Rotten Tomatoes Hands Out Its Annual "Golden Tomatoes"

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Rotten Tomatoes Hands Out Its Annual "Golden Tomatoes"
DCRage
1/12/10 7:39:17AM
Not quite the Oscars but RottenTomatoes.com revealed the best and worst-rated films on it's website. If you've never heard of them, they rate films from 0-100% based on a collecttion of reviews from movie critics. Obviously higher/more positive is better. They gave out 2 Golden Tomatoes, for the year's highest-rated films: For wide releases, it went to "Up"-98% positive reviews. That's the 3rd straight year now it's gone to a Pixar film. For limited-release films, it went to "The Hurt Locker"-97%. And finally, the Moldy Tomato-for the lowest-rated film of the year, went to...drum roll...
Street Fighter: The Legend Of Chun-Li. 4% positive. And as one who has seen it (got the unrated version from iTunes) I'd call my opinion of it neutral as I'm right in the middle. If I were rating it on the 10-point must system I gave it a 6.
grappler0000
1/12/10 10:39:09AM
You're being very generous DC...IMO, Chun-Li was a flaming turd at best. It's the last movie that I can remember where I had to force myself to watch the whole thing.
DCRage
1/12/10 11:05:31AM
Maybe, but I've seen worse...in fact, I just saw my last "force myself to sit through" movie last weekend-Avatar. And only because some people went with me and I didn't want to be rude to them.
Kpro
1/12/10 11:28:43AM

Posted by DCRage

Maybe, but I've seen worse...in fact, I just saw my last "force myself to sit through" movie last weekend-Avatar. And only because some people went with me and I didn't want to be rude to them.

I myself haven't seen either; but you're saying The Legend of Chun Li was better than Avatar ?
DCRage
1/12/10 11:36:59AM
If you looked at the ratings on my "10 point must system" I gave both films (I reviewed both on my blog)...yes. I gave SF a 6, Avatar a 4. Hey, I even thought higher of a cheesy Japanese slasher flick called "Zombie Hunter Rika" I got over the weekend, but then again I was a sucker for the girl who's the main star-she's got the "wide-eyed anime girl face" down.
cmill21
1/12/10 11:42:29AM
I thought Avatar was a sick movie. Up was ok, I would give it a 98 lol.
mrsmiley
1/12/10 2:46:46PM
Legend of Chun-Li was good in the same sense that House of the Dead was good. Simply on the cheese factor alone.
warglory
1/12/10 8:54:25PM

Posted by DCRage

If you looked at the ratings on my "10 point must system" I gave both films (I reviewed both on my blog)...yes. I gave SF a 6, Avatar a 4. Hey, I even thought higher of a cheesy Japanese slasher flick called "Zombie Hunter Rika" I got over the weekend, but then again I was a sucker for the girl who's the main star-she's got the "wide-eyed anime girl face" down.

You're obviously welcomed to your opinion, so I won't even challenge this, but I just can't see how Avatar is worse than the Chun Li movie, I just can't.
CwB
1/13/10 9:04:53PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by DCRage

You're obviously welcomed to your opinion, so I won't even challenge this, but I just can't see how Avatar is worse than the Chun Li movie, I just can't.

I havent seen Chun Li, but if I saw Avatar NOT in 3d it might of been one of the worst movies ive seen in a while
State_Champ
1/19/10 11:17:11AM
IMO:

Avatar had awesome special effects...but that was about it. Oh wait- It had Sigourney Weaver, who is also awesome.

UP was great! Really great!
The Hurt Locker became one of my favorite movies as soon as I saw it.
I thought District 9 should have been rated higher but w/e.

Street Fighter was truly awful. Definitely worse than Avatar.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/6/10 9:04:28PM
Avatar was a visually impressive movie with completely unorginal recycled storylines. I liked the movie when it was called Dances With Wolves the first time and then it's remake The Last Samurai. SPOILER ALERT FOR AVATAR Embittered soldier gets a second chance with a new army in a strange land. Falls in love with one the tribes he supposed be dealing with and begins a taboo romance. The embittered soldier then engages and turns on his former unit in the final battle and in the end becomes one of the people. Does anyone see the redundant nature of this storyline? I'm not saying I didn't like Avatar I'm simply saying that they didn't reinvent the wheel with the plot. Hell, if I hadn't seen it in 3-D i'd have been pissed I wasted all that money to see a movie whose storyline was the same as a movie made in 1990. Just my humble opinion. SPOILER ALERT FOR AVATAR