Rousimar Palhares v. Alessio Sakara at ufc 99

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rousimar Palhares v. Alessio Sakara at ufc 99
Pookie
3/30/09 4:39:31PM
Link
The card continues to grow for UFC 99 in Germany, as Rousimar "Toquinho" Palhares will return for a middleweight match-up against American Top Team fighter Alessio Sakara. The bout was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Monday by sources close to the fight
grappler0000
3/30/09 4:43:45PM
Well, this one's a no-brainer.
SmileR
3/30/09 4:50:58PM

Posted by grappler0000

Well, this one's a no-brainer.

Yup Sakara first round sub right!
Twenty20Dollars
3/30/09 4:54:42PM
“Toquinho,” which means “tree stump” in Portuguese.

Sub-miss-ion
Pookie
3/30/09 4:55:29PM
I like the match-up, Sakara's wrestling is doo doo, but his jits isnt nearly as bad.

Plus for the 45 seconds it stays on the feet sakara should look damn impressive.
prozacnation1978
3/30/09 4:58:35PM
sakara should start backing up his bags for his one way ticket out of the ufc
pv3Hpv3p
3/30/09 5:03:21PM
hope to see another highlight reel sub for Palhares...

The kid's got skills and I think they fed him to Hendo too soon and he still fared very well IMO... Hope to see him steadily climb the MW rankings
Mayhem13
3/30/09 5:04:16PM
I will gladly take my +2 in this fight!

Sakaras ground game is much better then people think, yeah he's not as good as Toq. But he won't be a sitting duck on the ground either.

Paul Harris has some bad standup...and Alessio has the speed and accuracy to put it to Toq. and overwhelm him I think.
KaibaThedon
3/30/09 5:15:59PM
1st round submission via armbar for palhares
StorminYourman
3/30/09 5:39:05PM
I like Palhares in this and feel right now in the MW division of the UFC he would be Silva's toughest test. This boy could easily hand Maia his first UFC loss too.
tepid55
3/30/09 6:11:02PM
Palhares by first round submission
DevonFoxy
3/30/09 6:13:56PM

Posted by Mayhem13

Sakaras ground game is much better then people think, yeah he's not as good as Toq. But he won't be a sitting duck on the ground either.

Paul Harris has some bad standup...and Alessio has the speed and accuracy to put it to Toq. and overwhelm him I think.

If Hendo didn't finish him with the shots he landed I think Sakara is going to be in for a very VERY long night....well actually quite short cuz when it goes to the ground the fight will be over within 2 minutes of it being there.
EvenFlow
3/30/09 6:15:17PM
Paul Harris could be double the width of Alessio. I dont see how he beats the tree stump.
higdon10
3/30/09 6:38:15PM
Sakara may have a definitive edge on the feet, as soon as this fight hits the mat he is going to have a limb removed.
gartface
3/30/09 6:42:47PM

Posted by Mayhem13

Have to spread the love bro, but I will gladly take the +2 as well. Jeremy Horn gave him trouble on the feet...Sakara will knock his block off. Horn almost connected with a desperate head kick. Granted Vedepo and Palhares aren't on the same level, I still think that if given the opportunity Alessio will connect with a very similar head kick as he did against Vedepo.

As for Palhares being Anderson's toughest test...
sparky
3/30/09 7:11:49PM
After reading what everyone had to say about this match up I hope Sakara knocks him out cold!!!!
CwB
3/30/09 7:24:39PM
I have never been impressed by sakara and if rousy can hang with hendo then sakara chances of ko-ing rousy look slim

ill give sakara a little more credit then everyone else but ill take rousy 2nd round sub
Mayhem13
3/30/09 7:28:06PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by Mayhem13

If Hendo didn't finish him with the shots he landed I think Sakara is going to be in for a very VERY long night....well actually quite short cuz when it goes to the ground the fight will be over within 2 minutes of it being there.

Hendos striking isnt as good as Sakaras imo.

While it has been effective a few times in the past..Hendo throws the same wild right over and over again, and its fairly easy to avoid.

while that one punch may be slightly more powerful, Sakara is going to be landing a string of 3+ everytime Palhares tries to come in...so he will have to get through the combo of punches to take him down..instead of avoiding one big punch...i feel like Palhares will get frustrated not being able to get inside as easily..and leave himself open, or throw a wild kick, dropping his hand in the process and getting put down by a counter shot.
Pookie
3/30/09 7:38:17PM
I agree with most of your assessment mayhem, except

"while that one punch may be slightly more powerful.."

Hendersons punch is way more powerful, granted he doest have the accuracy and fluidity sakara has, but to assess hendersons right straight as merely slightly more powerful than sakara is just absurd imo.

Sakara has beautiful combinations, but they dont carry nearly as much pack per punch.
mach
3/30/09 7:49:14PM
Awesome, I was waiting for this news. Paul Harris is quickly becoming one of my favorite fighters, I was wondering when he'd fight again. I can't wait to see more suplexes!
DevonFoxy
3/30/09 7:52:50PM

Posted by Mayhem13

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by Mayhem13

Hendos striking isnt as good as Sakaras imo.

While it has been effective a few times in the past..Hendo throws the same wild right over and over again, and its fairly easy to avoid.

while that one punch may be slightly more powerful, Sakara is going to be landing a string of 3+ everytime Palhares tries to come in...so he will have to get through the combo of punches to take him down..instead of avoiding one big punch...i feel like Palhares will get frustrated not being able to get inside as easily..and leave himself open, or throw a wild kick, dropping his hand in the process and getting put down by a counter shot.

I see what your saying I just can't see Palhares gettin TKO'ed if Hendo didnt do it with some flush power shots.Like Pookie said his power is much better than Sakaras and hes gonna need alot of shots to add up to Hendo's power. It only takes one take down and Palhares can end Sakara's night. Hendo even got taken down by Palhares so I think its inevitable that Sakara will as well. Palhares has fantastic take downs. Some of the best at MW if ya look at some of his past fight the man is so strong if he gets ahold of ya yer going down.

Sakara can win but there's a very good reason hes an underdog imo.
Twenty20Dollars
3/30/09 11:59:37PM
I think this depends on Palhares on whether he decides to try and stand and trade for a bit. Or just straight go for that takedown.

Im hoping he just goes bull rush, straight takedown to leg lock.
Aaronno9
3/31/09 1:40:12AM
Tree stump, round one sub. Probably in the first 2 minutes. Alessios striking is better than Hendersons, no doubt. He just doesnt have to huge power. He could string some combos together early and rock stumpy, take him out of his game and mabeys get a TKO. But I personally think Sakara has almost 0 TDD and he'll get dragged to the mat and subbed pretty quick.
emac_cleary
3/31/09 7:32:23AM
im praying that sakara will land, he;s one of my favourite fighters to watch and is really close to being dropped
whardin19
3/31/09 9:25:03AM
Palhares is going to sub Sakara fast! 1st round submission. Yeah, Sakara's ground game is decent but not even close to Palhares.
pv3Hpv3p
3/31/09 12:17:27PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Mayhem13

Have to spread the love bro, but I will gladly take the +2 as well. Jeremy Horn gave him trouble on the feet...Sakara will knock his block off. Horn almost connected with a desperate head kick. Granted Vedepo and Palhares aren't on the same level, I still think that if given the opportunity Alessio will connect with a very similar head kick as he did against Vedepo.

As for Palhares being Anderson's toughest test...

Horn also KO'd Forrest Griffen with a head kick... A lot bigger and better striker than Palhares... And before you say anything... It was Forrest's 10th fight, and Horn was Palhares's 11th...

Toq has the heart and hunger to go along with his high octane submission game... If guys like Maia and Leites are talked about maybe being able to upset Anderson, you'll want to put Rousimar Palhares on that list as well
kaskd
4/1/09 12:48:17AM
OH MAN! I love both these fighters. Sakara has some sweet boxing to watch, it's just too bad he forgets that people are going to take him down and doesn't move his feet. Tree-stump has some HORRIBLE stand up, but the sweetest jiujitsu for a man that size.

Sakara is going to get submitted, but I hope he gives Hendo a call on how to avoid takedowns.
DCRage
4/1/09 12:43:58PM
Change of plans, folks. Fight's still on, but it's been moved to UFC 101.

Article