Rodney King

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Rodney King
RampageOwnedYou
11/12/08 11:38:03PM
This stuff has been going through my mind lately.
I still remember to this day, how powerful the verdict was, and what happened.

To the younger people here, when the jury didnt vote against the cops, riots happened in L.A and had about 30 plus people die, and hundreds of people getting their asses kicked
this was ALL caused by the cops, and they didnt even help these people! 3 Days later the military showed up...too little too late. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYnJiiLGwjY&feature=related

Very ugly...but the thing that blows my mind, is how in the world these jury members couldnt vote the right way. Did they fear for their lives? Well let me ask, wouldnt they fear more after this?
I wonder today if the cops every got what they deserved...

well here is a video from 1 jury members side...makes me wanna puke.

Anyways...Rodney King is the man, and i really feel bad for him.....f those cops!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyklI8Gp4bc&feature=related
higdon10
11/12/08 11:47:25PM
I heard that he is fighting one of the cops that beat him up at some MMA show. Thats terrible if you ask me.
Jackelope
11/13/08 12:05:50AM
The cops were definitely out of line during the Rodney King beating, but let's not paint the guy (Rodney) like he's a hero or anything. He'd done prison time before for assault, robbery, and battery. His battery charge was from beating his own wife while she was sleeping.

Still, it was definitely an iconic moment in time that led to great strides towards ousting corruption from the LAPD.

iwannabesedated
11/13/08 1:14:02AM
He's on that Celebrity Rehab show with Dr.Drew on VH1.That dude can drink,He told his story about that day It was pretty interesting.He also said he was or is going to fight or box one of the cops that beat him.
mentalcase
11/13/08 2:59:56AM

Posted by Jackelope

The cops were definitely out of line during the Rodney King beating, but let's not paint the guy (Rodney) like he's a hero or anything. He'd done prison time before for assault, robbery, and battery. His battery charge was from beating his own wife while she was sleeping.

Still, it was definitely an iconic moment in time that led to great strides towards ousting corruption from the LAPD.

you saved the typeing
Naturaldisaster
11/13/08 3:08:01AM
i've heard alot about him. not sure when it happened, not even sure if i was born lol i'll be 19 on nov 15th. but why did they beat him? I know they had no right to but what was the cause behind all of it? did he run from the cops or did they just do it with for no reason at all?
Jackelope
11/13/08 10:12:18AM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

i've heard alot about him. not sure when it happened, not even sure if i was born lol i'll be 19 on nov 15th. but why did they beat him? I know they had no right to but what was the cause behind all of it? did he run from the cops or did they just do it with for no reason at all?

Yeah he led them on a high speed chase and there were rumors of PCP being found in the cab of his truck
scoozna
11/13/08 11:03:09AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Yeah he led them on a high speed chase and there were rumors of PCP being found in the cab of his truck

...and he appeared to keep trying to get up and resist when they had him on the ground. Of course, the cops didn't let up...
Kracker_Jap
11/13/08 11:14:58AM
Gosh that it was a long time ago but i remember it pretty clearly (The Riots) The King beating was very horrible, but what happened to all the store owners and Reginald Denny, Fidel Lopez was just as horrible and worse in my eyes....

It went from a protest about racial injustice......

Into violent display of humanity at its worse

6 days of BullSh*t
roadking95th
11/13/08 3:27:37PM
I remember watching this on TV. Both sides were at fault, but more blame has to be put on the police as they should be held to a higher standard. I agree though, F- LA and their rioting masses. A bunch of animals out of control.

reason for edit:
"A bunch of animals out of control' I'd like to apologize for that part.

There were MANY circumstances that lead up to this point. This was a city burning from within from unemployment, police brutality, immigrants from South America, Mexico, and Korea creating friction with black populations.

I don't know if the whole incident would have been recorded and released, if this would have prevented this from happening. It may have delayed it, but I think it was inevitable.
RampageOwnedYou
11/13/08 7:05:20PM

and he appeared to keep trying to get up and resist when they had him on the ground. Of course, the cops didn't let up...

What would you do if cops were beating the crap out of you, and not 1 of those cops was trying to put cuffs on you? Just lay there and continue to get a beatdown? You know how bad 1 of those batone (not sure if spelled right) hurts? My dad was a cop, and I used to play with one of those, and just tapping you in the knee hurts like a mo fo. Let alone get a full out lash about 20 times, and kicked by 2 to 3 cops. These cops were WAY out of line, regardless of what he did. If he killed a couple kids, then i wouldnt be so against it. But for a high speed chase and pcp found, big freaking deal!! For his past history, i highly doubt this had any reason.

These cops caused everything that happened in L.A as far as riots go. The funniest part of it all, these cops who caused this, didnt even back up the innocent people who got to feel the wrath of the angry people who did the damage in L.A with riots and destruction on the stores.

Oh well, life goes on, and a part of history I will never forget.

roadking95th
11/13/08 11:16:57PM
Hey man, I am not saying the police weren't at fault, but they weren't the sole cause of the riots.

Back to Rodney. He had a lot to do with his beat down.

"Rodney King had done all of these things before the videotape. He'd resisted the officers, he'd charged the officers, he'd thrown four officers off his back, he'd been shot twice with a stun gun, which keeps most people down. 50,000 volts of electricity each time, it didn't keep him down. This was a case where a great effort was made to take Rodney King into custody without hurting him, believe it or not."

Here is a great link on the subject. Rodney King

I think this is another story that gets portrayed one way and as a single issue. Unfortunately, the riots were not caused by a single incident or by a single entity. It is also unfortunate that the Rodney King incident is portrayed as extreme police brutality when that isn't the whole story.