Riddle! props to the first to solve it.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Riddle! props to the first to solve it.
« Previous Page | Next Page »
BlazinSaddle
2/12/08 12:08:50AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by roger

it is a trick question and your answer is wrong

is it smiles?

i remember a joke where it is a "mile" between to s's.

Posted by BlazinSaddle

give me food and i will live, give me water and i will die, what am i?

fire

your correct, id prop you but i cant, somebody else give JJF74 some love
BlazinSaddle
2/12/08 12:09:44AM

Posted by Shawn91111

What word can be written forward, backward or upside down, and can still be read from left to right?

i asked this question a long time ago on this thread, its NOON
hippysmacker
2/12/08 12:18:34AM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Posted by Shawn91111

What word can be written forward, backward or upside down, and can still be read from left to right?

wow works too
BlazinSaddle
2/12/08 12:25:07AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Posted by Shawn91111

wow works too

not upsidedown smacka that would spell mom
hippysmacker
2/12/08 12:45:35AM
oops your right. My bad
BlazinSaddle
2/12/08 1:19:49AM

Posted by hippysmacker

oops your right. My bad

no problem, somebody said boob awhile back and that was a bit funny spelling as poop upsidedown lol

anyway heres more riddles..

A certain crime is punishable if attempted but not punishable if committed. What is it?... 2 answers are acceptable

(this one is difficult) Throw it off the highest building, and I'll not break. But put me in water, and I will. What am I?
jiujitsufreak74
2/12/08 1:33:56AM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Posted by hippysmacker

oops your right. My bad

no problem, somebody said boob awhile back and that was a bit funny spelling as poop upsidedown lol

A certain crime is punishable if attempted but not punishable if committed. What is it?... 2 answers are acceptable

(this one is difficult) Throw it off the highest building, and I'll not break. But put me in water, and I will. What am I?

suicide for the first and and tissue for the second
candynuts
2/12/08 1:36:21AM
Which is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard?
jiujitsufreak74
2/12/08 2:13:38AM

Posted by candynuts

Which is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard?

typewriter
BlazinSaddle
2/12/08 2:21:14AM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Posted by hippysmacker

oops your right. My bad

suicide for the first and and tissue for the second

both are correct, also the first answer could have been coup d'etat AKA a riot
TNunley
2/12/08 10:52:48AM

Posted by grappler0000

isn't really a riddle but it is a cool math concept:

what is the derivative of area? (hint it is another math term)

circumference

yep

Actually that's not true...

The derivative of the area of a circle is equal to the circumference, but it is not the circumference.

The derivative of the area of a circle is the rate of change between two circles that ends up equalling the circumference of the circle, but again it is not the circumference (or we would just call it the circumference).

To put it simply... if you had a circle, and that circle were to grow (or expand), the derivative of the area is how fast the size of the area is changing in respect to how fast the length of the radius is changing. It is way too long of an explanation to go over in an internet forum... but just letting you know that just because it is equal to the circumference does not mean that the "derivative of area" IS the circumference...
TNunley
2/12/08 11:01:38AM
A woman calls the fire department and says her home is burning down. The firefighters get to the scene and although they give it all their effort the home eventually burns to the ground.

Upon questioning the lady of what had happened, the lady responds:

"I was a little bored, so I decided to head into the attic to get a book to read. My husband died a few years back, and I had put all of his books up there. Since our attic does not have a light, I had to use a candle... No one has been in the attic for years, and there were lots of spider webs up there. I guess I put the candle a little to close to the books, because one of the spider webs caught fire and it began to spread. Before I knew it the books began to burn. I tried the best I could to put out the fire, but I knocked over one of the book shelves and it spread the fire over to the wall. After the wall had began burning I knew I had to get out. I called 9-1-1 and then you all showed up. This is so horrible, but thank the Lord I bought that homeowner's insurance policy."

The fire chief asked the detective if he needed the report immediately, and the detective responded that he did not. The woman was arrested for insurance fraud... why?
jiujitsufreak74
2/12/08 2:41:51PM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by grappler0000

isn't really a riddle but it is a cool math concept:

what is the derivative of area? (hint it is another math term)

circumference

yep

Actually that's not true...

The derivative of the area of a circle is equal to the circumference, but it is not the circumference.

The derivative of the area of a circle is the rate of change between two circles that ends up equalling the circumference of the circle, but again it is not the circumference (or we would just call it the circumference).

To put it simply... if you had a circle, and that circle were to grow (or expand), the derivative of the area is how fast the size of the area is changing in respect to how fast the length of the radius is changing. It is way too long of an explanation to go over in an internet forum... but just letting you know that just because it is equal to the circumference does not mean that the "derivative of area" IS the circumference...

i was speaking in equation terms.
so, A=pr^2 and P=p2r which is the derivative of pr^2. i wasn't speaking in terms of it changing constantly, but the derivative of the equation of area which is equal to the equation for perimeter. you looked too much in depth on the question, but i guess it is my fault because i didn't specify equation,
roger
2/12/08 4:39:36PM

so, A=pr^2 and P=p2r which is the derivative of pr^2. i wasn't speaking in terms of it changing constantly, but the derivative of the equation of area which is equal to the equation for perimeter. you looked too much in depth on the question, but i guess it is my fault because i didn't specify equation,

i have no idea what you just said
TNunley
2/12/08 5:52:35PM

I understand what you are getting at, but you asked:

"what is the derivative of area? (hint it is another math term) "

You accepted the answer "Circumference" as the correct answer.

My point is that a derivative is not the circumference. In fact the only time a derivative is the circumference is when talking about circles. There are derivatives of shapes other than circles. Also, if you are going to take circumference as an answer you should have taken BlazingSaddle's answer of "Slope" as well. It has just as much to do with slope as it does circumference.

To define a derivative it is the measure of how the function changes, when the input changes. It is not limited to circles (or shapes only with a circumference), therefore the answer circumference can not be a complete answer to the question.

I didn't want to have to get into a lengthy discussion about this, just saying that circumference is not the correct answer to the question you asked.

-Edit-
Back on topic... anyone have an answer to my riddle?
Pookie
2/13/08 5:48:52AM

Posted by TNunley

A woman calls the fire department and says her home is burning down. The firefighters get to the scene and although they give it all their effort the home eventually burns to the ground.

"I was a little bored, so I decided to head into the attic to get a book to read. My husband died a few years back, and I had put all of his books up there. Since our attic does not have a light, I had to use a candle... No one has been in the attic for years, and there were lots of spider webs up there. I guess I put the candle a little to close to the books, because one of the spider webs caught fire and it began to spread. Before I knew it the books began to burn. I tried the best I could to put out the fire, but I knocked over one of the book shelves and it spread the fire over to the wall. After the wall had began burning I knew I had to get out. I called 9-1-1 and then you all showed up. This is so horrible, but thank the Lord I bought that homeowner's insurance policy."

The fire chief asked the detective if he needed the report immediately, and the detective responded that he did not. The woman was arrested for insurance fraud... why?

Because theres no way a widow could move a bookshelf into the attic alone... too many stairs and not enough muscle.

Really though this is ridiculously hard.
I know theres one thing askew in here but im not sure what. Spider webs are quite flammable so its not that. Maybe its the fact that spider webs grow at the top of walls and not on book shelves.
Pookie
2/13/08 5:58:24AM
Holy Crap ive found the hardest puzzler game in the world

http://www.frvade.com/red/level1.htm

try and get to level three, its ridiculous.

www.deathball.net/notpron/
as well.

TNunley
2/13/08 9:04:21AM

Posted by Pookie

as well.

I'm nt sure I understand the concept of the frvade game... there are no hints that I can find, other than changing the url to the next level.
TNunley
2/13/08 9:17:03AM
Pookie... you're right that something in the story is askew that makes the detective suspicious, but I think you're looking at it wrong.
grappler0000
2/13/08 10:02:32AM

Posted by TNunley

The woman said that the books were moved to the attic after her husband died. Her husband died just a few years back. She then said that there were lots of spider webs since nobody had been in the attic in years, which could not have been true.
TNunley
2/13/08 11:16:41AM
Well I don't believe anyone is going to answer this... either that or they just don't have interest to answer it so I will go ahead and reveal the mystery.

The answer is in fact that spider webs don't burn... Don't believe me? Try it... you can melt a spider web, and with enough effort you may be able to get the web to flame a little but it is not possible for the webs to burst into flames igniting anything (especially not on accident). Sorry Pookie, but they are not highly flammable.

Here's another (it is pretty easy):

The police respond to a murder scene. The deceased is sitting in a chair after being shot. After investigating the detectives discover the shooter must have shot from outside the house as their are 2 holes in a window that provides a direct line of fire to where the victim was found.

Upon performing an autopsy, the bullet is removed from the body but ballistics can not be performed on the bullet because it fragmented on impact. The forensic detective determines that the bullet trajectory was on a downward slope indicating the hole in the upper pane window was the shot that impacted the victim. The hole in the lower pane window would suggest a bullet trajectory that would be in an upward slope since it was so low on the window. Therefore the detectives need to search for another bullet that missed the victim to perform ballistics testing. No bullet is ever found. Why could they not find the second bullet?
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/13/08 11:22:19AM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by Pookie

as well.

I'm nt sure I understand the concept of the frvade game... there are no hints that I can find, other than changing the url to the next level.

These riddles are pretty much a simple case of rearranging HTML, checking out the source of the webpage, chaning urls, etc... Either your gonna rock at this or suck, i made level 49. Having previously learned the base of HTML is a good way to figure out these lil' brain teasers.
BlazinSaddle
2/16/08 10:05:31PM
I went into the woods and got it. I sat down to seek it. I brought it home with me because I couldn't find it. What is it?
grappler0000
2/17/08 12:07:31AM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

I went into the woods and got it. I sat down to seek it. I brought it home with me because I couldn't find it. What is it?

Splinter?
BlazinSaddle
2/17/08 2:04:03AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Splinter?

yes
jiujitsufreak74
2/17/08 2:20:17AM
i have one:

what are my favorite kinds of submissions? (this will see who has been paying attention to my posts)

my second one for today:

An evil ruler has 1000 bottles of wine. An enemy lord plots to kill the evil ruler, and sends a servant to poison the wine. The ruler's guards catch the servant after he has only poisoned one bottle. The guards don't know which bottle was poisoned, but they do know that the poison is so potent that even if it was diluted 1,000,000 times, it would still be fatal.

Furthermore, the effects of the poison take approximately one month to surface although it doesn't kill you exactly 30 days to the minute from absorption. The ruler decides he will get some of his prisoners in his vast dungeons to drink the wine. Rather than using 1000 prisoners each assigned to a particular bottle, this ruler knows that he needs to murder no more than 10 prisoners to figure out what bottle is poisoned, and will still be able to drink the rest of the wine in 5 weeks time. How does he pull this off?
BlazinSaddle
2/17/08 2:35:12AM

i have one:

what are my favorite kinds of submissions? (this will see who has been paying attention to my posts)

my second one for today:

An evil ruler has 1000 bottles of wine. An enemy lord plots to kill the evil ruler, and sends a servant to poison the wine. The ruler's guards catch the servant after he has only poisoned one bottle. The guards don't know which bottle was poisoned, but they do know that the poison is so potent that even if it was diluted 1,000,000 times, it would still be fatal.

Furthermore, the effects of the poison take approximately one month to surface although it doesn't kill you exactly 30 days to the minute from absorption. The ruler decides he will get some of his prisoners in his vast dungeons to drink the wine. Rather than using 1000 prisoners each assigned to a particular bottle, this ruler knows that he needs to murder no more than 10 prisoners to figure out what bottle is poisoned, and will still be able to drink the rest of the wine in 5 weeks time. How does he pull this off?

i'll take a wild guess and say your favorite sub is....a....omaplata?

if only one bottle of whine was poisoned only one prisoner will die if each of the 1000 prisioners were assigned to take a sip from each bottle, one would die in 30 days and they would know which one was poisoned yet save the other 999 bottles
jiujitsufreak74
2/17/08 2:40:47AM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

i have one:

my second one for today:

if only one bottle of whine was poisoned only one prisoner will die if each of the 1000 prisioners were assigned to take a sip from each bottle, one would die in 30 days and they would know which one was poisoned yet save the other 999 bottles

nope, nice huess though (actually, omaplata's are my least favorite submission)

and read the riddle again, he only uses 10 to figure it out...how does he do it without using 1000 butmerely 10 was the question.
BlazinSaddle
2/17/08 3:05:25AM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

i have one:

my second one for today:

nope, nice huess though (actually, omaplata's are my least favorite submission)

and read the riddle again, he only uses 10 to figure it out...how does he do it without using 1000 butmerely 10 was the question.

least favorite is omaplata, then maybe its a side choke? or a kneebar?

my way would worked too lol...ok i got it then

you pour a little bit from each of the 1000 bottles into 10 empty bottles and have 10 prisioners assigned to each bottle
jiujitsufreak74
2/17/08 3:16:50AM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

least favorite is omaplata, then maybe its a side choke? or a kneebar?

my way would worked too lol...ok i got it then

you pour a little bit from each of the 1000 bottles into 10 empty bottles and have 10 prisioners assigned to each bottle

my favorite submissions are leg locks so technically yes, kneebar is correct

and for the second riddle, the way you described does not pinpoint the exact bottle, but rather pinpoints 100 bottles that can potentially be poisoned. the way the ruler did it in the riddle only required 10 prisoners, 5 weeks to do and was successful in pinpointing the exact poisoned bottle. what did he do?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9