The Rise of the Rubber Guard

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The Rise of the Rubber Guard
hotrodttt
6/19/08 12:50:44AM
The Rubber Guard will be widely used in all MMA shows in a short amount of time, Just look at it, It's already popping up with Aoki and Matt Horwich effectively using the Rubber Guard getting Omo and Gogoplatas as well as setting up their Triangles. And Frank Mir is Starting to get a Great Rubber Guard.

So, how much of a Weapon is the Rubber Guard going to be in the Future
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
holt8081
6/19/08 12:55:46AM
I think it will be a big Deal, soon
I posted a vid of eddie bravo and the rubber guard in the MMA Training section you should check it out its a pretty cool vid.
puppetmaster837
6/19/08 1:03:35AM
I was just thinking about this earlier after watching an Eddie Bravo video. I think the rubber guard will be the preferred guard in mma. Not many people use their guard offensively, but this seems to be better for guard offense.
jiujitsufreak74
6/19/08 1:07:53AM
well we saw Jason Day use it effectively against Belcher and the way Aoki uses it is just plain ridiculous. i think that it will start to gain popularity because when it is used effectively it is a strong weapon. just watch as Shinya uses this magnificent tool:

seanfu
6/19/08 5:00:00AM
Yeah full guard has failed the test of time. I put this on the fact that rubber guard uses two simulatanius guards though, not that full guard is fundamentally flawed.

I think rubber guard will take over.

Most people don't follow through with the rubber guard and end up on their asses taking damage from closed guard.
rycanto
6/19/08 2:55:58PM
My entire guard game is built around RG. I am a huge proponent of it for sport jiu-jitsu.

At first, I thought it would be something that would only be effective in sport jiu-jitsu. Now I am starting to understand why it can be an effective tool in MMA.

There's a bunch of videos on youtube where Bravo breaks down the philosophy behind RG in MMA. Basically, if you look at wrist control based guards...they are relatively ineffective. What percentage of subs in MMA are from the bottom? What percentage of people pass someone's closed guard in MMA?

So if playing double wrist control is ineffective...why the hell not try a different style of guard that is harder to master (MUCH harder to use in competition) but can offer much greater control? I think its worth trying it out at least....

Even then....the RG you see being used by fighters is not that great. Imagine if you get someone with the kind of crisp technique that Bravo employs and let them try out RG in mma. THATS when you will see people start using it more...
fedorwins1
6/19/08 3:16:53PM
Oh yeah no doubt the rubber guard will be used more in MMA. It is perfect for MMA, you can make it so that they can't puch you, but you have a free arm to punch them from the bottom. Although TS, that is not the rubber guard that's just an omaplata attempt.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
hotrodttt
6/19/08 6:06:29PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Oh yeah no doubt the rubber guard will be used more in MMA. It is perfect for MMA, you can make it so that they can't puch you, but you have a free arm to punch them from the bottom. Although TS, that is not the rubber guard that's just an omaplata attempt.

I know, I was trying to implement how you can transition from rubber guard to an omoplata
Korsakov
6/20/08 12:29:07AM
very effective technique for those who are fortunate enough to be extremely flexible to accomplish it.
seanfu
6/20/08 1:32:46AM
I admit I'm definantly not even close to being respectable at the rubber guard but I disagree (myself) that you have to be super flexable to use it and be effective.

I agree that the flexability will increase the danger but I'm 5'7" and a muscular guy. My 2ed favorite sub to use on peeps is the gogo plata and even though my leg just doesn't slip around the neck I make that bitch go around the neck lol.
fedorwins1
6/20/08 12:06:40PM

Posted by Korsakov

very effective technique for those who are fortunate enough to be extremely flexible to accomplish it.

To be honest you don't have to be very flexible to pull of rubber guard. Bravo and Aoki are freakishly flexible and can just fling up their leg across the person's shoulder. If you play around with rubber guard and adjust things, like put a foot on their hip and make an angle and it becomes 10x easier. Most of the time people can't pull it off, because they're too far under the person's hips and yeah that is gonna be hard as hell to do. If you're out from under their hips and you're not flat on your back, then rubber guard shouldn't be THAT hard. Look at this guy for example.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
gsquat
6/20/08 2:27:57PM
I don't understand why it inst instinctual for all ground fighters to make that the first thing they do when on their backs. As soon as I pull guard, it rubber guard. It sets up for so many submissions and provides great defense.