GET rid of Guilloteen choke!!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » GET rid of Guilloteen choke!!
hathcock32
3/23/07 4:37:49PM
Easy way to get out of a fight. GET RID OF THE GAY ASS CHOKE. I could choke someone out with that with no traning. However a gogoplata, an armbar now those take a lot of skill.
cowcatcher
3/23/07 4:41:01PM
you went from saying how strong lesnars would be in the other orgs thread to this??? i dont get it, its a huge part of bjj training for mma i see no reason at all to get rid of it
fedorwins1
3/23/07 4:52:27PM
..............dude it's a huge part of fighting it's BJJ and if they did take it away it would favor wrestlers even more.
xthe_scottx
3/23/07 5:11:47PM
You can't just get rid of a choke because its easy. The rear naked choke is also easy, should that be banned too?
hcazlekker
3/23/07 5:53:32PM

Posted by hathcock32

Easy way to get out of a fight. GET RID OF THE GAY ASS CHOKE. I could choke someone out with that with no traning. However a gogoplata, an armbar now those take a lot of skill.

I can see where you're coming from. A guy I roll with has a gnack for guillotines, he always catches me with the bastards. Actually, that's all he does, guillotines. Whatever works for you I guess. I keep my chin tucked, he still sinks it. I hop up and hook his thighs, he still manages the leveridge. I roll back, straighten up, and squeeze the mofo as hard as I can, he still keeps it. I frikkn hate that submission. He is 6'2" and a semi-solid 290lbs though.

But, its legal, and deady effective. Though I agree its use can get quite cheap with some people, I don't think it should be banned.

I still have issues with Allistair's guillotine over Vovchanchyn. The use of the guillotine in that particular fight was, imho, very cheap.

Maybe, a three limit? Like KOs in boxing? No, thats retarded. It would have to be like that for every submission then. And MMA isn't about denying anyone's skill set. You use and win with what you have.

I've pondered about a standing eight for flash KOs in MMA, but that subject gets really sticky really quick, very circumstantial. I've come to the conclusion they (PrideFC mostly) just need better referees . . .
hippysmacker
3/23/07 6:02:29PM

Posted by hathcock32

I strongly disagree. People have different strengths, if you are Alistair/Renzo , the guillotine is one of your strengths. This is the equivalent of someone calling me a cheater for tackling them in a steet fight just because they are a boxer, and I am a better wrestler. You use your strengths, and fight away from your opponents. Other wise Florian would have had to stay standing with Cope , and he probably would have gotten his head taken off.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/23/07 8:53:25PM
Chucks right hand is also a easy way to win a fight....they should get rid of that too?
mrsumo
3/23/07 10:27:52PM
I can see where you are coming from there, but it will never go away. As easy as it is to slap on it's also easy to defend. You are talking submission basics there. I saw the IFL the other night and they played a bunch of fights for Bas's team. One event they won almost every bout in the first minute by guillotine. I think it was Tokyo they beat. It can suck to lose to a guillotine right away and when it's over you aren't even tired, but it's part of the game.
hathcock32
3/23/07 11:25:38PM
Yea i agree it is someone guys strategy's. I just dont like its place in fights at times. I know when me and my buddy roll...and hes a little shorter than me,,,granted he doesent know how to defend it but hes a lot stronger than me and i can submit hit every time with it. I was just watching the Lytle/hughes fight where lytle went for the guilloteen like 50 times. I love the sport so much, i gotta find little details to find a negative.
Svartorm
3/24/07 3:11:20AM
Its a simple move with simple defenses and simple escapes.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/24/07 11:47:20AM

Posted by hcazlekker

Posted by hathcock32

I can see where you're coming from. A guy I roll with has a gnack for guillotines, he always catches me with the bastards. Actually, that's all he does, guillotines. Whatever works for you I guess. I keep my chin tucked, he still sinks it. I hop up and hook his thighs, he still manages the leveridge. I roll back, straighten up, and squeeze the mofo as hard as I can, he still keeps it. I frikkn hate that submission. He is 6'2" and a semi-solid 290lbs though.

But, its legal, and deady effective. Though I agree its use can get quite cheap with some people, I don't think it should be banned.

I still have issues with Allistair's guillotine over Vovchanchyn. The use of the guillotine in that particular fight was, imho, very cheap.

Maybe, a three limit? Like KOs in boxing? No, thats retarded. It would have to be like that for every submission then. And MMA isn't about denying anyone's skill set. You use and win with what you have.

I've pondered about a standing eight for flash KOs in MMA, but that subject gets really sticky really quick, very circumstantial. I've come to the conclusion they (PrideFC mostly) just need better referees . . .

Man I know EXACTLY what you mean. Everytime I shoot in for the takedown on this one guy, Im fighting off a guillotine. Problem with that is when I shoot in for the takedown, I stop as soon as I get him down, instead of pushing through him for better position. I find wrestlers are great at doing this
madmarck
3/24/07 11:55:37AM

Posted by hathcock32

Its also one of the easier moves to get out of if you know how. Some guys can get it on you and crank it. But a lot of guys just do it without much pratice and their opponenets just get out of it.

Other than that. Why get rid of a sub? Are you saying it takes more skill to do a bulldog choke, or Anaconda choke? Do you know what either of those are?

Or are you just starting anohter thread b/c you had a thought. God you make 20 threads a day.

Oh and by the way. Its called a Guillotine not a GUILLOTEEN. If you are gonna flame on something at least get its name right.
aceprone
3/24/07 12:38:41PM
this is one of the most dumbest threads I've seen. Get rid of a sub because it's too easy? That makes no sense! That is like saying, "lets get rid of the double leg takedown, because it's the easiest takedown to do." Makes no sense. You get thumbs down for this thread

If fighters get caught in it, then they need to learn not to get lazy in the ring and they need to learn the basics in Ju Jitsu. A move like the gulliotine keeps should keep fighters on their toes.
hathcock32
3/24/07 7:43:38PM
Hey MARK get your serious ass out of the padded room.
madmarck
3/24/07 7:52:03PM

Posted by hathcock32

Hey MARK get your serious ass out of the padded room.

Get your stupid Tito pic off this site.
Owned. Sick rick is now off the hook.
crimethinc
3/25/07 1:33:23PM
Yes, and then get rid of leg kicks, overhand rights, armbars, spinning back kicks/fists, double leg take downs, and GnP.
zephead
3/25/07 1:52:17PM
It's a shame we don't have a Wasteland Forum.

Stickan
3/25/07 2:21:04PM

Posted by zephead

Why don't just delete pointless threads?
Rush
3/25/07 6:02:04PM
guillotine chokes may be 'easy' (actually I would say less technical) however, they are risky. I've many fighters fight for this choke only to blow all their arm strength and end up losing.

Like pretty much anything, it adds another dimension to fighting.

Besides, I would say that at least 80% of the submissions successfully used in the UFC and pride are the most basic ones out there.
madmarck
3/26/07 12:30:23PM

Posted by zephead

Possible to create one? Many a thread would get sent there.
MethodMan
3/27/07 5:22:33AM
the threads you post heavily on maybe