What did you think Rory Macdonald?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What did you think Rory Macdonald?
komodo20
6/13/10 10:05:52AM
I tought Rory was really impressive in the first and second rounds. I tought he looked like a young gsp. He did a good job even if is a lose. He will be back in the ufc.
Chael_Sonnen
6/13/10 10:22:24AM
Love this kid...the future is really bright for Rory....unfortunate ending to the fight with only 9 seconds left.

His face is going to be sore today.

sclasclemski
6/13/10 12:30:13PM
I was impressed with him too and look forward to his next fight...he's gonna have a bright future.
Caesarrrr
6/13/10 3:44:52PM
Definitely is an impressive kid, this was an amazing fight.

Does anyone know where to find the pep talk greg jackson gave Carlos Condit after round 2? that was insane.
kopower
6/13/10 3:46:17PM
The kid has a bright future. Would like to see him improve on his defense standing. He got rocked in his last fight too. Other than that, he has a nice ground game, good standup and heart. He will give some fighters fits with his length. All in all, I was really impressed with him and how he pressured Condit for the majority of the fight.
aristipe
6/13/10 5:13:48PM
Many years ago, when MMA was not all that big in the US, it was possible for a fighter to actually have his MMA pro debut inside the UFC (BJ Penn anyone !). Now you have to earn peanuts fighting in minor leagues before Dana White will even consider you. If Rory MacDonald was able to get inside the UFC as such a young age, at least he will be well compensated for his efforts. I'm sure he'll be back better than ever. He has plenty of time to learn and improve, and I look forward to seeing his career evolve until he becomes a title contender in a few years. Problem is, GSP might still be champ by then, and he'll take out Rory for sure.

Styles
6/13/10 5:15:31PM
He was 7 seconds away from winning that fight, tough break for him. He has plenty of time to evolve into a stronger/smarter fighter, I agree that he will be a future champ.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/13/10 8:51:22PM
Even if he had gone the distance with Condit, I think it would have been 28-28.
Caesarrrr
6/13/10 11:07:08PM
I agree that it should have been a draw, had it gone the distance, but MMA judges are notorious for not wanting to call a draw. Condit went out there and did what he had to do in that fight, you have to respect him.
Aether
6/13/10 11:22:55PM

Posted by Styles

He was 7 seconds away from winning that fight, tough break for him. He has plenty of time to evolve into a stronger/smarter fighter, I agree that he will be a future champ.

I would be willing to bet that it would've ended in a split decision, majority decision or a draw. The second round was way closer than people seem to think and the final round was a 10-8 for sure on at least one judge's scorecard.
noahgenda
6/14/10 1:51:55PM
condit deserved the victory. i honestly believe the ref stopped the fight because he thought condit deserved the W and that judging is on some BS. it shouldnt have even been a draw, rory was straight up tooled badly in the final round, it looked like condit could have literally beat him to death if there wasnt a time limit on the fight. but by the standards if i was a judge i would have had to have scored it 28-28. anyone ever seen a 10-7 round score in mma before?
Jackelope
6/14/10 2:07:07PM
I said it somewhere else but i'll say it here, too.

I'd pick Condit to win any day of the week against nearly anybody else if it were in Japan. The guy never stops and he's constantly punishing his opponent no matter the position. He goes for the big KO or submission in positions where most guys would only think about getting out of.

IMO if it were a street fight Carlos basically straight up dominated that fight.

That being said- this is MMA and unified MMA rules at that. So the fight could have possibly gone to a draw. Based on the judging criteria you'd have to think that Macdonald was up but Condit definitely did quite a bit to convince the judges to score a 10-8 round.

Macdonald even said himself in post fight interviews that Carlos was basically kicking his ass the entire fight. He had a good shot here and a good shot there but for the most part Carlos was beating him like a red headed step child. Go watch them on UFC.com and you'll see that Macdonald says he was getting his ass kicked the whole time but that he had a few good moments.
Jackelope
6/14/10 8:30:44PM
I should add (since the thread is about Rory Macdonald) that he showed a ton of guts and a ton of talent. I think he'll be in the UFC for a while yet and that he may eventually make a bid for himself as a top 5 fighter
jiujitsufreak74
6/15/10 3:21:47AM

Posted by Jackelope

I said it somewhere else but i'll say it here, too.

I'd pick Condit to win any day of the week against nearly anybody else if it were in Japan. The guy never stops and he's constantly punishing his opponent no matter the position. He goes for the big KO or submission in positions where most guys would only think about getting out of.

IMO if it were a street fight Carlos basically straight up dominated that fight.

That being said- this is MMA and unified MMA rules at that. So the fight could have possibly gone to a draw. Based on the judging criteria you'd have to think that Macdonald was up but Condit definitely did quite a bit to convince the judges to score a 10-8 round.

Macdonald even said himself in post fight interviews that Carlos was basically kicking his ass the entire fight. He had a good shot here and a good shot there but for the most part Carlos was beating him like a red headed step child. Go watch them on UFC.com and you'll see that Macdonald says he was getting his ass kicked the whole time but that he had a few good moments.

i disagree to the extent that i believe that Rory was referring to the third round when he was talking about getting his as kicked. i say even if it was in Japan, on the street or wherever, Rory had won the first two rounds, or at the very least didn't lose them. It was the third round, where Condit has proven time and again to get stronger, that Rory got rocked and was subjected to Condit's fierce GnP.

Condit is a great fighter, and because of that fact Rory's performance is all the more great. the kid showed that he is comfortable anywhere the fight goes. he has very slick transitions and a very calm demeanor. he has crisp striking, good movement and definitely did not look like he was 20. i can't wait to see him polish his skills up even more and i don't see him plateauing like most young guns do when pushed too fast (as i believe he isn't being pushed too fast).

Also, i loved how humble he was in defeat and his mental game is far beyond where one expects a young fighter to be. bottom line is i was utterly impressed by the kid both inside and outside of the octagon.
RhythmAndStyle
6/15/10 10:52:11AM
when u start as young as Rory has..the sky the limit for this kid..i see him fightin for the title in the future..duno how long it'll take him to get that chance..but one day..he'll challenge for the belt..as the UFC is in desperate need of challengers for GSP..they'll take anybody that hasn't fought GSP yet and is on a win streak...
cowcatcher
6/15/10 10:57:32AM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

when u start as young as Rory has..the sky the limit for this kid..i see him fightin for the title in the future..duno how long it'll take him to get that chance..but one day..he'll challenge for the belt..as the UFC is in desperate need of challengers for GSP..they'll take anybody that hasn't fought GSP yet and is on a win streak...

its not only starting that young, but being so damn good already at that age that makes him look like he might be a special fighter. this kid definitely has a big future in the sport, and a lot of it is the maturity that jjfreak mentioned.
RhythmAndStyle
6/15/10 11:07:57AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

its not only starting that young, but being so damn good already at that age that makes him look like he might be a special fighter. this kid definitely has a big future in the sport, and a lot of it is the maturity that jjfreak mentioned.

agreed..i just hope they don't push him to hard and he burns his mental game and skills..that would be a waste of great, raw talent...
BlueSkiesBurn
6/15/10 5:06:32PM
I think, mentally, he can handle a small push. They shouldn't baby him, either. Opponents of the Kampmann's caliber will suffice for now until he gets some solid wins.
jiujitsufreak74
6/15/10 10:44:39PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I think, mentally, he can handle a small push. They shouldn't baby him, either. Opponents of the Kampmann's caliber will suffice for now until he gets some solid wins.

i think Kampmann proved he was vastly underrated after his loss to Daley. i think Kampmann is a little bit above the talent level for Rory's next fight. i would like to see him face someone like Mike Pierce. Hathaway is another extremely intriguing match-up, although i doubt the UFC would make their two rising young talent fight eachotehr
noahgenda
6/15/10 10:52:23PM
i think he probably meant condit's caliber rather than kampmann's
Jackelope
6/15/10 11:58:04PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

If you remember Kampmann and Condit's fight against each other it was super, super close. Condit nearly took the W at the end with the guillotine choke. Honestly as impressive as Macdonald's performance against a legit fighter like Carlos was I'd have to say he's not too far off from competing with some of the top guys.
jiujitsufreak74
6/16/10 12:57:43AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

If you remember Kampmann and Condit's fight against each other it was super, super close. Condit nearly took the W at the end with the guillotine choke. Honestly as impressive as Macdonald's performance against a legit fighter like Carlos was I'd have to say he's not too far off from competing with some of the top guys.

i think you meant to quote me haha, and i agree. i definitely think he can hold his own with some top fighters, it is just that after he just lost a great fight to Condit i believe he shouldn't fight someone with the same talent his next fight. maybe i'm babying him a little, but i want to see him get a win against a guy like Pierce, Ellenberger or even Amir for his next fight.
Jackelope
6/16/10 1:42:57AM
You know JJFreak- as crazy as it sounds - I might actually favor the Macdonald that showed up against Condit over Kampmann. Even though I picked Condit to win that fight and Kampmann has proven he can beat Condit. We all know styles make fights, obviously, but I really feel like Condit's constant assault regardless of position is what wore Macdonald down. I don't think Kampmann is capable of doing the same thing and that Macdonald could probably out strike Kampmann and wear him out by defending takedowns.
noahgenda
6/16/10 12:29:43PM
i dont think hes out striking kampmann, his ground game is better than his stand up imo
RhythmAndStyle
6/16/10 1:03:28PM
they should match up Rory with Dustin Hazelett..now they would be dope!
p.s. Jackelope , i don't think Rory would take Kampmann on the strikin department..but i would give the edge to Rory on the ground..just my 2cents...
Jackelope
6/16/10 1:19:41PM

Posted by noahgenda

i dont think hes out striking kampmann, his ground game is better than his stand up imo

It would be interesting to see IMO. Kampmann has a very different striking style than Condit does. It's quite a bit more orthodox. I think Macdonald would do very well against him standing.

Kampmann did look great in his last fight, though. So I'm not by any stretch of the imagination going to pretend like he couldn't beat Macdonald standing easily. I just think it would be an interesting styles matchup and one that as of now I might slightly favor Macdonald in.

Kampmann likes to clinch up and go for a takedown when he gets hit hard. I really think Macdonald could exploit that to wear Kampmann out. But it's all speculation of course.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/16/10 2:06:48PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

That's totally what I meant, Jackelope. Condit, Kampmann, etc...they're right there near the top. I wasn't belittling Kampmann by any means. I mean, you're not gonna throw MacDonald in there with GSP or Fitch just yet, but the Condit's and Kampmann's are good fights for him.

Hazelett would be awesome, too.
BustedKnuckle
6/16/10 7:45:03PM
Rory showed his skill and his heart in that fight. This guy is so young....he will be in the UFC for a long time. If he can string some wins together, and stay mainly injury free!! He will be a contender in no time.