Rivera/Martin

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Rivera/Martin
crimethinc
2/4/07 3:01:00AM
I was going to open this post by asking, "Was anyone really surprised that Terry Martin Ko'd Jorge Rivera?" But apparently 1422 people were. I think this is a perfect example of how much of a credibility boost TUF can have on a fighter. I'm not taking anything away from Jorge, I had a surprise in that fight too. I though Rivera might make it to round 2. Silly me.
hippysmacker
2/4/07 3:08:58AM

Posted by crimethinc

I was going to open this post by asking, "Was anyone really surprised that Terry Martin Ko'd Jorge Rivera?" But apparently 1422 people were. I think this is a perfect example of how much of a credibility boost TUF can have on a fighter. I'm not taking anything away from Jorge, I had a surprise in that fight too. I though Rivera might make it to round 2. Silly me.

I think they are both B-level fighter's and thought they would just alternately bore us with the occasinal flurry thrown in for flair. I definately didn't think it would be a 14 second fight. The are both usually kind of cautios IMO.
JoeMimic
2/4/07 3:15:32AM
I thought it would be a longer fight for sure and I thought Jorge would pull it out but Martin surprised everyone. A little cocky on the hardest hitter in the 185 division statement but he was impressive. I have a feeling he might be Chris Leben's next bout.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/4/07 3:20:25AM
C+ level fighters for me......what was funny for me was how Martin quickly started calling out top contenders like if this win assures him a fight with them.....he needs 2-3 more wins before he can start calling them out
Svartorm
2/4/07 3:48:32AM
I figured the reach advantage, cardio and stand-up skills would be too much for Martin to handle, and he'd eat it last in the First round. Turns out the exact opposite happened.
hippysmacker
2/4/07 4:50:21AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

C+ level fighters for me......what was funny for me was how Martin quickly started calling out top contenders like if this win assures him a fight with them.....he needs 2-3 more wins before he can start calling them out

i think Swick would flurry and KO him in the first , if he got unlucky enough to fight him. He would go for he takedown as soon as he started getting hit anyway IMO.
jmoooooo
2/4/07 5:59:14AM
TUF didnt boost my opinion of jorge, martins previous performances lowered my opinion of him.......hes been neither consistent or impressive, along with poor conditioning in the past, and rather boring fights (until he gets knocked out usually)...

i picked jorge by decision.....i was wrong on 2 fights tonight...that was one of them. the other i dont mind being wrong about (edgar/griffin) as that was the best fight of the night, and they were both impressive
crimethinc
2/4/07 6:33:49AM

Posted by jmoooooo

TUF didnt boost my opinion of jorge, martins previous performances lowered my opinion of him.......hes been neither consistent or impressive, along with poor conditioning in the past, and rather boring fights (until he gets knocked out usually)...

Martin has a now 15-2 record. With 9 KO's 5 Subs and only 1 decision. He's got two KO losses but his only decision was his first fight. 6 of his wins were in Round 1 and none of his UFC fights have gone to a third round. You must be hard to impress.
Rezen
2/4/07 9:24:43AM
Not surprised by Terry at all. I won 100 bucks on him. And the guy calling him a C level fighters need to go look at his record and examine what a C level fighter is. Martin is above average and to make to the UFC you have to be above average. (except Pointon and afew other TUFers)
zephead
2/4/07 11:03:37AM
Jorge threw a lazy kick and paid dearly for it. In this sport you have to "bring it" or you're getting hurt.
madmarck
2/4/07 11:16:39AM
a quick KO often means not much. It is a win yes but most often the fighter just gets a lucky punch. Still a win is a win and they did it legit. so all the more credit to Terry. My pick was Jorge by they way. God Dam Tuf does influence you. that fight was to close going in to lay money down on.
shawneth
2/4/07 12:34:11PM
Rivera has shown evidence of a week chin in the past, like in the Leben fight. Martin does hit hard though.
Stickan
2/4/07 3:19:36PM

Posted by crimethinc

So did I. I had Martin KOing him in the 2nd.

But those punches were mean. Good call by Herb to stop the fight cuz it could've gone bad had it continued.
GladE8R
2/4/07 3:42:25PM
I had him ko ing him in the first, but I didnt guess 14 seconds....LOL...big punch against weak chin...enough said....
TwistedTyrant
2/4/07 8:29:35PM
I knew he would win, but not that fast. After all Rivera gave Franklin some trouble so I am amazed how fast he was gone. Anyways, Martin got me $50 so thanks Terry
waylon_o
2/4/07 9:51:59PM
I've only saw Terry Martin fight 1 other time, and that was when James "The Sandman" Irvin gaving him a flying knee at the beginning of the 2nd round. Vicious.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/4/07 11:20:29PM

Posted by Rezen

Not surprised by Terry at all. I won 100 bucks on him. And the guy calling him a C level fighters need to go look at his record and examine what a C level fighter is. Martin is above average and to make to the UFC you have to be above average. (except Pointon and afew other TUFers)

i had Terry winning too,and i also won money on him....but he is not a great fighter in my eyes.....a great record means nothing when you enter the UFC.. he's lost by both James Irvin,and Jason Lambert which are B level fighters(first 2 fights in the ufc)........and wow he finally won against an other C+ level fighter who has no will to win anymore....by a lucky shot

i cant see him beating ANY of the top Middleweights....C+