Riddle Responds to Dana's "Moron" Comment

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Riddle Responds to Dana's "Moron" Comment
prophecy033
3/21/13 2:11:26PM
Matthew Riddle was released from his UFC contract after failing a drug test at the recent UFC on FUEL 7 event in London, England.

Riddle, a medical marijuana user, tested positive for cannabis and had his win over Che Mills declared a no contest. He was then returned to the regional leagues, which he declared himself to be happy with because he “didn’t like the direction the UFC is going in anyway”.

Link
SmileR
3/21/13 2:14:10PM
He kind of has a point. When Riddle said that it was obvious it was a joke and he's right about cutting people for smoking weed and keeping guys like Belfort whos a known drugs cheat.
airkerma
3/21/13 2:19:32PM

Posted by SmileR

He kind of has a point. When Riddle said that it was obvious it was a joke and he's right about cutting people for smoking weed and keeping guys like Belfort whos a known drugs cheat.

Somewhat, but it isn't just reefer madness. Caceres and Peewee are still with the UFC as far as I know. It's more of an arbitrary decision that can be said to have originated from a failed test, but a failed test of any kind doesn't mean a fighter will be cut.
jae_1833
3/21/13 2:38:05PM
Riddle said blantanly that he would not stop using a banned substance. The other guys played the game...who understands business? It's PR and HR people, not hard to keep a job!
NE-1
3/21/13 2:39:55PM
While I respect Dana White for what he's done with the UFC. I do look forward to the day when there's a legitimate business person as the face of the UFC's management.

Anyone that hurls the F bomb at will and refers to their former employees as morons (at least publicly anyway) comes across as a loose cannon. The effects of which are alienating potential investors and fans. As an executive and head of a business the ability to receive criticism and remained thick skinned is paramount.

But "playing" with Dana White is comparable to playing back-yard baseball with you're friends when you're 6. If he disagrees with something he's going to throw a tantrum, take his ball, and go home. Time to put on your big boy pants Mr. White.
ThaAxeMurderer7
3/21/13 3:11:36PM

Posted by NE-1

While I respect Dana White for what he's done with the UFC. I do look forward to the day when there's a legitimate business person as the face of the UFC's management.

Anyone that hurls the F bomb at will and refers to their former employees as morons (at least publicly anyway) comes across as a loose cannon. The effects of which are alienating potential investors and fans. As an executive and head of a business the ability to receive criticism and remained thick skinned is paramount.

But "playing" with Dana White is comparable to playing back-yard baseball with you're friends when you're 6. If he disagrees with something he's going to throw a tantrum, take his ball, and go home. Time to put on your big boy pants Mr. White.

Couldn't agree more. Great post!
Shawn91111
3/21/13 3:14:50PM
Never burn your bridges in life as far as jobs go. Riddle did.
Svartorm
3/21/13 3:18:46PM
Very true. My grandpa had a saying "No matter how much ill you think of someone, it's never worth letting them know." Riddle could have just put together a quick win or two and been right back in as soon as someone on a mid-card got hurt. Now it'll take a herculean effort to erase that comment.
BillsNewAccount
3/21/13 4:30:43PM
Had Riddle been a good bro and banged with Che they would have kept him around. Utilizing your wrestling is very un-bro.
tallica62
3/21/13 6:28:07PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Normally I would agree, but if you search the ancient texts, there's some guy by the name of Tito Ortiz...

bottom line, all I know is to never ever believe anything Dana White says... Tito and Ronda would agree
grappler0000
3/21/13 6:41:05PM

Posted by tallica62

Posted by Shawn91111

Normally I would agree, but if you search the ancient texts, there's some guy by the name of Tito Ortiz...

bottom line, all I know is to never ever believe anything Dana White says... Tito and Ronda would agree

If you are valuable to your employer's competitor, there is a little wiggle room. Riddle holds no major value to anyone and is therefore not an exception to the rule, like Tito was.

edit:
It's still a rule to never break though. Ask Tito how his career wrapped up and how the fighter management business is going.
prophecy033
3/21/13 6:46:44PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by tallica62

Posted by Shawn91111

If you are valuable to your employer's competitor, there is a little wiggle room. Riddle holds no major value to anyone and is therefore not an exception to the rule, like Tito was.

edit:
It's still a rule to never break though. Ask Tito how his career wrapped up and how the fighter management business is going.

this
scpd400
3/21/13 7:00:28PM
I don't like the use of marijuana but why don't they test announcer joe. I would love to see him get replaced.
Sir_Karl
3/21/13 7:52:10PM
Riddle will more than likely regret making those comments.
Bubbles
3/21/13 8:55:59PM

Posted by scpd400

I don't like the use of marijuana but why don't they test announcer joe. I would love to see him get replaced.

Joe doesn't need to be licensed by the AC, otherwise Anik and Florini would be the main broadcast duo
tattflash
3/22/13 10:07:37AM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Had Riddle been a good bro and banged with Che they would have kept him around. Utilizing your wrestling is very un-bro.

If he had gone out all guns blazing, he would of been sitting his suspension out waiting for his next UFC fight. Riddle's problem was that he bragged about his lay n pray tactics before hand. Take a leaf out of Dave Herman and Nick Diaz books, they dope up, but put exciting fights on so just get suspended. Dana is very fickle in how his fighters fight, and Riddle should of known that when Fitch got cut, fight dull and he will find an excuse to fire you, brag about fighting dull and its goodnight sweetheart, its time to go
Boo_Radley21
3/23/13 2:08:34AM

Posted by tattflash

Posted by BillsNewAccount

If he had gone out all guns blazing, he would of been sitting his suspension out waiting for his next UFC fight. Riddle's problem was that he bragged about his lay n pray tactics before hand. Take a leaf out of Dave Herman and Nick Diaz books, they dope up, but put exciting fights on so just get suspended. Dana is very fickle in how his fighters fight, and Riddle should of known that when Fitch got cut, fight dull and he will find an excuse to fire you, brag about fighting dull and its goodnight sweetheart, its time to go

Dave Herman also gets his brain knocked around pretty good all his fights where he goes out doped up and trades to put on a show.

That shit does permanent damage why not fight smart? Its a sport not a spectacle

one of my many problems with dana white