Robbie Lawler: Ruthless.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Robbie Lawler: Ruthless.
PaleHorse
7/27/08 5:57:25PM
So ruthless that he doesn't know the rules? Not sure, and I'm not even sure if this is right but it sure seemed like he kicked Scott Smith in the head while Smith was down, granted it was right before the fight was going to be stopped anyways, I just keep seeing the refs let these things slide way too much, I can't think of who specifically but I think it was Melvin Manhoef who had a HUGE illegal knee to the back of the head when he was fighting in DREAM, and I'm pretty sure that resulted in the KO, and the ref did nothing. Granted that wasn't the case with the Smith/Lawler fight, Smith was 99.9% likely to get KO'd regardless, and I'm not even sure if it was directly to the head, but it sure looked illegal to me, I'm at work so I can't go back and watch it so I just want to see what everyone else thinks.

I just think its a shame if it was illegal, because it would to me make Lawler look a bit more dirty of a fighter than he appeared to be (a la Nate Marquardt.) When a fighter gets poked in the eye its usually an accident, so I'm not saying that it was on purpose in the first fight, but when you have one fight stopped due to an eye poke and another fight stopped directly after an illegal kick, you question a little bit. I think that it was amazing that Nate Marquardt wasn't D/Qd in his fight with Thales Leites, but more than anything I saw a dirty fighter in Nate Marquardt, granted most things were probably accidents, you train all day long, you should know better than to strike to the back of the head, knee a downed opponent, or use a piledriver all in the same fight.
JimiMak
7/27/08 6:09:58PM
I haven't rewatched, but I saw it on a big screen in HD, and it looked like the was hitting him in the shoulder and ribs. I kept cringing when he'd throw them but he wasn't landing them illegally. Mazzagatti (i think) was right on top of it and I think it was fine.
backalley101
7/27/08 6:21:54PM
He never kicked him in the head when he was down.
Jackelope
7/27/08 6:26:25PM
The first one was questionable. I never saw a good enough angle to determine if it was a kick toward the head or not. The rest of them were definitely knees to the body, though. The way he was throwing them made it look like they were kicks, but they were knees.
grappler0000
7/27/08 8:37:25PM
I hit the rewind button immediately. It wasn't to the head...it was to the shoulder/upper arm area.

Edit: This should solve everthing.

Kracker_Jap
7/27/08 8:45:21PM
I really thought the same thing when I saw it....

Which is weird cuz i never find myself agreeing with the TS

I watched it again and I really can't tell
Jackelope
7/28/08 7:58:20PM

Posted by grappler0000

I hit the rewind button immediately. It wasn't to the head...it was to the shoulder/upper arm area.

Thanks for the .gif

I didn't figure Lawler would have kicked him in the head. There was a lot of respect between those two
PaleHorse
8/14/08 1:13:22PM

Posted by grappler0000

Great .gif, thanks for clarifying, like I said I was at work so I couldn't go back and watch a replay but it sure seemed to me like it was questionable.
mrkennedy
8/19/08 4:30:57PM

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by grappler0000

Great .gif, thanks for clarifying, like I said I was at work so I couldn't go back and watch a replay but it sure seemed to me like it was questionable.

there no head kick on this one
ToeZup
8/19/08 7:39:34PM
That's a great gif. I know what you mean man. Watching it live it looked like a kick to the head. That fight was a great sequel.