UFC rookies of the year (so far)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC rookies of the year (so far)
Next Page »
shaneTpain
6/25/12 2:58:27PM
Okay so we're almost at the half way point of 2012 & there have already been 15 UFC events so far this year!!!
Gone are the days where UFC only held a handful of events per year (with Ken Shamrock headlining every one of them.)
The year is 2012 & that means UFC-aplenty!
15 events is a lot of fights & a lot of fights means a lot of fighters making there UFC debut Ive seen a lot of promise in some of this rookies & I've been disappointed with some hyped names as well.
So who do you think are the top 3 fighters who have made there UFC debut this year?
(BONUS: who was the biggest disappointment?)

Top 3 rookies of 2012 so far (IMO)

-Tim Means: His debut was a little slow but the lightning quick beating he gave Justin Salas was picturesque!

-Siyar Bahadurzada: Less then a minute of octagon time & hes already claimed main card status, cant wait to see more from this guy! Has Paulo even woke up yet?

-Tim Elliott: He may have lost his debut but he stole the spotlight from Dodson for the majority of the bout & won my heart

DISAPPOINTMENT
-Maximo Blanco... I was promised a KO machine! Not a friggin treadmill!!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Boo_Radley21
6/25/12 3:00:58PM
I can't take anyone too seriously after a quick knockout like that. Anyone can pull that off with a little luck
Budgellism
6/25/12 3:21:42PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I can't take anyone too seriously after a quick knockout like that. Anyone can pull that off with a little luck

Siyar is a monster dude
prophecy033
6/25/12 3:24:58PM
Jimy Hettes was a monster on the ground against Phan
Twenty20Dollars
6/25/12 3:35:21PM
Don't see it as a lucky punch by Siyar.
Hendo67
6/25/12 3:46:26PM
Erick Silva
kopower
6/25/12 3:55:23PM

Posted by Hendo67

Erick Silva

Silva's been a beast. I like Means too. Long rangy fighter with some solid td defense and power in his hands
airkerma
6/25/12 4:00:10PM
Stephen thompson was...then he got owned by matt brown :(. I agree with erick silva,
prozacnation1978
6/25/12 4:04:17PM
Eric silva ain't a rookie he fought in 2011

I would have to say still lavar Johnson
Hacian dias looked good
And will be with TIM means
prophecy033
6/25/12 4:11:06PM

Posted by airkerma

Stephen thompson was...then he got owned by matt brown :(. I agree with erick silva,

MMAcca
6/25/12 4:13:44PM
Max Holloway.

I know he lost to Poirier, but he's only twenty years old and that's about as tough a UFC debut as you can get imo.
infestructure
6/25/12 4:17:18PM

Posted by prophecy033

Jimy Hettes was a monster on the ground against Phan

^^^This, and the kid outstruck Phan on the feet. Gonna go far if he builds up a solid chin.

Someone mentioned Hacran Dias - I thought he was a great grappler, but looked apprehensive on the feet. KO material if I ever saw it.

Tim Means and Holloway also look like they will go far. Holloway needs some TDD.
Twenty20Dollars
6/25/12 4:56:03PM

Posted by MMAcca

Max Holloway.

I know he lost to Poirier, but he's only twenty years old and that's about as tough a UFC debut as you can get imo.

He was actually beating Dustin on the feet, which caused Dustin to take him down. Maybe took that fight on short notice, I think he did.

Then Max showed improved ground game in his last fight or takedown defense.
MMAcca
6/25/12 5:01:25PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Posted by MMAcca

Max Holloway.

He was actually beating Dustin on the feet, which caused Dustin to take him down. Maybe took that fight on short notice, I think he did.

Then Max showed improved ground game in his last fight or takedown defense.

Loved those body shots in his last fight.
deck15
6/25/12 5:24:01PM
Glover Teixera or Ian Macall I've been looking forward to both of them in the ufc and both lived up to the hype IMO.
shaneTpain
6/25/12 5:40:33PM

Posted by deck15

Glover Teixera or Ian Macall I've been looking forward to both of them in the ufc and both lived up to the hype IMO.

UNCLE CREEPY!!!!
E-SILVA!!!!
HOLLOWAY!!!!
GLOVER!!!
How could I forget!?!!
We are gonna see some FUCKIN EPIC matches in the near future
postman
6/25/12 5:40:48PM
Hettes but im bias
Budgellism
6/25/12 7:13:27PM

Posted by postman

Hettes but im bias

I jumped on his band wagon real quick after his win against Phan. That kid has endless potential.
DrivenDavies15
6/25/12 8:08:46PM
I liked most of the guys mentioned, as well as Nick Denis and Khabib Nurmagomedov! Denis has great potential and looked good against Delrome until he got stopped and if Khabib can beat Tibau next weekend I can see him definitely being a contender, I mean 17-0? That's a sweet record albeit against some unknown competition.
lohmann
6/25/12 9:27:38PM

Posted by deck15

Okay, those guys might just be starting in the UFC but they should not be regarded as anywhere near rookies.
Bubbles
6/25/12 10:07:09PM
shane, you should keep editing the OP to include new fighters or take some off as the year progresses

Steven Siler should get some recognition, even though he fought on the TUF finale in December.
Chris Clements will beat Roller to go 2-0 in the UFC
gotta keep tabs on the TUF fighters like Lawrence, Chiesa, Rony Jason and Cezar Mutante.
FastKnockout
6/25/12 11:42:18PM
Erick Silva!
DrivenDavies15
6/26/12 12:14:37AM

Posted by Bubbles

shane, you should keep editing the OP to include new fighters or take some off as the year progresses

Steven Siler should get some recognition, even though he fought on the TUF finale in December.
gotta keep tabs on the TUF fighters like Lawrence, Chiesa, Rony Jason and Cezar Mutante.

Clements is fighting Siyar in July while John Alessio is actually fighting Roller just so ya know

I expect the TUF winners to do big things as well, especially Rony Jason
deck15
6/26/12 12:44:39AM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by deck15

Okay, those guys might just be starting in the UFC but they should not be regarded as anywhere near rookies.

No one is ever a rookie when they reach reach the ufc you have prove your worth as a pro just to get a Contract... Well everyone but Brock Lesner and those who made it from TUF with without a pro bout
Boo_Radley21
6/26/12 1:41:49AM

I'm not necessarily saying he was lucky, but with a little luck anybody can pull that off (Serra comes to mind)

I'd be more impressed and more inclined to call him rookie of the year if he had a longer fight that showed more of his skills rather than one punch. How can someone be a rookie of the year if that's all youve seen of them?
bigrand826
6/26/12 11:05:52AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I'm not necessarily saying he was lucky, but with a little luck anybody can pull that off (Serra comes to mind)

I'd be more impressed and more inclined to call him rookie of the year if he had a longer fight that showed more of his skills rather than one punch. How can someone be a rookie of the year if that's all youve seen of them?

I tend to agree with this. I think it is tough to judge who the better fighter is in a match that end like that, so quickly. Hendrick's win over Fitch was very similar. He threw 1 or 2 punches, they landed clean, and it was over.
Bubbles
6/26/12 7:45:00PM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Posted by Bubbles

Clements is fighting Siyar in July while John Alessio is actually fighting Roller just so ya know

I expect the TUF winners to do big things as well, especially Rony Jason

they aren't even in the same weight class lol
Bubbles
6/26/12 7:46:39PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

these are just nominees for 2012. He will have at least 1 more fight this year to have a better gauge. What if he goes 3-0 with 3 1st round KOs in like 5 minutes combined?
prophecy033
6/26/12 7:49:50PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Boo_Radley21

these are just nominees for 2012. He will have at least 1 more fight this year to have a better gauge. What if he goes 3-0 with 3 1st round KOs in like 5 minutes combined?

Then he would be Erick Silva
Bubbles
6/26/12 10:58:09PM

Posted by prophecy033
Then he would be Erick Silva

Except Silva has a loss on his record....I mean Mario put a loss on his record
Pages: [1] 2