Ronda Rousey vs Liz Carmouche Main Event at UFC 157

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Ronda Rousey vs Liz Carmouche Main Event at UFC 157
Next Page »
Shawn91111
12/6/12 3:34:04PM
Ariel Helwani ?@arielhelwani

Dana announces Rousey vs. Carmouche will main event UFC 157.
Expand

TMZ ?@TMZ

Ronda Rousey BOOKS 1ST UFC FIGHT -- Main Event at UFC 157

We've known for a few weeks that Strikeforce women's Bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey would be coming over the UFC. Now, according to a report from TMZ, we know when and against whom.

If the report is true, Rousey will make her UFC debut against Liz Carmouche in the headliner of UFC 157 in Anaheim, California on February 23, 2013. So far the other fights expected to be on that card are a Light Heavyweight #1 contenders bout between Dan Henderson and Lyoto Machida and a Bantamweight bout between Urijah Faber and Ivan Menjivar.

LINK
Shawn91111
12/6/12 3:35:35PM
Ariel Helwani ?@arielhelwani

Dana just crowned Ronda Rousey the first ever UFC women's champ. http://twitpic.com/bjnj3e

BuffaloDave
12/6/12 3:46:13PM
Liz is a decent fighter, but she will most likely suffer than same fate as everyone else,

R1 Rouseybar

It's a shame there is that beef with Golden Glory, Coenen would have been a better opponent.
Copenhagen
12/6/12 3:48:45PM
at all the male fighter's facial expressions.

And Dana's is the best.
Shawn91111
12/6/12 3:52:31PM
I think this is great news for Dan Henderson that his fight with Machida is for 3 rounds and not 5.
Poor_Franklin
12/6/12 3:53:04PM
at Dana lookin at that ass

1. funny to me that Liz was the only one who wanted this fight (Ariel tweeted Dana said this earlier)
2. i would much prefer Carmouche vs Cyborg for a shot at the champ, but i don't expect the UFC to make much sense w/ WMMA any time soon.
BuffaloDave
12/6/12 3:56:12PM

Posted by Shawn91111

I think this is great news for Dan Henderson that his fight with Machida is for 3 rounds and not 5.

That's a great point!

I thought the best way to break Rousey into the UFC, would have been on a Fox card.
Goatenstein
12/6/12 4:09:33PM
This shouldn't be the main event just because it could end so quickly.
BillsNewAccount
12/6/12 4:09:42PM
*fart noise
Theoutlaw08
12/6/12 4:18:46PM

Posted by Copenhagen

at all the male fighter's facial expressions.

And Dana's is the best.

Their faces are priceless. They all look board to hell at what she is saying. Benson is in a Daze. Diaz looks like he is about to fall asleep. Whoever is next to Diaz is looking at the ceiling. HAHAHA
Budgellism
12/6/12 4:19:45PM
Poor_Franklin
12/6/12 4:19:49PM

Posted by Goatenstein

disagree. w/ that logic, we don't need Velasquez/JDS II as a ME either
Poor_Franklin
12/6/12 4:20:44PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Whoever is next to Diaz is looking at the ceiling. HAHAHA

Gustaffson?
shaneTpain
12/6/12 4:23:00PM
This is a decent bout to kick off the female division
I'm glad they quit waiting around for Cyborg.
Theoutlaw08
12/6/12 4:32:56PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Whoever is next to Diaz is looking at the ceiling. HAHAHA

Gustaffson?

Yup, couldnt tell at first glance of the photo cause i couldnt see his whole face. Plus then i noticed the name tag in front of him. HA
sparky
12/6/12 4:40:26PM

Posted by Goatenstein

Thats like saying JDS vs Cain shouldnt be main event because that can end quickly too

I personally think Rousey on PPV will do awesome I for one will be ordering this event

WAR ROUSEY
Bubbles
12/6/12 5:30:39PM

Posted by sparky

Posted by Goatenstein

Thats like saying JDS vs Cain shouldnt be main event because that can end quickly too

I personally think Rousey on PPV will do awesome I for one will be ordering this event

WAR ROUSEY

or any Anderson Silva fight
prozacnation1978
12/6/12 5:35:45PM
Cyborg vs rousey I wanted
Rousey vs Liz I don't.

Wish they could have put this as a fox or fuel main event
And had bantam or fly weight title as ppv main event

I honesty thing some of my friends probably will not go now to live event which may actually benefit me now so I can stay in la Friday night and not drive both days to Honda center
DancingDoll
12/6/12 5:42:11PM
Excited to see Rousey fight, even though I know it'll be over in the blink of an eye. I wonder how the odds are going to open up on that one. RR will be a *huge* favourite.

I don't really know who Carmouche is... I'm still a newbie to women's MMA. It sounds like she's just another arm to add to Ronda's collection, but it'll still be exciting to kickstart the division.

I don't know if it was the best idea to make it the main event but I can understand why UFC is trying to throw its weight behind this bout to get people talking and excited.

I'd definitely be looking forward to Rousey v Cyborg. Hope that one isn't too far off.
emfleek
12/6/12 5:44:51PM

Posted by DancingDoll

I don't really know who Carmouche is... I'm still a newbie to women's MMA. It sounds like she's just another arm to add to Ronda's collection, but it'll still be exciting to kickstart the division.

Pretty much. A showcase fight to introduce her to the world from the "big" stage.
DancingDoll
12/6/12 5:49:28PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by DancingDoll

Pretty much. A showcase fight to introduce her to the world from the "big" stage.

True. It will definitely build Ronda some fans for those that don't know who she is. And also validate why they handed her the belt to start things off.
Gogoplatapus
12/6/12 5:50:24PM
What a farce. I'd be pissed if I were Benson or Nate....or any other one of those guys. Or Hendo and Machida.

Poor_Franklin
12/6/12 5:56:54PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

What a farce. I'd be pissed if I were Benson or Nate....or any other one of those guys. Or Hendo and Machida.

as Shawn said earlier, i don't think Hendo will mind it being a 3 round fight.

i think hendo vs machida will help sell people that are on the fence about buying the ppv. not sure how much it will help though
FastKnockout
12/6/12 6:03:52PM
Main event? Pass.
Gogoplatapus
12/6/12 6:08:29PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by Gogoplatapus

as Shawn said earlier, i don't think Hendo will mind it being a 3 round fight.

i think hendo vs machida will help sell people that are on the fence about buying the ppv. not sure how much it will help though

I mind.

frizzzlecake
12/6/12 6:12:34PM
Anyone else notice how engaged Shogun was to that conversation? Shogun know's how to get with a lady.

I feel bad for Liz, she's a tough fighter n all but, Ronda Round 1 armbar.
Gogoplatapus
12/6/12 6:13:01PM
Same guys bitching about Hendricks getting passed on WARing Rousey vs some chick I've never heard of. In a main event. On PPV.

I'd buy Barao McDonald way before I'd buy Rousey vs anyone.

There's only one good female fight out there. After that, zero.
BuffaloDave
12/6/12 6:13:02PM

Posted by DancingDoll

Excited to see Rousey fight, even though I know it'll be over in the blink of an eye. I wonder how the odds are going to open up on that one. RR will be a *huge* favourite.

I bet the odds on the PG will be Rousey -900 at least.
george112
12/6/12 6:14:22PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Main event? Pass.

My thoughts as well.

Wouldnt it be something of she were to come out and lose!!! Oh man that'd be some funny shit.

Nothing against Rousey but I hope she loses. It's easy to be the best when your virtually the only one in a division.

Of course ratings will probably be high the first few events with a female . Just because its so new. But once people see just how un-technical the females are ratings will likely drop with a female main event
emfleek
12/6/12 6:23:56PM

Posted by george112

But once people see just how un-technical the females are ratings will likely drop with a female main event

Yeah, you apparently haven't watched much WMMA lately. They're catching up, bro.
Pages: [1] 2