn a lot about nutrition. Like Rush said, Rest is very important, so is nutrition. Since I don't lift every day, and I do full body all in one day.

(im 180ish lbs.)
Days I work out I take in 3000 calories.
Days off I take in about 2000 calories.
etc.
Gladiator
4/23/07 12:39:40AM
thank u both very much for the info it truly is helpful, but can u give me some details on how long u work out each day, how many times a week, or what sets i should do for upper body strength. im mainly trying to build upper body and for the last 2 months ive been doing an hour long workout 5 times a week lifting dumbells, bench pressing, working a bag, mediceine ball, and pull-ups but i just made the transition to a gym and i need help getting started. but the info so far has been great keep it up plz
Rush
4/23/07 8:28:17AM
Like I said in my first post. I work out as much as I can, but I rest when my body tells me it's time to rest.

Some guys prefer working out on the same days, but I don't like that because you train you body to do that and your body adapts and you don't progress.

As for upper body exercises.

Hmm, I would say 3 sets of 8-10 reps, but it depends on the exercise. When I do plyo, I do 10-20 reps. Since you said you want to build strength you should keep the reps at 10 or less gradually build up the weight you lift.

For upper body I would do the following

Chest - flat and incline bench press, flys on cable (seated, standing at all 3 levels; low, middle and high)

Shoulders - military press (seated or standing), shrugs, lateral raises

Back - pull ups (various grips), reverse cable flys, bent fwd lateral raises, dead lifts

I would use dumbells for almost all the above exercises. Why? Because they help build more stability, but also you can do more weight without a spotter.

Medicine ball - lay on back and throw the ball up (chest pass), when the ball comes down catch it and throw it up as fast as you can (it helps to have a partner for this one) - this works your chest

Similar concept as above, but you are in a seated position and throw the ball upward (upper back) almost like you are going to throw it over your head

I also like to do push ups with the Med. ball. I start with one hand on the mat and the other on the ball. I push up so I am in the air and switch hands in the air go down and repeat.
Fanboy 1988
4/26/07 8:01:43PM
You can also go to Bodybuilding.com for some tips and routines, might help you out alittle.
bayonetxwork
4/29/07 6:21:30PM

Posted by Rush

Chest - flat and incline bench press, flys on cable (seated, standing at all 3 levels; low, middle and high)

Don't forget decline bench too. IMO its one of the most important benches you can do, especially for the mma/grappling environement. First off, a lot(most?) power comes from your lower pectoral muscles, and I've noticed as you progress on your decline, it helps your incline and flat greatly.

Also to connect it to MMA. If someones in your guard, you pushing them off/away to get up, sweep, setup a submission is the nearly the same motion you are performing in the weight room.
Gladiator
4/30/07 1:26:13PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by Rush

Don't forget decline bench too. IMO its one of the most important benches you can do, especially for the mma/grappling environement. First off, a lot(most?) power comes from your lower pectoral muscles, and I've noticed as you progress on your decline, it helps your incline and flat greatly.

Also to connect it to MMA. If someones in your guard, you pushing them off/away to get up, sweep, setup a submission is the nearly the same motion you are performing in the weight room.

i love the decline, first two days i did almost nothing but use the decline with a 12lb medicine ball. the bodybuilding.com has helped me a lot there are a lot of awesome workout routines on there so i dont have to do the same thing every week. great workouts
ordean
5/16/07 6:22:07PM
Get out of the gym and try the strong man training. No gym membership and all you need is some common items.

Sledge Hammer swings (just hit the dirt or a tire) as fast as you can manage X25 or more.

Wheel Barrel Push with as much weight as is practical.

Dumbell throw X 10 per arm

Roll a mattress and tape so you can pick up and slam X 10

Rinse and repeat. There are a million variations and lots of other things you can do.

It gets you construction worker strong.... grizzley man strong.