Rogers' Manager: 'Overeem Is Afraid'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rogers' Manager: 'Overeem Is Afraid'
babytater03
7/6/09 3:18:57PM
Following Brett Rogers' impressive 22-second knockout of Andrei Arlovski on the June 6 Strikeforce event, many suspected that he would be next in line to fight for the organization's heavyweight title. However, Rogers' trainer/manager, Mike Reilly, told FanHouse Monday that he isn't surprised that Rogers isn't getting the first crack at champion Alistair Overeem.

"I don't think Overeem was ever planning on fighting Brett," Reilly said. "I think Overeem is afraid of Brett. He's afraid of a big striker who is going to knock him out. ... I don't think anyone is going to admit that, but I'm not going to shy away from it. He's had two opportunities to fight Brett but he hasn't taken either of him."

CLICK
lohmann
7/6/09 3:27:28PM

Reilly added that he was always planning on having Rogers fight again in October, and that he would like to have him compete two more times this year. He mentioned that he was initially surprised to see Werdum get a title shot in his first fight for Strikeforce, but upon further reflection, he thought it made sense because "if I was Overeem, I would avoid Brett too. it's a horrible f***ing fight for Overeem."

Overeem has no shot. The guy can't strike with a guy like Brett Rogers; Rogers will outwrestle him, work him over in the clinch, and has a great shot of submitting this can. Rogers has been developing his Muay Thai, and everybody knows Overeem's striking just isn't ready for that. The shredded Rogers will just throw around the slobbish, small Alistair Overeem.

Rogers's management needs to be a little bit more creative. I don't think anybody that knows what Overeem is can logically buy into this trash talk. This is the same Golden Glory fighter that brought it to a three-time K-1 grand prix champion and knocked out a finalist without much trouble.
scobac
7/6/09 3:52:31PM
hahaha those are some big words on behalf of a second rate HW, IMO he got lucky and came straight at AA and caught him, that dosnt make the guy a world beater, nice win but lets be real the guy isnt fedor or couture so dont talk like he is.
wrona666
7/6/09 4:24:58PM
Although i do believe that Rogers does deserve a title shot over Werdum.....I think this is a lot of big talk from a guy that only has one big win over AA......
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/6/09 4:31:04PM
Rogers' Manager IMO should shut up and leave the trash talking up to Rogers' if he wants to do any.
SPARX
7/6/09 5:31:41PM
k lol let rogers' camp think that
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/6/09 6:06:10PM
fights remy and hari in k1 , cro cop , hunt , shogun X 2 , Vitor X2 , Lil Nog X2 , Kharitonov X2 , arona , buentello , igor , zentsov etc

Now he's ducking rogers of all people? Get Real !!
whardin19
7/6/09 7:17:33PM
Overeem afraid of Rogers? Ha ha ha!!! That's funny. This manager needs to keep his opinions to himself and let his fighter say something if he wants too. This fight will eventually happen so there's no need to stir the pot right now. Relax and wait your turn.

On another hand though. I do think Rogers is biting off more than he can chew calling out Overeem though. He's not ready for that step yet.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/6/09 7:46:40PM

Posted by lohmann

Reilly added that he was always planning on having Rogers fight again in October, and that he would like to have him compete two more times this year. He mentioned that he was initially surprised to see Werdum get a title shot in his first fight for Strikeforce, but upon further reflection, he thought it made sense because "if I was Overeem, I would avoid Brett too. it's a horrible f***ing fight for Overeem."

Overeem has no shot. The guy can't strike with a guy like Brett Rogers; Rogers will outwrestle him, work him over in the clinch, and has a great shot of submitting this can. Rogers has been developing his Muay Thai, and everybody knows Overeem's striking just isn't ready for that. The shredded Rogers will just throw around the slobbish, small Alistair Overeem.

Rogers's management needs to be a little bit more creative. I don't think anybody that knows what Overeem is can logically buy into this trash talk. This is the same Golden Glory fighter that brought it to a three-time K-1 grand prix champion and knocked out a finalist without much trouble.

When this fight happends i'll be hoping for an Av. bet with you, since you seem to think so highly of Mr. Rogers
lohmann
7/6/09 8:16:15PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

When this fight happends i'll be hoping for an Av. bet with you, since you seem to think so highly of Mr. Rogers

Alistair has no chance.
StriderXero
7/6/09 8:20:09PM
i think overeem would knock him out with a flying hammerfist
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/6/09 8:27:53PM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Alistair has no chance.

so this is a pending deal then

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
slapshot
7/6/09 9:20:37PM
Its just a attempt to get under Overeem's skin. I think at this point Overeem is a more complete fighter and there is a good chance he could KO Rogers.
Jackelope
7/6/09 9:33:37PM
I love it when sarcasm goes completely unnoticed
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/6/09 9:47:07PM

Posted by Jackelope

haha we both proped each other for it, it was noticed
mrsmiley
7/6/09 10:08:11PM
I highly doubt Overeem is afraid.

I hope these 2 fight though because it would be one awesome bout.

Overeem has got a lot more experince to go off of,but what we have seen of rogers is impressive.
Alister has come into his own in the past few years,and Rogers has proven to already be a juggernaut at HW.
I'm leaning slightly towards Rogers,but I say it's really about 50/50
prozacnation1978
7/6/09 10:21:28PM
i thought that overeem was gonna fight werdum in the beginning
rogers was never in line for first crack
i think rogers will be on the card still
Jackelope
7/6/09 10:51:27PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by Jackelope

haha we both proped each other for it, it was noticed

LOL, yeah I found that out afterward. Perhaps there's a bit of irony in my post now
RearNakedJoke
7/7/09 4:57:35AM
Rogers is always claiming people are ducking him when he doesnt get what he wants. if he was in the ufc Brock Lesnar would be ducking him. if he was with affliction fedor would be ducking him. get over yourself! your only significant win is over Arlovski who clearly has some issues to deal with. enjoy your undefeated streak while it lasts.

i'd probably be a Rogers fan if it wasnt for the constant whining when he doesnt get the fight he wants. he should just be happy he can fight for a living instead of tossing tires.
cowcatcher
7/7/09 10:37:24AM
where does rogers go from here though? is there a big fight for him left in SF outside of a title fight? after beating AA i dont think theres a guy that they can toss him in there against thats a step up in competition so hes probably going to end up with a lesser fighter than he deserves at this point. who knows though, maybe a rothwell or monson or someone like that can be brought in for him to fight in the meantime and solidify him as the #1 contender.
sparky
7/7/09 11:15:26AM
Overeem will destroy Rogers!!!!

Dude got lucky against Arlovski!!!
Rush
7/7/09 1:34:58PM
I really wish that fighters, fans, promoters, managers, trainers, etc. put "he's afraid" shit away. It's just stupid. I am convinced that no professional fighter at this level is afraid to fight another guy.

I do understand a fighter's position in terms of fights that may be risky or not beneficial to their careers, but it has nothing to do with being afraid of the other fighter.

For example, a surgeon that trains in martial arts may not want to punch wood or blocks because they don't want to risk injuring their hands (because they need them for their career), but it doesn't necessarily mean they are afraid of hurting their hands (for example the pain).
JimiMak
7/7/09 4:52:54PM
Well he said it to get ppl talking, so it looks like it worked. That's how hype works.

Why do ppl get butthurt about some trash talk to try to get your fighter being talked more about?
GraMMA
7/7/09 6:12:51PM
If Overeem isn't really afraid he should be.Rogers is the next big thing and will continue to prove it against any hw on the planet.He's gunning for Fedor and his WAMMA belt.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/7/09 6:29:17PM

Posted by GraMMA

If Overeem isn't really afraid he should be.Rogers is the next big thing and will continue to prove it against any hw on the planet.He's gunning for Fedor and his WAMMA belt.

i'll need jackelope help here, sarcasm or not?
Rush
7/7/09 10:49:56PM

Posted by JimiMak

Well he said it to get ppl talking, so it looks like it worked. That's how hype works.

Why do ppl get butthurt about some trash talk to try to get your fighter being talked more about?

Because it is lame and it shows the inferior mentality of the fighters and fans that buy into it.