Roger Huerta Talks Fight Preparation - Calls Out BJ Penn

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Roger Huerta Talks Fight Preparation - Calls Out BJ Penn
MMAcca
7/15/08 1:38:05PM
Roger Huerta made the following statement via myspace bulletin:

"I feel really good mentally at this point, a month before I fight Kenny Florian at UFC 87. I feel relaxed and very knowledgeable as well, and I think that comes from being blessed with the guys I’ve been training with.

I flew to Denver, Colorado last week to train with Trevor Wittman. I’m here training with one of the best boxing coaches there is. I came here a week before Nate (Marquardt) fought in London to help him before his fight, and at the same time I got to know Trevor, who did some mitt work with me and helped me out. I fell in love with his training methods and his work as a striking coach and I knew that I had found my boxing coach. So I’m out here now and learning from him. I’ll be here until the 13th of July, and then we’ll all head down to New Mexico to work with Greg Jackson and Georges St-Pierre, and Nate will be coming down as well.

LINK
bigbubbano23
7/15/08 1:42:53PM
i think he's the one who's gonna stop florian's rise to the top. he's just to explosive for florian
warglory
7/15/08 2:06:51PM

Posted by bigbubbano23

i think he's the one who's gonna stop florian's rise to the top. he's just to explosive for florian

Roger hasn't encountered anyone with even close to the ground skills that Kenny has. I think that Roger will be submitted in the opening round, and this is coming from a Huerta fan!
Manak
7/15/08 2:12:10PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by bigbubbano23

Roger hasn't encountered anyone with even close to the ground skills that Kenny has. I think that Roger will be submitted in the opening round, and this is coming from a Huerta fan!

thats how i see it too, kenny 1st rd sub, kenny is sick on the ground
Aaronno9
7/15/08 2:19:58PM
I kinda hope Huerta looses just so he doesn't have to fight B.J. I think he'll wreck huerta like he did Stevenson and it might derail him. Id rather see him have 2-3 more fights and hone his skills a little more before going for the title.
loller90278
7/15/08 2:22:06PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by warglory

Posted by bigbubbano23

i think alberto crane has a better ground game than kenny florian
wrona666
7/15/08 3:26:31PM
hasnt fought anyone with a ground game huh.....How about Alberto Crane, but saying that i do still think im going to have to go with Florian on this one he is one tough SOB....
Pitbull09
7/15/08 3:33:31PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by bigbubbano23

Yea, I liked Huerta too before the Guida fight. I think he still needs some time to improve. Florian has been all out in his past fights. Huerta doesnt exactly mind going to decision.

I see it Florian 1st round TKO, only because I think Huerta will take him down and he will throw elbows til Huerta is bloody
FantasyFighter
7/15/08 3:34:21PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by Manak

Posted by warglory

Posted by bigbubbano23

i think alberto crane has a better ground game than kenny florian

Sorry, but you are wrong here. Alberto may have the better straight jiu-jitsu ground game, but i dont think he has the better mma ground game. Alberto is not as much of a threat striking whereas kenny can not only tap you out, but can really hurt you on the ground with strikes also.
Frost_777
7/15/08 3:34:40PM
in florian's last few fights he has shown some significant skills in ground and pound and alot of good stand-up add that to his submission skills and it makes him highly dangerous, people make the arguement that huerta is too explosive for him but what about joe lauzon he is explsive and kenny took him out so i predict kenny by submission in the first
Twenty20Dollars
7/15/08 3:40:34PM
huerta is better wrestler, a bigger 155er so kenny wont have the best chance at getting huerta down.

but huerta needs to call out bj penn, so that if huerta beats florian then he wants to get a crack at the title and bj will be at 170. so im sure huerta or florian want that crack at the 155 title soon.
holt8081
7/15/08 3:41:21PM
Ya bj has 1 more fight before he goes anyware else and that will be against Kenflo
StriderXero
7/15/08 3:52:22PM
Not sure why but I see Ken Flo getting his nose broken in the Huerta fight, or Penn fight. Just speculation.
Pookie
7/15/08 3:58:30PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

huerta is better wrestler, a bigger 155er so kenny wont have the best chance at getting huerta down.

Guida could make 145 and he took huerta down over, and over, and over again with ease.
cheesy-maggot
7/15/08 4:52:34PM

Posted by Pookie

Guida could make 145 and he took huerta down over, and over, and over again with ease.

Yes but Kenny isn't as good a wrestler as Guida, and Huerta is a better wrestler than Kenny.
Pookie
7/15/08 4:53:48PM

Posted by cheesy-maggot

Posted by Pookie

Yes but Kenny isn't as good a wrestler as Guida, and Huerta is a better wrestler than Kenny.

Is he? when has huerta showcased his wrestling skills?
jakeiceman
7/15/08 5:13:10PM
Easy pick. Florian is going to dominate this fight. His striking- especially his kicks have looked absolutely sick lately. He will knock Huerta around on the feet and then will take him down and after some pounding there will sub him easily.