Rogan and Yamasaki

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Rogan and Yamasaki
Next Page »
TeamDEY
1/15/12 10:58:23AM
OK I know this has been discussed, but I cannot believe Rogan actually interviewed the ref. I know a lot of people are glad it happened but I don't think this should ever be done. Putting Yamasaki on the spot and talking to him was foolish in my opinion. What ya'll think of it?
Lesnar1
1/15/12 11:02:13AM
I didn't mind it, haha I don't think they have ever done that with a ref before.
Kpro
1/15/12 11:10:14AM
colemillerATT: Can’t believe Yamasaki got put on blast like that. Yikes

MackDaMenaceMMA: That’s some unprofessional shit. You never put the ref on the spot like that. Mario makes real time decisions. Not slow-mo calls

NateRockQuarry: Rogan calling out the ref! Wow! Keepin it real!

DUANEBANGCOM: @joerogan DOES NOT BULL SHIT HUH?!

JoeLauzon: @martinmcneil bad move by Joe… Ref should be an authority figure, not someone to attack
Lesnar1
1/15/12 11:14:43AM
I think everybody at one point or another has screamed profanitys at the tv or wanted to tell the ref how stupid of a call that was, Rogan did that (minus the profanity) and i salute him for it. That being said being a ref is a very hard job, split second decisions have to be made for the fighters safety.
Budgellism
1/15/12 11:15:12AM
There's going to be mixed opinions but it was a shitty call and I'm glad he did it. The sport needs to be able to use replays to make calls. Silva was completely screwed out of a win.
State_Champ
1/15/12 11:27:13AM
I think Refs need to be held to task.
Refs are important authority figures in the cage, thus they need to be monitored and questioned as to how responsibly they are using their power.
It's Yamasaki's job to ref the fight properly. Why can't his performance be discussed? Yamasaki altered the course of the fight, and an explanation of why this happened is the least he could do for the viewers, fighters, and company.

EDIT: Nicely done, Rogan
Rabi
1/15/12 11:28:54AM
I agree with you Budge, the ref fucked up and he paid the price! I liked the fact Rogan called him out on the decision!
warglory
1/15/12 11:29:08AM
Shitty call or not, it was the ref's call to make. No one saw or heard what the ref experienced. Rogan acted incredibly unprofessional in there.
grappler0000
1/15/12 11:49:16AM
I'll admit, at the time, I was a little worried for Yamasaki's safety when it was going down. It's nice to see a ref be accountable for his/her actions though. I know they have a tough job, but there was no excuse for what happened. Also, I'm not a fan of the commissions being unwilling to admit when they are wrong. So, if they won't do it, that was the next best thing IMO. When the commission is the judge, jury, and executioner, the only option for refs/judges is being tried in the court of public opinion...and this put that trial front and center, where it needed to be. If not, this would just be swept under the rug like the rest of them.
Budgellism
1/15/12 11:59:25AM
If you want to be a ref then do your job properly. I don't care if Rogan was unprofessional about it. The refs need to be accountable. In almost any career in the world if you screw up something like that you're going to pay for it. And in the last two mma events I've watched I've seen several signs that the ref's have no idea what they're doing in there. Between Winslow, Yamasaki and Miragliotta I want to start ripping my hair out.

In a not so wealthy organization Silva would have been screwed out of half the pay he earned and that would be entirely the ref's fault. These guys are fighting for their lives, for their well being. The least we can do is use a ref or a judge that actually knows what they're doing. If we just sit back and accept it things won't get changed.
Kpro
1/15/12 12:01:38PM
It was a horrible call and method of getting to it but putting the ref on blast is obviously unprofessional. The UFC picked the refs and Dana has been outspoken about not liking Mario, but Mario was there because he speaks Portuguese. So if he says he was warning Silva multiple times before he stopped it, it was in Silva's language. Mario's handling of from the point he stopped the fight to when the fight result was announced though did not follow any sort of DQ guidelines that all refs know, especially a veteran like Mario. To call a DQ you need to have the medical staff check on the fighter and see if he can continue, give him time to recover, etc, etc and Mario just waved it off and called DQ so I'm glad Rogan called him out. The failure to follow established basic MMA referee protocol for a DQ was much more unprofessional than what Rogan did. But neither was in the right at all.

And for the record, Prater said post fight that the knee is what did him in.
grappler0000
1/15/12 12:27:08PM

Posted by Kpro

It was a horrible call and method of getting to it but putting the ref on blast is obviously unprofessional. The UFC picked the refs and Dana has been outspoken about not liking Mario, but Mario was there because he speaks Portuguese. So if he says he was warning Silva multiple times before he stopped it, it was in Silva's language. Mario's handling of from the point he stopped the fight to when the fight result was announced though did not follow any sort of DQ guidelines that all refs know, especially a veteran like Mario. To call a DQ you need to have the medical staff check on the fighter and see if he can continue, give him time to recover, etc, etc and Mario just waved it off and called DQ so I'm glad Rogan called him out. The failure to follow established basic MMA referee protocol for a DQ was much more unprofessional than what Rogan did. But neither was in the right at all.

And for the record, Prater said post fight that the knee is what did him in.

I agree. It may have been unprofessional, but it was a means to an end. I am 99% certain though that Nevada selected the refs. That's the way it generally works for the foreign cards. Zuffa never requests particular ref/judges, as it would be a conflict of interest.
tn_rebel
1/15/12 12:27:46PM
I like that he called out Yamasaki. Joe obviously cares about the integrity of the sport and the fans did deserve an explanation after such a horrible call. The integrity of the sport means more than some foolish refs pride. This was one of the worst calls i have seen and the ref that made the call should be held accountable.
scoozna
1/15/12 1:03:37PM
I don't think he should have taken him to task right then and there. Rogan will have plenty of opportunity to criticize Mario, and any other referee, whether it be on Twitter, on his blog, talking to fans, doing interviews, or during subsequent broadcasts.

I feel that by interviewing him right then and there, it begins the process of undermining the ref's authority in the cage. The last thing we want is fighters catching on to this and thinking they can ignore the ref's instructions or judgements.
Franklinfan47
1/15/12 1:11:26PM
Personally, I always hear fans complaining about officials being held accountable for bad calls. Well, Joe tried to make him accountable by putting him on blast.

Well done Rogan
KungFuMaster
1/15/12 1:14:39PM
First of all, I happen to think it was a bad call by Mario. However, whether Mario was right or wrong, it was very unprofessional of Rogan to literally question Mario and roast him in front of a live audience. And for Rogan, it was very unbecoming of a professional sports commentator.

Rogan over-stepped his boundaries here. There is a time a place for what he did and that was definitely not the appropriate time. Players and coaches will always contest referees' decisions, but as a commentator, Rogan needs to know his role.

Rogan can question the call behind the booth. He can disagree with the call, but what he should not do - is confront the ref himself. That - was disgusting to watch.
KungFuMaster
1/15/12 1:21:52PM

Posted by scoozna

I don't think he should have taken him to task right then and there. Rogan will have plenty of opportunity to criticize Mario, and any other referee, whether it be on Twitter, on his blog, talking to fans, doing interviews, or during subsequent broadcasts.

I feel that by interviewing him right then and there, it begins the process of undermining the ref's authority in the cage. The last thing we want is fighters catching on to this and thinking they can ignore the ref's instructions or judgements.

I missed your post. Had I read it first, I would have just quoted it and give you a thumbs up instead of writing my piece......
Poor_Franklin
1/15/12 1:38:40PM
iu think officials should be held accountable, but it couldve waited until the post-fight presser
KungFuMaster
1/15/12 1:43:29PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

iu think officials should be held accountable, but it couldve waited until the post-fight presser

I completely agree. I actually want officials to be held accountable for their decisions - just not in the manner and timing in which Rogan did it.
tn_rebel
1/15/12 1:47:16PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Poor_Franklin

I completely agree. I actually want officials to be held accountable for their decisions - just not in the manner and timing in which Rogan did it.

So you would rather hear an official statement that someone probably wrote for him rather than a real explanation immediately following the mistake?
KungFuMaster
1/15/12 1:51:22PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Poor_Franklin

So you would rather hear an official statement that someone probably wrote for him rather than a real explanation immediately following the mistake?

I'll refer you to Scoonza's post. I think his post says it best.
Poor_Franklin
1/15/12 2:02:28PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I'll refer you to Scoonza's post. I think his post says it best.

in case he's lazy

Posted by scoozna

State_Champ
1/15/12 2:02:53PM

Posted by scoozna

I feel that by interviewing him right then and there, it begins the process of undermining the ref's authority in the cage.The last thing we want is fighters catching on to this and thinking they can ignore the ref's instructions or judgements.

That seems like a bit of a jump.
How do you figure this goes from Rogan interviewing Yamasaki to fighters ignoring the referee (forget that fact that some fighters already have ignored referees by holding subs too long ect...)?
tn_rebel
1/15/12 2:12:46PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by scoozna

I feel that by interviewing him right then and there, it begins the process of undermining the ref's authority in the cage.The last thing we want is fighters catching on to this and thinking they can ignore the ref's instructions or judgements.

That seems like a bit of a jump.
How do you figure this goes from Rogan interviewing Yamasaki to fighters ignoring the referee (forget that fact that some fighters already have ignored referees by holding subs too long ect...)?

I agree. Assuming that fighters will stop listening to the refs because 1 was held accountable for a bad decision is a bit of a stretch. Ask Paul Daley how long a fighter lasts in the UFC if they ignore the officials.
Poor_Franklin
1/15/12 2:20:19PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Ask Paul Daley how long a fighter lasts in the UFC if they ignore the officials.

i would, but i ditched him when he got cut by the ufc. i only hang out w/ professionals
mrsmiley
1/15/12 2:47:24PM
I 100% agree with what Joe did. I think Joe did what a lot of us fans have wanted to do in the past.
I don't think it was as bad as it seemed either. I mean Joe didn't get in his face and push him and ask him what his problem was or anything. I actually loved the fact Joe went over how many of those punches where actually to the back during the replay as well.

And to Joe's credit, he never came out and said Mario is a terrible referee. He acredited Yamasaki as being a good ref who he believed made a bad call.

I do believe their needs to be professionalism from the announcers but they can't be fake either. If their is a point to contend I hope the announcers would be the first to question and not just glance over it.
warglory
1/15/12 3:11:05PM
You know what, after watching that fight again and reviewing the slow mo towards the end, I can totally see how Yamasaki made that call. Those were not clear shots to the side of the head, they were hammerfists landing in the grey zone between the side and the back, along with forearm strikes that were clearly landing towards the back of the head. Since Prater was likely unable to continue due to his shoulder injury (at least that's what it looked like), the 5 minute time out was probably ignored.

I was initially against Yamasaki on this, but I think it was a fair call now, especially if what Yamasaki said is true, that he was letting Silva know in Portuguese not to hit the back of the head.

Kpro
1/15/12 3:20:56PM
Also there is no defnition of back of the head. Some refs interpret behind the ears all the way around and some interpret as the "mohawk" method of deciding what's the back of the head. As always, the rules are vague, and open for each refs interpretation.
grappler0000
1/15/12 3:56:58PM

Posted by warglory

You know what, after watching that fight again and reviewing the slow mo towards the end, I can totally see how Yamasaki made that call. Those were not clear shots to the side of the head, they were hammerfists landing in the grey zone between the side and the back, along with forearm strikes that were clearly landing towards the back of the head. Since Prater was likely unable to continue due to his shoulder injury (at least that's what it looked like), the 5 minute time out was probably ignored.

I was initially against Yamasaki on this, but I think it was a fair call now, especially if what Yamasaki said is true, that he was letting Silva know in Portuguese not to hit the back of the head.

Without the benefit of playback, it can be a bit tricky to make the right call at times, but I still have trouble empathizing with Mario. Even if we can forgive him for making a bad judgement call, he still didn't perform due diligence once the fight was stopped. It wasn't the shots to the head that even caused Carlo to not be able to continue...it was a completely separate injury...similar to Jones/Hamill. That's inexcusable.

And although I don't want to see a guy get harmed by a punch to the back, there was nothing different in this fight than what happens at every single event. There have been literally hundreds of fights in the UFC with similar endings, but with much different results. If refs, or even just Mario, treated other fights in the same way, I'd be willing to listen to that argument, but where he decided to draw the line was very inconsistent with fights that he has reffed in the past.

Here is Shogun's finish of Liddell... coincidentally reffed by Yamasaki.

Liddell even cut his hair into a mohawk, to make it easier for Mario to discern.
Pookie
1/15/12 3:59:40PM
I think Erick landed about 4-5 more shots to the back of the head than Shogun did.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4