roger huerta...future of LW division???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » roger huerta...future of LW division???
Next Page »
TheHitmanTL
7/5/07 3:11:51PM
man i love seeing this guy fight. he i so well rounded and i think eventually he will get a run at the title...i think he puts up a good fight against sherk....or even franca. id like to see him fight bj though i think thatll be a really awesome fight...tell me what you think?
DevonFoxy
7/5/07 3:21:14PM
Huerta is very exciting to watch i was kinda worried about him in his last fight tho. He seemed to show sum weakness and in the future it can be exposed i believe. Sherk would tear him apart i think so maybe in the future he can be the champ but i don't think hell be able to take Sherk if Sherk has the belt or not. Future though i think were looking at Joe Lauzon and perhaps Diaz and Manny if he keeps his shoulder in check. Cole Miller is also a name that sticks out to me. I know it sounds like im playing TUF card here but those guys are going to be the future of this division IMO but Huerta is right with them. Great division with a bunch of great fighters and prolly the most exciting division to watch IMO.
Mastodon2
7/5/07 3:46:06PM
Huerta is good no doubt about it, but I dont think he could hang with Franca or Sherk, they are both too strong for him, I think Sherk could take him down and GnP him easily, and Franca could probably sub him.

I also think that Lauzon, Manny and Nate could all beat him too, I know they are all TUFers but those 3 guys are all serious talent.

If Gomi comes to UFC (inevitable imo) then he would destroy Huerta, he is like Huerta, except better at everything. Gomi will be champ if he comes.

Huerta is still good though, and has many years ahead of him. Im glad UFC are showing his fights and putting him on cards recently, the guy puts on a real show!
fedorwins1
7/5/07 4:25:45PM
He's good, but not great. Anyone in the top 10 would destroy him.
Naturaldisaster
7/5/07 4:45:38PM
Huerta is a great fighter IMO. but he's still not ready for the top LW fighters in the ufc. I see him being a gatekeeper for a while. But eventually I think he'll be one of ufc's main lightweights
AmericanFighterAce
7/5/07 5:05:53PM
Future of the LW division? Maybe.
I think people like Alvin Robinson, KenFlo, Sherk, Tyson Griffin, Joe Daddy are going to carry this division and I think Roger has to get stronger before he can be known as the top 5 lightweight.
I would love to see Roger drop to 145 and go to WEC and fight Urijah Faber.
I think Roger would be quicker and better at 145 than at 155, but hey anything can happen in the UFC.
I just think he needs some quality opponents really first to see if he can hang with the big boys.
Ultimate_fighter
7/5/07 5:37:30PM

Posted by TheHitmanTL

man i love seeing this guy fight. he i so well rounded and i think eventually he will get a run at the title...i think he puts up a good fight against sherk....or even franca. id like to see him fight bj though i think thatll be a really awesome fight...tell me what you think?

I think BJ would beat him for sure... His last fight he didn't look great but he pulled off the win. He should get a title shot right away or fight one of the top guys in the LW division.
Metafour
7/5/07 6:07:50PM
I really like Roger Huerta but as far as being the future of the LW division, that is questionable. There is no division in MMA that is more stacked with talented fighters than the 155 lbs weight class. With the Pride acquisations we could see an influx of top fighters in the division and that may make it difficult for Roger to shine.
Naturaldisaster
7/5/07 7:27:25PM

Posted by AmericanFighterAce

I think people like Alvin Robinson, KenFlo, Sherk, Tyson Griffin, Joe Daddy are going to carry this division and I think Roger has to get stronger before he can be known as the top 5 lightweight.
I think Roger would be quicker and better at 145 than at 155, but hey anything can happen in the UFC.
I just think he needs some quality opponents really first to see if he can hang with the big boys.

why would he drop to 145? I say that if its not broken then don't fix it. meaning that he's undefeated in ufc at the LW division. so why would he want to drop weight? maybe if he went on a losing streak but not when he's on a 4 fight winning streak in ufc. that just wouldn't make sense
Aether
7/5/07 8:30:36PM

Posted by fedorwins1

yup, exactly. He's a good fighter, but he's weak from the bottom and I'm pretty confident just about any of the top lightweights with a wrestling background would have no problem GnPing him. I also think his punches are pretty slow, and don't think they have the knockout power to gain him respect from an opponent with a strong chin.
gcraig22
7/5/07 9:17:44PM
He is well-rounded but not great at anything. He needs to work on his submissions and hand-speed.
kerazzle
7/5/07 10:07:35PM
i dunno, he is exciting no doubt but I really dont see him doing well against guys like griffin, guida, sherk, franca, stevenson and many others. It's kind of annoying that the UFC is pushing him so hard while guys like tyson griffin and clay guida are not getting much attention when they are really the future of the division.
Eazee_E
7/6/07 12:30:58AM
I'm a big Huerta fan, but I don't know about being the future. The LW division is just too damn deep right now. Unless BJ is a full-time LW, which I don't think happens. Everyone else seems like they can beat each other on any given night.
elsanto
7/6/07 8:44:38AM

Posted by kerazzle
guys like tyson griffin and clay guida are not getting much attention when they are really the future of the division.

One of these guys, most likely Griffin, will be getting a title shot soon.
xchickox
7/6/07 10:07:16AM
i think huerta is very impressive, he has some stuff to improve but he can be the future, so many fighters who are the future of that division, awesome division
LR
7/6/07 10:17:40AM
He looked pretty bad in his last fight. He really didn't realize he was in trouble till late in the matchup, and I think if someone like Sherk fought him, he's be in trouble from the start if he fought like that again. But hey, BJ Penn is in the LW division right now, and I don't see BJ losing to Huerta either.
jeremygreen
7/6/07 3:28:28PM
I think Sherk would completley dominate Huerta, he is just a monster at light weight and would take Huerta down wiht ease and ground and pound him.
xchickox
7/6/07 3:46:57PM
yeah sherk would destroy him, but then again i think sherk will destroy anyone at that weight at the moment
veritas
7/7/07 4:18:47AM
joe daddy stevenson is more the future imo. i hope to see these two fight soon. can u imagine a sherk vs penn match, intense!!! huerta would get annihilated by sherk or penn, and stevenson, and about a dozen other better LWs. huertas good and may be the future, distant future, of the sport, but not for awhile. still entertaining as f%$k to watch though, no doubt
AmericanFighterAce
7/7/07 7:47:40PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Posted by AmericanFighterAce

why would he drop to 145? I say that if its not broken then don't fix it. meaning that he's undefeated in ufc at the LW division. so why would he want to drop weight? maybe if he went on a losing streak but not when he's on a 4 fight winning streak in ufc. that just wouldn't make sense

He wouldnt drop to 145 but I would like to see him drop to 145 because right now I do not think he can hang with the big boys, even though he has defeated every opponent in the octagon I just dont see him being a top notch fighter. I dont want to see him drop to 145 right now, I am just saying if he did drop to 145 I think he could be UNSTOPPABLE, I just think the 155 pound division might just be a little bit too much for Roger.
Damien6663
7/7/07 8:28:06PM
No Huerta is not, he is an exciting figher but does not have the ability or the skil set.

If you wana talk about prospects check out thiago. He is a young kid with the whole package.
Damien6663
7/7/07 8:34:14PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Huerta is very exciting to watch i was kinda worried about him in his last fight tho. He seemed to show sum weakness and in the future it can be exposed i believe. Sherk would tear him apart i think so maybe in the future he can be the champ but i don't think hell be able to take Sherk if Sherk has the belt or not. Future though i think were looking at Joe Lauzon and perhaps Diaz and Manny if he keeps his shoulder in check. Cole Miller is also a name that sticks out to me. I know it sounds like im playing TUF card here but those guys are going to be the future of this division IMO but Huerta is right with them. Great division with a bunch of great fighters and prolly the most exciting division to watch IMO.

ehhhh i think diaz and corey hill are actually thie bgiiest prospects from the tuf show. Many fighs with tons of heart and intensity but doesnt really bring anything to the table other then takedowns and some weak gnp.

Lauzon, i thought he was a beast with his first 2 fights but think i have a better grasp on him after the melendez and manny fight. his striking is not very good, and he has shown he can be muscled to the ground because of only above average wrestking. His game shines with his gnp, but he will struggle against the top wrestlers at 155. Also does not have a very lethal guard.

Miller-Great guard player and seems to have improbed his striking but lack of takedown ability and still struggling standup game will be his downfall.

Diaz-has all the skills except takedown defense, his striking is not as good as nick diaz, but with work he could be in the hunt at 155.

Corey hil-i love this kids potential give him 3 years and you are looking at a beast, he has good instincts on his feet, and is a college wrestler, with some jiu jitsu and polished striking he can be a stud.
Damien6663
7/7/07 8:36:18PM
oh i also think tyson griffin will be a contender adventually, and want to see frank edgar fight again.

off topic but it would not surprise me if din thomas gets a title shot soon.
leeman
7/8/07 4:09:52AM
yeh like wut prety much everyone else said huerta is a young talented exciting fighter but isnt ready for the upper echeclon 155. I think griffin gets a fight against one of the better 155's (example stevenson) and if he wins he gets a title shot. Or who knows mabe faber mans up and moves to 155 for a rematch with griffin.. that wud be exciting
Vokes
7/8/07 6:33:12PM
Huerta is impressive but needs a lot more work/experience.
I'd give him a year or two before he actually becomes a threat to the LW division.
leeman
7/8/07 6:39:35PM
lol mabe if he wins the title then lightweight title fights wont consist of guys laying on their opponents for 5 rounds....
Rush
7/8/07 6:42:02PM

Posted by fedorwins1

I don't know about the top ten, but yeah, there are a bunch of fighters that can dispatch Huerta.

Huerta is pretty exciting to watch, but I don't care for him. I think he's in love with himself too much. He's someone I like watching fight, but want to see him lose every time.
Kastro
7/8/07 7:21:33PM

Posted by xchickox

i think huerta is very impressive, he has some stuff to improve but he can be the future, so many fighters who are the future of that division, awesome division

Huerta's got a huge heart for fighting, great cardio, good stand-up, my only complaint is his lack of defense..

In the Garcia fight they both just traded blows, pretty much forgetting about defense.. Dont get me wrong, its nice to see a slugfest, but sooner or later you are going to get caught with something..

Huerta's always exciting to watch, he's so quick and explosive, I dont know how he could stop someone like Sherk from taking him down though..
fizz
7/9/07 11:17:50AM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Thats the dumbmess thing i eard in years......all the tuf guys exept manny would of got KTFO by huerta and you really cant put him in the same place than Nath Diaz......I think Roger Huerta his at the Joe Stevenson,Marcus aurelio,Tyson Griffin,Kenny florian level he dosnt belong with the TUF NOOBs...end of thread!
Dadaman
7/9/07 12:05:27PM
Roger Huerta is a good fighter who still has a lot of weaknesses. A relative newcomer to the sport Doug Evans tooled him on the ground and won the first round and imo was winning the second round at UFN 10. Roger has some work to do before he steps up to guys like Sherk, Franca and Bj.

I think Huerta will get a real test his next fight. Throw him against Kenflo or Joe Daddy to see where he stands.

edit: and to the guy who posted before me, Joe Stevenson was a TUF fighter also. Not all TUF fighters are complete B level fighters. Joe Lauzon is the future of this division. He's got the height and he's got the power. Give him Sherk RIGHT NOW and he'd take him no doubt.
Pages: [1] 2