Rousey Living the Dream

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Rousey Living the Dream
Bubbles
3/28/12 12:39:58PM
Ronda Rousey, the newly-crowned Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion, spoke to sportsnet.ca over the weekend. In this second of a two-part interview, Rousey talks about the growth of women’s professional mixed martial arts, ring girls, getting free tickets for fights and her admiration of Jon Jones and Anderson Silva.

SN.ca: Where is the women’s division heading?

RR: I don’t know. I think there are a lot of interesting matchups that are available to me in the future. I think I’m kind of set up for awhile for good people to fight, especially with the last card having two women’s fights that did so well. There’s a lot of girls names out there that are starting to be recognizable that we can mix and match beyond just title fights that people will be interested in. I’m really optimistic about the future of the 135-pound division. I think a lot of people are going to see that I’m right.

SN.ca: How long do you think it will be before women can regularly headline cards?

RR: I’m doing everything I can to be the main event and get other people interested in all the other girls as well. It’s going to take time. I can’t tell you how much. I thought I would be fighting for a title within a year of my pro debut, but I didn’t expect it to be a main event. I didn’t expect a lot of things. We can’t say for sure how fast this women’s MMA thing can grow because it’s been absolutely crazy the last few months.

full interview here
tcunningham
3/29/12 2:16:24AM
ronda is right, it's gonna take time. the biggest problem with female MMA is the numbers. a good fighter like cyborg or rousey can dominate (assuming rousey keeps the title for a while) because they are really the only elite athleyes in female MMA. i say 4 to 5 more years before they get recognition and lets face it, they will never bring the numbers like the male competitors do. sorry ladies