Rick Story says he's fighting Demian Maia at UFC 153 in Rio de Janeiro

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rick Story says he's fighting Demian Maia at UFC 153 in Rio de Janeiro
DrivenDavies15
7/31/12 6:17:00PM
A pair of welterweights has been added to the lineup for the UFC's fall return to Brazil.

Rick Story (14-5 MMA, 7-3 UFC) will meet Brazilian Demian Maia (16-4 MMA, 10-4 UFC) when the UFC heads to Rio de Janeiro in October. Story on Tuesday announced the fight booking on Twitter.

LINK
Budgellism
7/31/12 6:23:22PM
Very, very interesting fight.
infestructure
7/31/12 6:30:13PM
Can't wait for Maia to get another sub win. It will be in this fight.
Wallass
7/31/12 6:31:34PM
Awesome fight! This card just keeps getting better!
sparky
7/31/12 6:34:55PM
Maia via submission in the first I have a feeling this one will be quick
prophecy033
7/31/12 6:55:31PM
I like Maia via sub but who knows if this fight will still be on the card come fight time.
shaneTpain
7/31/12 7:57:09PM
Maia via freak first minute muscle spasm
frizzzlecake
7/31/12 7:58:56PM
Story via Dec.
FastKnockout
7/31/12 9:19:20PM
Story is some pretty good sub defense so we'll see.
fonduktoe
8/1/12 1:10:38AM
maybe now we'll have a chance to see how maia actually looks at welterweight
aussiemma
8/1/12 1:56:04AM
maia is well overdue for a sub win
airkerma
8/1/12 9:26:10AM
Hate to be the skeptic, but I just don't see Maia: A. subbing Story who has yet to be subbed; B. Having the cardio to keep up with Story or; C. Having an answer for Story's relentless cage dirty boxing. This is could be a very terrible matchup for Maia as his double/single leg takedowns are below average and Story has way above average TDD. Rough night for Maia, I suspect a one sided UD for Story...end of story.
bigrand826
8/1/12 10:03:07AM

Posted by airkerma

Hate to be the skeptic, but I just don't see Maia: A. subbing Story who has yet to be subbed; B. Having the cardio to keep up with Story or; C. Having an answer for Story's relentless cage dirty boxing. This is could be a very terrible matchup for Maia as his double/single leg takedowns are below average and Story has way above average TDD. Rough night for Maia, I suspect a one sided UD for Story...end of story.

I am thinking the same thing. Brenneman was able to get Story down, but Maia's wrestling isn't at that level (plus that was a last second change of opponent). Maia did show a focus on getting the fight to the ground against Kim, indicating that he's going back to fighting to his strengths, but we got no indication of what his cardio will be like at WW. Story is a tank and if he starts landing body shots, Maia's cardio will start to fall off. I don't see the fight going to the ground unless Story takes it there. In my opinion, that would be a mistake on his part. His chin and power advantages lead me to believe that he'll elect to keep this fight standing.
bjj1605
8/1/12 9:12:56PM

Posted by airkerma

Maia threw Chael Sonnen.

I'd say his takedowns are just fine.
8/2/12 12:06:41AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by airkerma

Maia threw Chael Sonnen.

this..

there's more ways to get someone down than running through them with a double leg, he has great trips/throws in the clinch.. it's gonna be a hard fight to pick .
aussiemma
8/2/12 12:21:25AM
maia's stand up is a little underrated too imo, he does pressure alot on the feet and always comes forward. Remember the fight with munoz..he kept the pressure on him well throughout.
airkerma
8/2/12 9:11:11AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by airkerma

Maia threw Chael Sonnen.

Check the bolding...
He threw him from the clinch with Sonnen's back against the cage, which happens to be Story's strong point (see point C). So no, I wouldn't say his takedowns are just fine.
bjj1605
8/2/12 7:58:34PM

Posted by bjj1605

Maia threw Chael Sonnen.

posted by airkerma

Check the bolding...
He threw him from the clinch with Sonnen's back against the cage, which happens to be Story's strong point (see point C). So no, I wouldn't say his takedowns are just fine.

Check the bold.

Doesn't matter how you take some one down as long as you get the job done (if anything throws are more damaging.) You were using his lack of takedowns as evidence of why he'd lose the fight. I disagree with your assessment. So I think my point was pretty relevant.
Pookie
8/3/12 12:26:42AM
Maia is soft in the body, and as someone pointed out Story is a monster with mixing in body punching.

I think Maia's stand-up will look good in this fight, Story will have it in mind to be wary of the takedown, and Maia can attack without the same considerations. Also, Story can't clinch without allowing Maia to pull guard. Tough fight for him IMO.