Roger Gracie Off 8/15 Strikeforce Event

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Roger Gracie Off 8/15 Strikeforce Event
DCRage
7/16/09 11:53:10AM
Despite recent reports to the contrary, Roger Gracie recently announced he is off the 8/15 Strikeforce event that was to have been his US debut. A recent report from GracieMag says Gracie has been unable to rest and train due to caring for his 3-year-old son. SF says they hoped to have Gracie on the event but bout agreements were never in place.

Article
Shawn91111
7/16/09 11:57:33AM
he has 55,000 family members, one cant watch the kid?
BarryScott
7/16/09 1:00:39PM
He's all for telling everyone he'd beat Fedor n Brock but when it comes to fighting he suddenly can't because of his kid
Rush
7/16/09 1:35:57PM
I am sur ethe Gracies have enough $$$ that fighting for money is not an issue as far as living is concerned. As a new father myself (14 month old son) I can totally relate to how a child changes your priorities in life. I do hope we see him fight again soon. I think he has so much potential.
gartface
7/16/09 7:10:22PM
Do I have to go to London and look after his kid? I want to see this guy fight regularly so bad. I can't wait until he gets on a roll and finds his way into the UFC Heavyweight Division.
KUTTER
7/17/09 9:13:39AM
If it would have read 3 month old I would have totally respected that..But 3 years old? Sounds like a cop out to me.He def has potential,but if he was dedicated he would have known wether training been issue.I mean im guessing when talks of event came up kid then 2? So what changed from to 2 to 3, got some new teeth? Still diapers and baby buisness.I think he scared to blemmish that Gracie name.
Jackelope
7/17/09 9:40:55AM
Definitely a bad move by Roger depending on the circumstances. The Gracie name is becoming a complete joke amongst MMA fans, and that's a sad day.
Rush
7/17/09 10:35:40AM
And what if his 3 year old son has a problem or is sick? I think it's lame that anyone is trashing on the guy because his family is more important to him that a fight.
Jackelope
7/17/09 10:37:21AM

Posted by Rush

And what if his 3 year old son has a problem or is sick? I think it's lame that anyone is trashing on the guy because his family is more important to him that a fight.

Which is why I said depending on the circumstances.

Rush
7/17/09 10:40:41AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Rush

I know. I worded it accordingly so that it was directed towards people that thought it. They all know who they are whether they posted on the thread or not.
Jackelope
7/17/09 10:48:17AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Rush

I know. I worded it accordingly so that it was directed towards people that thought it. They all know who they are whether they posted on the thread or not.

Alright, just wanted to clear that up. Family definitely comes first in those situations. I just hate to see the most legitimate new-age Gracie product rope-a-doping around with fights and losing the Gracie family respect in the process
emfleek
7/17/09 11:46:40AM

Posted by KUTTER

If it would have read 3 month old I would have totally respected that..But 3 years old?

From what I've gathered, the article quoted above is innaccurate. His son is actually 3 WEEKS old.

Roger Gracie puts Strikeforce debut on hold to care for son

One of the best heavyweight submission fighters in the world, Roger Gracie has put his Strikeforce debut on hold in order to care for his three week old son.

Gracie posted the news on his Twitter page, saying he had been too busy to rest and train for the upcoming card on August 15th.

Gracie is undefeated at 2-0 in his MMA career and fans can expect him to feature before the year is out despite this late omission.

By Michael Pepper.

Original source: MMAJunkie.com

Totally acceptable, no matter who you are.
Jackelope
7/17/09 6:31:32PM
Good call Fleek I read the posts and then I read the article.. totally skipped over that without even realizing it