Rousimar Palhares Doesn't Want To Hurt Opponents, He Wants To Finish Them Quickly

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rousimar Palhares Doesn't Want To Hurt Opponents, He Wants To Finish Them Quickly
DCRage
9/8/10 10:57:05AM
And he makes that clear in response to criticism he's faced since his win over Tomasz Drwal at UFC 111. “Murilo always told me to wait until the referee stops the fight. He had problems with [fake taps] in the past and Anderson almost had the same problem in his last fight. Its not that I want to hurt anyone but I am trying to be fast with my submissions so the referee needs to be fast as well, to stop the fight. My opinion is that the referee in my last fight was too far away and took too long to stop the fight. If he had been closer then he could have stopped it right away and then we would not even be having this conversation at all!”

Article
submissionartist1
9/8/10 11:22:16AM
"the referee in my last fight was too far away and took too long to stop the fight. If he had been closer then he could have stopped it right away and then we would not even be having this conversation at all!”

this is becoming all too common the refs need to be properly trained and informed of the fights. there is a great artical in FIGHT! mag on this. refs and judges need a complete overhaul
Chieftan1997
9/8/10 12:26:07PM
Maybe my memory isn't that good, but the way I remember it, Palhares held on to the submission for a couple seconds after the ref was trying to stop it.
icantthinkofanything
9/8/10 1:36:45PM
I totally agree, but the problem was Palhares had a delayed reaction to the stoppage. He was gripping after the stoppage from what I recall.
Palhares has some good takedowns and excellent ground game. i think If he puts Nate on his back, Palhares is gonna win, by ud or sub.
DeadHead988
9/8/10 6:33:36PM
I honestly think that the referees take too much criticism. With the exception of a few, *cough* Dan Miragliotta *cough*, the refs do an excellent job. It seems hating on them has just become the thing to do.
Pookie
9/8/10 7:10:28PM
I remember that fight, and the ref didnt call the fight off so much as touch palhares. People get hurt in this sport. I think its fairly obvious Palhares didnt do anything malicious.
bjj1605
9/8/10 9:58:34PM
The ref should have pulled Palhares away or unwrapped their legs. I don't think Palhares held on to long. With leg locks and omoplata in particular it can be hard to instantly release the submission. You're tangled up with the guy in a way that makes it difficult to release right away.
noahgenda
9/9/10 1:05:19AM
the ref may have been a little far away, but palhares absolutely held on past the refs attempt to stop the fight. he was suspended for it.