Robbie Lawler in the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Robbie Lawler in the UFC
POLL: Want him back?
Yes 88% (49)
No 13% (7)
chickmagnet
6/2/08 7:35:17PM
How about this guy. He wasn't extremley succesfull when he was in the UFC before, but that was almost 4 years ago and he has matured much more as a fighter and has picked up some brutal wins. The KO over Trigg was one of the most brutal KO's ive ever seen. He beat ninja down pretty bad. He was mauling Smith on the feet until the stupid eye poke. The beatdowns on Niko were classic, and the flying knee on Joe V. was insane.

I'd say try to sign him and get him to fight Yushin Okami or somebody up there to determine a number 1 contender. Even if he lost it would bring more depth to the MW division and create some exciting match-ups.

WAR RUTHLESS!!!
postman
6/2/08 7:40:45PM
Not so sure shaw is going to just let on of his champs walk. They do have contracts is his up and that is why you are suggesting this?
juanez13
6/2/08 7:42:17PM
yea he defenately deserves another shot in the UFC now, but thats gonna be a difficult task to take him away from the EliteXC title, i think Elite would do everything they can to keep him. As one of their champs, they cant afford to loose him as a champ, and if he looses, is the UFC willing to take him back on a loss??...

i think he'd do good in the division, a fight with franklin/Mcfedries/Cote would be awesome, but i still see some of the top contenders beating him, and i dont think he'd do good against anderson silva, especially with his style.
puppetmaster837
6/2/08 7:53:21PM
Definately have him back. I think they should throw him straight into the contenders, start him off with someone like Bisping or Okami. Or an awesome fight to see would be Lawler vs. Leben.
wolfman
6/2/08 8:11:11PM

Posted by juanez13

yea he defenately deserves another shot in the UFC now, but thats gonna be a difficult task to take him away from the EliteXC title, i think Elite would do everything they can to keep him. As one of their champs, they cant afford to loose him as a champ, and if he looses, is the UFC willing to take him back on a loss??...

i think he'd do good in the division, a fight with franklin/Mcfedries/Cote would be awesome, but i still see some of the top contenders beating him, and i dont think he'd do good against anderson silva, especially with his style.

nickcuc547
6/2/08 8:56:27PM
he would be a much needed spark in the middleweight division, a tough and exciting fighter.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/2/08 9:11:30PM
robbie lawler couldnt last at welterweight in the ufc. HE was ko'd by nick diaz. pete spratt threw leg kicks until he quit. He would get annihilated by any top ten ufc middleweight. I would pick many welterweights to beat him. Silva henderson franklin okami marquart bisping cote leben almeida etc would all have their way with lawler. I doubt he will ever be back in the ufc. Cung le or frank shamrock should fight him next. i would pick cung or frank to win those also.
holt8081
6/2/08 9:15:25PM
he would fit in great, very impressive on sat.
mkiv9secsupra
6/2/08 9:22:01PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

robbie lawler couldnt last at welterweight in the ufc.

yeah Wanderlei started his ufc career off 1W - 2L and Dan Henderson hasnt won in the UFC in ten years so i guess they would get demolished by guys in their weight classes too.....

COME ON! Robbie was a brawler then. He has shown tremendous improvement in his cardio, striking and wrestling...He would probably not make it as far as champion but could probably secure a title shot with a few wins over guys like Bisping or Okami (if he can beat them). Are you saying you wouldnt pay to see Robbie vs Leben, Bisping, Cote, McFedries, Franklin?
wolfman
6/2/08 9:32:30PM

robbie lawler couldnt last at welterweight in the ufc. HE was ko'd by nick diaz. pete spratt threw leg kicks until he quit. He would get annihilated by any top ten ufc middleweight. I would pick many welterweights to beat him. Silva henderson franklin okami marquart bisping cote leben almeida etc would all have their way with lawler. I doubt he will ever be back in the ufc. Cung le or frank shamrock should fight him next. i would pick cung or frank to win those also.

OUCH....Your assesment is harsh and flawed! Lawler was young and reckless in the UFC, hell he was only 21 when he debuted against Pete Spratt! He is a much better fighter today. Of those fighters you mentioned, he could give them all a run for their money. Yeah, Silva and Hendo would probably beat Lawler convincingly, but to say that Leben, Bisping, and Cote would is ridiculous! He COULD beat all three of them and we still don't know how good Bisping is at 185(he is untested)! He is a deserving top 10 middleweight and could hold his own in the UFC today! The guy is still young at 26, he has nowhere to go but up right now...Sadly, he will stay in Elite XC though and we will never know how well he could do in the UFC today.

EDIT: Sidenote, I have nothing against Bisping, Leben, and Cote. They are all good fighters in their own right. I just think it is ridiculous to say that they would have their way with Lawler. If they did beat Lawler, it would be a hard fought fight. Yet, I'd pick Lawler to beat all 3 as I am a huge Lawler fan, but ALSO think he has the tools to beat them via decision or late KO(Long shot as all three have good chins, but this is all hypothetical anyways).
Raykill
6/2/08 9:41:03PM

Posted by wolfman

OUCH....Your assesment is harsh and flawed! Lawler was young and reckless in the UFC, hell he was only 21 when he debuted against Pete Spratt! He is a much better fighter today. Of those fighters you mentioned, he could give them all a run for their money. Yeah, Silva and Hendo would probably beat Lawler convincingly, but to say that Leben, Bisping, and Cote would is ridiculous! He COULD beat all three of them and we still don't know how good Bisping is at 185(he is untested)! He is a deserving top 10 middleweight and could hold his own in the UFC today! The guy is still young at 26, he has nowhere to go but up right now...Sadly, he will stay in Elite XC though and we will never know how well he could do in the UFC today.

He showed a great deal of improvement in this last fight. I think he would be a great asset to the company
juanez13
6/2/08 9:46:06PM
Off topic here, but did anybody else notice Pete Sell in Smiths corner
wolfman
6/2/08 9:49:48PM

Posted by juanez13

Off topic here, but did anybody else notice Pete Sell in Smiths corner

LOL Yeah, that was interesting...What's also odd is Smith is usually in James Irvin's corner and most of us know Irvin KO'd Smith a few years back. They opened a gym together I believe and are good training partners now. Crazy stuff.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/2/08 9:58:23PM
ok ....wanderlai fought vitor belfort, tito ortiz , who were both nearly unstoppable in their prime. Dan henderson won his 2 earlier ufc fights, and then fought two top 10 pound for pound fighters, in rampage and the spider. comparing robbie career to wanderlai and henderson is absurd. pete spratt and nick diaz are not top 10 middleweights , let alone welterweights. Robbie hasn't changed his style . He's still a brawler , and having a suspect chin with that does not work. He also does not know how to check kicks ( or atleast choses not to).

On another note , I would love to see lawler vs leben/cote. IMO Either fight would end up with a ko'd lawler.

edit wolfman: I wouldn't mind arguing points with you , but you provided all opinion and as you say your a huge lawler fan, so your logic is biased. I'm a lawler fan myself , but im not delusional. Chin is something that cannot be improved. smith never caught him flush on the chin. Nick diaz throws alot of peppering punches and certainly doesnt have the KO power of many of the middle weights ( cote/leben etc.)
wolfman
6/2/08 10:07:44PM

ok ....wanderlai fought vitor belfort, tito ortiz , who were both nearly unstoppable in their prime. Dan henderson won his 2 earlier ufc fights, and then fought two top 10 pound for pound fighters, in rampage and the spider. comparing robbie career to wanderlai and henderson is absurd. pete spratt and nick diaz are not top 10 middleweights , let alone welterweights. Robbie hasn't changed his style . He's still a brawler , and having a suspect chin with that does not work. He also does not know how to check kicks ( or atleast choses not to).

On another note , I would love to see lawler vs leben/cote. IMO Either fight would end up with a ko'd lawler.

LOL Suspect chin??! Yeah, he got KO'd by Diaz, but that was AWHILE ago and that is his only KO loss to his record! So, suspect chin = HELL NO, still a brawler = NO!!! He brawled a little bit in their fight Saturday, but he quickly calmed down and remained focused throughout the fight.... I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree...Yet, I still can't believe you think he has a suspect chin, especially after all those shots he took against Smith who has HEAVY hands and only ONE KO loss to his record.
mkiv9secsupra
6/2/08 10:11:25PM

ok ....wanderlai fought vitor belfort, tito ortiz

but what im saying is Wandy was young and not in his prime much like Robbie was. Robbie still has a few years until his prime. He finished Rua who id pick over many top middleweights today. Nick Diaz has made many odd victories. He outstruck Gomi in an extreme upset so outstriking lawler isnt much of a difference. There really is no excuse for the Spratt loss except his inexperience. im not saying he is top 5 in the UFC or world Middleweight rankings but i think he could hold his own in the top ten while still improving his game consistently
Mchubb316
6/2/08 10:31:54PM
I would love to see the UFC get Lawler back if they had the oppurtunity. He has improved quite a bit since his last stint. The middleweight division needs more people to challenge for top spots. He would comptete with just about anyone in the division. If anything he would bring exitement to all his fights.
wolfman
6/2/08 10:34:18PM

edit wolfman: I wouldn't mind arguing points with you , but you provided all opinion and as you say your a huge lawler fan, so your logic is biased. I'm a lawler fan myself , but im not delusional. Chin is something that cannot be improved. smith never caught him flush on the chin. Nick diaz throws alot of peppering punches and certainly doesnt have the KO power of many of the middle weights ( cote/leben etc.)

Yeah, I know I'm biased(but no, not delusional lol), but I still don't think he has a suspect chin. I would imagine most would agree with me, whether or not they are a Lawler fan. I know Diaz doesn't have a lot of power, but that punch landed flush on his chin. That punch would have taken any other fighter out, as he lounged into the punch with his hands down and it was right on his chin. Yes, this is all my opinion and call me delusional if you want to again. However, I still think he is a better fighter today and his chin is not suspect.

PS: The way you blasted him in your first post, I highly doubt you are a Lawler fan.

EDIT: You have Bisping top ten at MW and Shamrock? Bisping is untested and only has one fight at MW. Hell, for his first fight at 185, he beat a fighter who is not that good(no offense to McCarthy). That is all we have seen of him at 185, he is not top ten yet. Then, you have Shamrock who is clearly past his prime. Shamrock is a legend, but he shouldn't be in the top ten. Also, Gegard Mousasi is a great fighter, but I don't think he is top ten just yet. Sorry to go off topic, but seriously....Bisping top ten already? Oh and btw, I don't have rankings because I'm too lazy.

Sorry, just felt like ranting....
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/3/08 12:23:19AM
yes i am a lawler fan , but i have realistic expectations for him. The same way i have realistic expectations for trigg and mayhem(who subed lawler less then 2 years ago) Trigg and mayhem both couldnt get the belt at WW(somewhere gsp is smiling) , the same way lawler couldnt. All 3 were young and have improved greatly. my opinion stands the same for the 3 , they wouldnt beat any top ten middle weight in the ufc , would lose to some welterweights. Sure bisping is untested at middle weight , but the cut is no problem for him and we all saw how great a fighter he was at 205. How many middle weights would hang with rashad evans, matt hammill ? not many. Gegard mousasi is going to win the dream grand prix IMO. I think that will change your opinion. your probably right about frank shamrock, but i dont think lawler , cung (if frank decided to take fight to ground) or anyone else outside of the first 9 would beat him.
wolfman
6/3/08 1:59:22AM
Bisping was also untested at 205, besides his gift decision win over Hamill(who is not in the top ten), he hasn't really beaten anyone of note. Also, as far as ranking, you are speaking in the future tense and are assuming he is going to win the DREAM tournament, this is flawed from the start as far as ranking goes...It is very possible for him to win the tournament and it would be very impressive. However, I see Jacare winning the tournament and him submitting GM(That is if he gets by the tough and durable Dong Yoon). Akiyama is also in contention for top ten status and I would probably put him ahead of GM, yet we will have to wait and see how the tourney unfolds and also what Akiyama does(I have no idea when he is fighting again).
Gipper
6/3/08 7:30:04AM
bottom line lawler is one of the best mw's in the world
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/3/08 2:21:18PM
ive always wante him back, linland too
tylerlee123
6/3/08 2:39:18PM
Well yea he is really impressive as of late
KYGUY07
6/4/08 2:08:48PM

gartface
6/5/08 7:48:21PM

Posted by KYGUY07

I agree as well, except that I think he would be Chris Leben.