i am retarded 11% (5)
peachfuzzz1305
7/30/07 9:59:53PM
Is it just me or is the UFC babying Roger by giving him these lolly pop fights

look at the fights they gave him Leonard Garcia , Doug Evans and Crane

do u guys agree with me
k_lup07
7/30/07 10:03:07PM
he needs to get knocked out. id love to see him fight someone more 'known' and see how he performs. imo he seems overrated
peachfuzzz1305
7/30/07 10:04:02PM
peachfuzzz1305
7/30/07 10:06:14PM
He also faught Dent and Halverson /

the-james
7/30/07 10:26:36PM
There is no question he sould be fighting thouger competition, but the ufc is trying to build him up for the for the mexican audience for a possible expansion into mexico and i dont really blame they need a spanish fighter for them to cheer for like Britain has BIsping has Canada has GSp but my question os why dont they sign Gilbert Melendez and use him as the poster boy hes Already the number three lightweight in the world for god sake.
peachfuzzz1305
7/30/07 10:27:44PM
YEAH GILBERT WOULD TAKE THE UFC TITLE
the-james
7/30/07 10:29:38PM

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

YEAH GILBERT WOULD TAKE THE UFC TITLE

Exactly !!! Its the perfect fit Melendez vs who ever the champ is next year (BJ PENN) for the title in mexico.
JuggaloWarrior878
7/31/07 12:23:34AM
Of course he should be fighting tougher guys. who wants to see roger huerta vs a no name on the main card of ufc 74 when u could see any of the 4 undercard fights with already cemented good fighters
peachfuzzz1305
7/31/07 12:46:21AM
But I do not think Gil could beat BJ
Btews22
7/31/07 1:08:05AM
Who has $ on the money line taking +900 on crane, I have not seen or heard much on this fighter but if he has a strikers chance those are attractive numbers!!! I saw Huerta's last fight and was not impressed and I thought he might of lost the first round on some cards. I believe he has been hyped up because of the SI cover that should have gone to one of the fighters in the main event!!!!!

War CroCop VS Big Nog II
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Scott_Revels
7/31/07 2:30:04AM
In essence, I think it started out to be babying, but now he's turned into the guy the UFC brings in to make stars out of newcomers. I said in another post that without Huerta's stardom, guys like Garcia, and Evans wouldn't be as big as they are now. I am personally counting the days until either guy gets another fight in the UFC. The fact that Evans won the first round, shows that there isn't any babying going on. Now, not having seen what Crane can do, I am set to the fact that, I think he could be the next Garcia or Evans. I don't believe that it's babying, but more of a keeping him somewhat safe until there is a need for a big money making PPV, where he would then headline with the LW Champ.
SteedTheDeed
7/31/07 2:50:19AM
he doesn't deserve a title shot going down this road
Aries2343
7/31/07 10:34:18AM
If Nick stays in the lightweight I think that Nick Diez should face Huerta
Mastodon2
7/31/07 1:01:02PM
I'd like to see him fighting some tougher fighters, It just annoys me when fighters get fed can after can to build them up. He would improve quicker by fighting tougher fighters too; you learn more from a loss to a good fighter than you do from a win over a bum!
MartinKillMcGill
7/31/07 3:14:27PM
I would love to see him fight tyson griffin our fisher
JWils
7/31/07 5:56:11PM

Posted by Mastodon2

I'd like to see him fighting some tougher fighters, It just annoys me when fighters get fed can after can to build them up. He would improve quicker by fighting tougher fighters too; you learn more from a loss to a good fighter than you do from a win over a bum!

I like how many people feel that guys are "bums" just because they haven't fought in the UFC before. Who knew who Huerta was before he faught Garcia?

There is so much competition in the UFC now, not everyone will win 2 fights and be able to fight for the title or get a fight against a top level fighter.

I say let's just sit back and enjoy the fights and let things work themselves out. If he's the real deal, his "tough" opponents will come.

Don't hate on the guy just because some photographer took a photo and his boss decided it was the coolest picture to put on the cover of a magazine.

iwannabesedated
7/31/07 6:17:10PM
Its not His fault.He doesnt pick and choose who he fights.So you cant blame him.
pv3Hpv3p
7/31/07 6:21:17PM
I think it's just plain stupid that Dana would say that he won't make the same mistakes as the "evil boxing promoters" and would protect a fighter like this. That's one of the worst aspects of boxing, padding records and showing completely uncompelling fights...

Damn shame, IMO... Although the Garcia fight was

Oh, I think he should fight Frankie Edgar
SpiderSilva
7/31/07 7:00:07PM
In Huerta is the future end of story
Northrend
7/31/07 7:28:45PM
He absolutely needs tougher fights. He has had 3-4 fights with non-top 15 guys and is on the maincard over Guida/Aurelio and Babalu. Guida/Griffin are both fighting tough fights but yet again Huerta gets another can. If his next fight isn't with someone that is top 10 in the UFC it is obvious they are protecting him (which I believe they are now actually)
Pitbull09
7/31/07 7:46:00PM
He needs to step up big time, Even the Ultimate fighter 5 roster would be a good step up. Give him either nate diaz or kenny florian (kenny would be a #1 contender fight)
pjs2496
7/31/07 11:53:47PM
What about him against joe stevenson?
mikevolz
8/1/07 12:11:15AM
huerta hasnt fought a guy in the ufc who has had a win in the ufc at the time they have fought.

crane has a good record vs sub-par competition (sub .500 record) and ended most of them by submission.

what im hoping is that huerta destroys crane, and then they put him against a real fighter (frank edgar, tyson griffin, or spencer fischer) and because of his hype they give him the over dog. ill make a lot of money off that day.
the-james
8/1/07 12:32:21AM
I love how more people have voted im retarded than he souldnt fave thougher competition
Mastodon2
8/1/07 7:13:52AM

Posted by JWils

I like how many people feel that guys are "bums" just because they haven't fought in the UFC before. Who knew who Huerta was before he faught Garcia?

Even if Huerta is fighting debuting fighters, they aren't great competition, and he most likely won't keep on fighting newcomers, but I doubt UFC is going to put him up against anyone who could really give him a tough time, because UFC most likely want to protect him, to make him into someone that the Latin demographic can really get behind. In the mean time, it just makes for boring fights, because even in Huerta's last fight, when he started to look a little exposed, it still wasnt as good as say, Huerta vs Fisher or Huerta versus Griffin could have been.

I know that Huerta, at least for his first few fights, needed to fight low level competition, just like most other newcomers, he couldnt just step right in against the best, but I hope UFC doesnt make a habit of keeping him on easier fights.
JWils
8/1/07 9:08:10AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by JWils

Even if Huerta is fighting debuting fighters, they aren't great competition, and he most likely won't keep on fighting newcomers, but I doubt UFC is going to put him up against anyone who could really give him a tough time, because UFC most likely want to protect him, to make him into someone that the Latin demographic can really get behind. In the mean time, it just makes for boring fights, because even in Huerta's last fight, when he started to look a little exposed, it still wasnt as good as say, Huerta vs Fisher or Huerta versus Griffin could have been.

I know that Huerta, at least for his first few fights, needed to fight low level competition, just like most other newcomers, he couldnt just step right in against the best, but I hope UFC doesnt make a habit of keeping him on easier fights.

Fair enough. I will agree with you on this one if he beats Crane and then fights another UFC newcomer.
mrlfromhell
8/1/07 12:50:23PM
He is probably getting easy oppenents because he is an entertaining fighter and the ufc dosent want to see him lose
scoozna
8/1/07 1:18:07PM

Posted by the-james

There is no question he sould be fighting thouger competition, but the ufc is trying to build him up for the for the mexican audience for a possible expansion into mexico and i dont really blame they need a spanish fighter for them to cheer fo

That's a bold claim, and insulting to huerta if untrue. Do you have a link to support this?
Aether
8/1/07 1:55:49PM
I actually agree with that statement, I remember reading an interview with Dana where he mentioned reaching out to the hispanic community and mentioning garcia and huerta specifically. Whether he's actually getting babied or just being used to test newcomers is up in the air, but it is true that he's being used as a poster-boy for the hispanic mma community. Any promoter loves a marketable product, huerta is one of very few fighters whose face has not been mangled with massive cauliflower ears, he's hispanic, and he's undefeated.

He's good and pretty well-rounded but he's not nearly as good as people make him out to be IMO. I think against someone like Nick Diaz or BJ Penn he would get completely crushed.
chickmagnet
8/1/07 2:38:27PM
put him up against frankie edgar, thats a evenly match fight or another good fight for him would be Kenflo (that would be a great fight)
Pages: [1] 2