Ross Pearson Is "A Far Better Striker Than BJ Penn"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Ross Pearson Is "A Far Better Striker Than BJ Penn"
Next Page »
DCRage
7/22/10 8:53:32AM
At least the TUF 9 winner thinks he is. “We’re all very good at doing what we like to do. BJ’s ground game and wrestling is unbelievable, but I feel I’m a far better striker than he is. I might never be as good as he is at one thing, but he might never be as good as me at another. I’m not near a BJJ black belt, but a fight is a fight and anything can happen, that’s what makes the sport so exciting.” Should be noted, however, that Pearson TKOs opponents at a lower rate than Penn in his career to date-less than 30% (3 of 14) to Penn's 40%.

Article
BlueSkiesBurn
7/22/10 9:22:28AM
Why is a guy who has 5 submission wins compared to 2 KO wins talking about being a better striker through 14 fights than a fighter with 4 KO wins and 3 submission wins through his first 14 fights?
SmileR
7/22/10 9:30:31AM
Wow.... I'd love to see this fight happen. B.J would cripple him, Pearson is a tough guy but he's not excellent at anything.
I doubt he'd get past guys like Stevenson or Maynard but once he hits the actual contenders he'd get destroyed. Kenny would make him look slow and stupid on the feet and he could take him down and choke him out pretty much whenever he wanted.
B.J would pick him apart and would demand apologies before the end of the fight. It wouldn't even be close!
Wand_is_GOD
7/22/10 10:10:23AM

Posted by SmileR

Wow.... I'd love to see this fight happen. B.J would cripple him, Pearson is a tough guy but he's not excellent at anything.
I doubt he'd get past guys like Stevenson or Maynard but once he hits the actual contenders he'd get destroyed. Kenny would make him look slow and stupid on the feet and he could take him down and choke him out pretty much whenever he wanted.
B.J would pick him apart and would demand apologies before the end of the fight. It wouldn't even be close!

I would love to see him fight Stevenson or Maynard
RyanC
7/22/10 10:13:31AM
Freddie Roach said BJ has the best boxing in MMA . . . nuff' said.
noahgenda
7/22/10 10:19:07AM
freddie roach also said andrei arlovski has the best boxing in mma. freddie roach doesnt really know that much about mma. but this is a retarded opinion. bj penn is a beast and his jab alone is better than pearsons entire toolbox
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/22/10 10:19:30AM
RyanC
7/22/10 10:26:55AM

Posted by noahgenda

freddie roach also said andrei arlovski has the best boxing in mma. freddie roach doesnt really know that much about mma. but this is a retarded opinion. bj penn is a beast and his jab alone is better than pearsons entire toolbox

I was not aware of the Arlovski comment. I guess Freddie likes to talk out of both sides of his mouth. Probably not a coincidence that he's worked with BJ, and Andrei. Well that opinion kinda just went up in smoke. . . .

Does not change the fact that Pearson's comments are still ludicrous.
BigIP
7/22/10 10:52:17AM

Posted by RyanC

Posted by noahgenda

I was not aware of the Arlovski comment. I guess Freddie likes to talk out of both sides of his mouth. Probably not a coincidence that he's worked with BJ, and Andrei. Well that opinion kinda just went up in smoke. . . .

Arlovski does have the best boxing for a HW. I would say him and JDS are the best. AA problem is his chin. He just doesn't have the *best* chin!
BlueSkiesBurn
7/22/10 10:54:40AM

Posted by BigIP

Arlovski does have the best boxing for a HW. I would say him and JDS are the best. AA problem is his chin. He just doesn't have the *best* chin!

I'd say that Toney's boxing is better? Using your criterion.
BigIP
7/22/10 10:58:40AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by BigIP

At the time of Roach's statement Toney was not in MMA. I would agree he is probably the best boxer but what I think Roach was referring to was the best boxing for a pure 'MMA' fighter.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/22/10 11:07:36AM

Posted by BigIP

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by BigIP

At the time of Roach's statement Toney was not in MMA. I would agree he is probably the best boxer but what I think Roach was referring to was the best boxing for a pure 'MMA' fighter.

At the risk of trying to piss you off, which I'm not, who, then would you consider the best pure boxing MMA fighter?

I can do better than Arlovski even then. Silva is a better boxer than Arlovski. Now, down to technical boxing (in no particular oder)

1. Marcus Davis
2. Little Nog
3.Cro Cop
4. Belfort
5. Bonnar
BigIP
7/22/10 11:12:13AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by BigIP

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by BigIP

At the risk of trying to piss you off, which I'm not, who, then would you consider the best pure boxing MMA fighter?

I can do better than Arlovski even then. Silva is a better boxer than Arlovski. Now, down to technical boxing (in no particular oder)

1. Marcus Davis
2. Little Nog
3.Cro Cop
4. Belfort
5. Bonnar

I think for a HW AA and JDS are the best for MMA guys. Overall you forgot to mention guys like BJ, Frankie, Lytle, Hardy, Melvin Guillard and Paul Daley. Interesting topic!
BlueSkiesBurn
7/22/10 11:19:49AM

Posted by BigIP

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by BigIP

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by BigIP

1. Marcus Davis
2. Little Nog
3.Cro Cop
4. Belfort
5. Bonnar

I think for a HW AA and JDS are the best for MMA guys. Overall you forgot to mention guys like BJ, Frankie, Lytle, Hardy, Melvin Guillard and Paul Daley. Interesting topic!

True

EDIT: I meant the interesting topic part
BigIP
7/22/10 11:29:55AM
I forget to mention Rampage!!! Rampage under Junito was an awesome boxer. Might be the best at LHW?
noahgenda
7/22/10 11:48:41AM
i dont know about guys like cro cop and bonnar on your list, those guys are kickboxers to me, not pure boxers. i would certainly argue arlovskis technical boxing is a step above stephan bonnars. i also think i might put lil nog at number 1. rampage is/was a solid boxer but hes too much of a counter fighter imo, needs to work his jab and straight punches more and instigate the exchanges
icantthinkofanything
7/22/10 12:02:46PM

Posted by BigIP

Posted by RyanC

Posted by noahgenda

Ross is a talented striker, but he is not ready for BJ Penn yet. Ross and the other TUF guy are dynamic, but BJ is one of the best counterpuncher-stays in the pocket and hardly moves, and is good on offense moving foward, has great power and jab. Ross is way behind BJ.
I thought AA had good boxing in the Fedor fight and vs Sylvia etc. But his last fight vs Bigfoot, his boxing looked bad imo. I also thought Lil Nog was best at boxing, but his last fight not so much. BJ and Edgar will be fighting for the best boxer teq. imo.
c-dub
7/22/10 12:08:14PM
I think BJ would run through Ross and 4 him 2 say he is a better striker than Bj is crazy. Ross does has some good stand up but I think Bj is just an all around better fighter than him. Ross hasnt even came close 2 fightin the comp that Bj has so sayin he an all around better striker is just crazy.
FlashyG
7/22/10 12:20:41PM
I've never been a BJ (PENN) fan but even I have to admit this is laughable.

Ross should watch the clinic BJ put on Diego and see if his opinion changes.

He's taking the Chael Sonnen route to boost his profile I guess. Doesn't fit with the guy I remember from TUF.

emfleek
7/22/10 12:27:20PM

Posted by FlashyG

I've never been a BJ fan

-10,000 Guy Points!

Giant_Ochai
7/22/10 12:41:05PM

Posted by BigIP

Posted by RyanC

Posted by noahgenda

Really? Why did Antonio Silva outbox Arlovski without even trying?
RyanC
7/22/10 12:52:49PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by BigIP

Posted by RyanC

Posted by noahgenda

To say Silva wasn't trying is ridiculous. Of course he was trying.
Giant_Ochai
7/22/10 1:21:26PM

Posted by RyanC

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by BigIP

Posted by RyanC

Posted by noahgenda

To say Silva wasn't trying is ridiculous. Of course he was trying.

It's quite a bit more ridiculous to assume that I was being completely serious. Silva did outbox Arlovski quite easily. That's a fact.
RyanC
7/22/10 1:31:30PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai
It's quite a bit more ridiculous to assume that I was being completely serious. Silva did outbox Arlovski quite easily. That's a fact.

How is it ridiculous? I don't know you. If you write something I'm going to assume that you're serious.
BigIP
7/22/10 1:37:54PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by BigIP

Posted by RyanC

Posted by noahgenda

I agree he come out flat against Silva but the vast majority of his fights his boxing skills have looked good. He has 12 KO's. He didn't do that bad against Silva, I think people were expecting him to dominate the standup and since he didn't it looked like Silva did much better than he actually did (see Edgar v Penn). Compustrike statistics showed Silva landing 59 of 113 strikes thrown standing, compared to 53 of 137 for Arlovski.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/22/10 5:49:45PM

Posted by RyanC

Posted by Giant_Ochai

How is it ridiculous? I don't know you. If you write something I'm going to assume that you're serious.

I slept with Khloe, Kim, and Kourtney Kardashian...at the same time.
Pookie
7/22/10 7:01:23PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by RyanC

Posted by Giant_Ochai

I slept with Khloe, Kim, and Kourtney Kardashian...at the same time.

At my house!

Needless to say i was furious when i came home and saw titties everywhere.
SmileR
7/22/10 11:18:57PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by BigIP

Posted by RyanC

Posted by noahgenda

Dude, why do you even post here? All you do is attack other posters with your views which are mostly based on nothing but your opinion and then expect people to take you seriously?!

I know a good few posters who actively ignore you.
Can't you just post once without attacking someone's point of view?
Chael_Sonnen
7/22/10 11:27:13PM

Posted by DCRage

At least the TUF 9 winner thinks he is. “We’re all very good at doing what we like to do. BJ’s ground game and wrestling is unbelievable, but I feel I’m a far better striker than he is. I might never be as good as he is at one thing, but he might never be as good as me at another. I’m not near a BJJ black belt, but a fight is a fight and anything can happen, that’s what makes the sport so exciting.” Should be noted, however, that Pearson TKOs opponents at a lower rate than Penn in his career to date-less than 30% (3 of 14) to Penn's 40%.

Article

Wow, ignorance is bliss.
mrsmiley
7/23/10 6:10:00AM

That Ross Pearson is one funny guy.
Pages: [1] 2