Roger Gracie signed with Strikeforce?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Roger Gracie signed with Strikeforce?
emfleek
12/22/09 1:00:38PM
How did I miss that? That's what his Wikipedia* page says...

* I know, I know...
jiujitsufreak74
12/22/09 1:06:32PM
i knew they have been working on a contract for several months, but i didn't hear anything about strikeforce actually signing him,

i know he was supposed to fight for strikeforce in august and november but he never pulled through. maybe that's what the wikipedia article is referencing.
emfleek
12/22/09 1:08:20PM

Roger Gracie recently announced at the December 19th, 2009 Strikeforce Evolution show that he had signed a contract with Strikeforce to make his America MMA debut. It is not currently known when or who he will fight.
karn501
12/22/09 1:10:45PM
crazy you getting worried yet dana
jae_1833
12/22/09 4:02:08PM
Yes sir he did in fact sign with SF....here's video evidence.
MMANews.com
warglory
12/22/09 9:18:03PM

Posted by karn501

I highly doubt Dana is that interested in Roger. Despite having a stellar record in ADCC, the dude has had only two MMA fights against an aging low level heavyweight in Ron Waterman, and a much smaller Yuki Kondo.Roger needs to be tested against legit opponents.
emfleek
12/22/09 9:20:05PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by karn501

I highly doubt Dana is that interested in Roger. Despite having a stellar record in ADCC, the dude has had only two MMA fights against an aging low level heavyweight in Ron Waterman, and a much smaller Yuki Kondo.Roger needs to be tested against legit opponents.

Not to mention he hasn't fought since May '08 and his only fight before that was in December of '06. I don't think he'd make many waves in the UFC at this point.
karn501
12/22/09 11:55:14PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by warglory

Posted by karn501

Not to mention he hasn't fought since May '08 and his only fight before that was in December of '06. I don't think he'd make many waves in the UFC at this point.

I mean the fact that every day sf signs another big name and in my defense who has kimbo beat???
emfleek
12/23/09 8:28:15AM

Posted by karn501

I mean the fact that every day sf signs another big name and in my defense who has kimbo beat???

Bo Cantrell
James Thompson
Tank Abbott
Houston Alexander
Ray Mercer (exhibition)

Those are much more notable than Ron Waterman and a Roast Beef Sandwich.*

Kimbo brings the ratings*. Gracie does not.

* Which will ALWAYS be the exception to the rule.
jiujitsufreak74
12/23/09 11:05:10AM

Posted by emfleek

exactly...a la Brock Lesnar
karn501
12/23/09 11:18:03AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by karn501

Bo Cantrell
James Thompson
Tank Abbott
Houston Alexander
Ray Mercer (exhibition)

Those are much more notable than Ron Waterman and a Roast Beef Sandwich.*

Kimbo brings the ratings*. Gracie does not.

but kimbo also got ko'ed by someone 29 lbs smaller than him theres no doubt that kimbo is a money bringer but sf just keeps getting more and more fighters im not saying dana should be worried about sf signing roger im saying he should be worried that there roster keeps growing pretty much every day. didnt kimbo lose to sean gannon in an exhibition too?plus dana made imo one of the biggest mistakes in ufc history by letting go of the only person in a long time to make anderson silva look human in hendo and now sf has him sf is slowly but surely creeping up on the ufc
emfleek
12/23/09 11:24:13AM

Posted by karn501

now sf has him sf is slowly but surely creeping up on the ufc

Let's see how often Strikeforce puts on shows, how much money they make from those shows, and how much money they end up paying these fighters they're signing before we make any assumption that Strikeforce is creeping up on the UFC. At this point, they're *still* the UFL and the UFC is the NFL. I hope that changes, but that's just the way it is right now.

The fact is...if Dana wanted Roger, he would have him. Bottom line. He's hoping that Strikeforce digs their own grave. They keep signing these guys and giving them nice contracts/bonuses/whatever...but what kind of money are they bringing in to be able to sustain at their current rate? We don't know yet.
karn501
12/23/09 11:28:34AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by karn501

now sf has him sf is slowly but surely creeping up on the ufc

Let's see how often Strikeforce puts on shows, how much money they make from those shows, and how much money they end up paying these fighters they're signing before we make any assumption that Strikeforce is creeping up on the UFC. At this point, they're *still* the UFL and the UFC is the NFL. I hope that changes, but that's just the way it is right now.

The fact is...if Dana wanted Roger, he would have him. Bottom line. He's hoping that Strikeforce digs their own grave. They keep signing these guys and giving them nice contracts/bonuses/whatever...but what kind of money are they bringing in to be able to sustain at their current rate? We don't know yet.

this is true but i can dream cant I I'm just tired of the ufc's monopoly on mma. Don't get me wrong I love the UFC but it's nice to see other organizations doing well also imo
fullerene
12/23/09 8:31:39PM
Glad to see Roger get more exposure.

As for Dana/Zuffa being worried--there have been plenty of orgs that have signed notable fighters--Pride, WFA, Bodog, EliteXC, Affliction. There haven't been as many who have been able to make enough money to stay afloat. I hope Strikeforce bucks the trend, but they need to make good business decisions, not just impressive signings, if they're going to compete with the UFC. So far, so good (I think).