Ronda Rousey's manager responds to Cyborg's life-threatening weight cut claims

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Ronda Rousey's manager responds to Cyborg's life-threatening weight cut claims
SmileR
11/14/12 6:36:37AM
Ronda Rousey's manager takes 'Cyborg' Santos and her professional medical opinion that warns a 10-pound weight cut could harm the Brazilian to task, saying opinions (paraphrasing here) are like belly buttons ... everyone has got them.

Everyone has got them, including medical professionals who are charged with protecting the health -- and possibly even the self interests -- of their patients.

The cardiologist who former Strikeforce female champion Cristiane Santos relies on to ensure that her lub-dub lub-dubs properly to keep her blood pumping, recently warned her that cutting 10 pounds could have detrimental effects on her ticker. In addition to the potential pulmonary problems, the drop from her current fighting weight of 145 to pounds to 135 pounds could prohibit "Cyborg" from "carrying a child later in life."

Risking life and possibly motherhood for a mixed martial arts (MMA) fight seems like a pretty easy decision: No thanks.

Then again, it's only one opinion and, as we've already explained, everyone has got them, including medical professionals who are charged with protecting the health -- and possibly even the self interests -- of their patients. Just because it's one opinion, naturally, doesn't mean it's the correct or accurate reflection of the current situation.

Rather than let me try and explain it, I'll turn it over to Darin Harvey, who represents current Strikeforce female champion -- and possibly future big-money "Cyborg" opponent -- Ronda Rousey, who just so happens to weigh 10 pounds less than the Brazilian.

Harvey breaks it down to Yahoo!Sports.com:

"If you ask five doctors, you'll get five different opinions. I guarantee you, you can find doctors that'll say the weight cut will be fine.... It all depends on what side they're working for. It's her doctor. If you're going to trial, I can find a professional witness to make you look innocent or make you look guilty.... I don't want to see anyone get hurt long-term ... but my personal belief is she can lose the weight. She would just prefer an advantage to fight at 145 pounds. And I think we have the advantage at 135."

"We want that fight because it's a big money fight. We want to fight Cyborg and I think Ronda can beat her at any weight. But I believe if she's not taking drugs, 135 pounds will be absolutely no problem.... At the end of the day, it's up to Ronda. I would advise against it because I would like to do everything to get Cyborg down to 135 pounds, but I know it's the fight the world wants to see. I think it's a million-plus Pay-Per-View fight, so we have to take those things into consideration."

Link
Goatenstein
11/14/12 9:34:41AM
It's obvious to me that Cyborg just went and got some doctors to say that so she can try to make Rousey go up to fight her. Just getting off the juice should allow her to easily drop enough muscle to make 135.
Wallass
11/14/12 9:36:46AM
This is little more than a smear campaign by Ronda and her manager. If Ronda wanted the fight she'd never left 145. You left 145 cause you can't beat Cyborg Ronda and I actually can't wait for this fight if it ever happens as Rondas long overdue for a humbling.
BigBadAl
11/14/12 9:40:25AM

Posted by SmileR

In addition to the potential pulmonary problems, the drop from her current fighting weight of 145 to pounds to 135 pounds could prohibit "Cyborg" from "carrying a child later in life."

I think it's more likely the fact that she is too hideous to mate with that will prevent that.
Bubbles
11/14/12 9:54:15AM

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by SmileR

In addition to the potential pulmonary problems, the drop from her current fighting weight of 145 to pounds to 135 pounds could prohibit "Cyborg" from "carrying a child later in life."

I think it's more likely the fact that she is too hideous to mate with that will prevent that.

SmileR
11/14/12 10:54:37AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by SmileR

These are actually men. . . Its amazing what makeup and photoshop can do.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
machodog76
11/14/12 1:07:15PM

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by SmileR

nah, it's her penis that will cause the most problems.
MMAFanatic564
11/14/12 2:03:33PM
Cyborg having a baby? That would be one ugly creature
george112
11/14/12 2:15:55PM
Meet in the middle. 140
postman
11/14/12 2:32:58PM
I'm not sure any fighter gets bashed more then Chris Cyborg
Manak
11/14/12 3:23:40PM

Posted by postman

well when your fighting style is heavily reliant on your physical attributes and then you get popped for PEDs, all your credibility is shot
MMAcca
11/14/12 3:51:30PM

Posted by Wallass

This is little more than a smear campaign by Ronda and her manager. If Ronda wanted the fight she'd never left 145. You left 145 cause you can't beat Cyborg Ronda and I actually can't wait for this fight if it ever happens as Rondas long overdue for a humbling.

Cyborg made the press release stating that medical professionals have told her she cannot make the weight.

This is just Rousey's camp responding.
telnights
11/14/12 4:07:54PM
So wonder what Cyborg's doc had to say about her using PEDs.
I really think Ronda would have fought Cyborg at her weight class if she didn't get popped for PED. Cyborg style has always been strength and power to win. So yes PEDs did give her an unfair advantage. I think asking her to fight at a weight that would make her drop some of the muscle mass she put on while using PEDs is totally a fare request.
SmileR
11/14/12 7:07:04PM

Posted by telnights

I really think Ronda would have fought Cyborg at her weight class if she didn't get popped for PED. Cyborg style has always been strength and power to win. So yes PEDs did give her an unfair advantage. I think asking her to fight at a weight that would make her drop some of the muscle mass she put on while using PEDs is totally a fare request.

Its hard to argue with sense. Also Ronda is the only one with a belt out of the two, why move up to a devision with no one else in it except a cheat who refuses to move down?
Goatenstein
11/15/12 4:56:28AM
She can walk into any doctor's office in Brazil and get whatever she wants.
postman
11/15/12 8:32:36AM

Posted by Manak

Posted by postman

well when your fighting style is heavily reliant on your physical attributes and then you get popped for PEDs, all your credibility is shot

So her looks and ability to make babies is fair game?
Bubbles
11/15/12 9:12:40AM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by telnights

Its hard to argue with sense. Also Ronda is the only one with a belt out of the two, why move up to a devision with no one else in it except a cheat who refuses to move down?

technically Santos is still the champion at 145, just not officially. Would you want Silva to cut down to 170 to fight GSP? Or Aldo to cut to 135 to fight Cruz?
thevoodooninja
11/15/12 10:13:31AM
RonDA ain't fooling me for a second. If ronDA wants to fight her so bad she will go back up and fight. RonDA moved out of her weight class for a reason. Now she expects cyborg to cut weight to fight her .

If cyborg would show up at ronDAs house she would certainly puss out. (no pun intended)
telnights
11/15/12 5:15:07PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by SmileR

Posted by telnights

technically Santos is still the champion at 145, just not officially. Would you want Silva to cut down to 170 to fight GSP? Or Aldo to cut to 135 to fight Cruz?

Cris Cyborg was stripped of the title and yes I would want Silva to cut to 170 if he was popped for PEDs and his style was just to over power the other fighter. Unlike Cyborg Silva is technical fighter and PEDs would do very little to help him. In fact I would go as far to say they could even hurt his style. The same goes for Aldo.

LINK
Wolfenstein
11/15/12 5:24:21PM

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

RonDA ain't fooling me for a second. If ronDA wants to fight her so bad she will go back up and fight. RonDA moved out of her weight class for a reason. Now she expects cyborg to cut weight to fight her .

If cyborg would show up at ronDAs house she would certainly puss out. (no pun intended)

Ronda was tiny at 145, which is why she moved down. Frankly, no one really cares about Cyborg. ONly reason she got any publicity was that she fought Gina. Now she needs another big name like Ronda to get any press. Rousey should just stick to her division. No need to come up in weight to fight a known steroid abuser who will probably outweight her by at least 20 pounds.