richieb19's MMA Hall of Fame (20/02/07)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » richieb19's MMA Hall of Fame (20/02/07)
Next Page »
richieb19
2/20/07 4:58:17PM
Bas Rutten
Alias: El Guapo
Record: 28-4-1 (12 KO, 13 Sub)
Background: Muay Thai / Tae Kwon Do / Kyokushin Karate
World Titles: UFC HW Champion, 3X King of Pancrase
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Frank Shamrock, Pancrase – Truth 5
Biography: A charismatic person to say the least, Bas is known by most as the once loveable Pride color commentator, when in reality it’s his rise to fame in the Pancrase organization that steals the show. Rutten, a striker in an organization filled with grapplers, had to adapt to stay ahead. If holding wins over some of the greatest fighters in the world isn’t enough, making it seem easy should be.

Chuck Liddell
Alias: The Iceman
Record: 20-3-0 (13 KO, 1 Sub)
Background: Kempo Karate
World Titles: 5X UFC LHW Champion
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Randy Couture, UFC 52
Biography: One of the UFC’s most popular and recognizable fighters, Chuck has amassed wins over just about everyone thrown in front of him. Liddell is well known for his awkward, yet extremely effective punching style. Many of the world’s greatest fighters have fallen victim to his long looping overhand punch.

Don Frye
Alias: The Predator
Record: 17-5-1 (6 KO, 9 Sub)
Background: Freestyle Wrestling / Greco Roman Wrestling
Titles: UFC 8 Champion, UU 96 Champion
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Gary Goodridge, UU 96
Biography: Don Frye is someone who has always seemed to have a full set of tools for battle. Frye is easily the toughest, grittiest fighter to have ever stepped foot into any ring or cage, as he has never tapped out to a submission, even if it means having his bones broken in the process. His never die attitude is something that is unique to him, and it has given him tremendous success thruought his career.

Fedor Emelianenko
Alias: none
Record: 25-1-0 (6 KO, 12 Sub)
Background: Sambo / Judo
World Titles: ’02 Rings King of Kings HW Tournament Champion, ’04 Pride HW Grand Prix Champion, 4X Pride HW Champion
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Pride 25
Biography: Fedor, a Russian national hero, has been recognized by many fans of the sport as one of the greatest of all times. Having beaten the worlds greatest strikers on his feet, and the world’s greatest grapplers on the mat, it is easy to see that the reigning champion brings fourth an appropriate gameplan for each fighter he faces.

Frank Shamrock
Record: 21-8-1 (2 KO, 13 Sub)
Background: Shoot Fighting / Kickboxing
Titles: Provisional King of Pancrase, 5X UFC MW Champion
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Tito Ortiz, UFC 22
Biography: Frank made his debut into mixed martial arts through his adoptive brother Ken’s stable the Lion’s Den, and impressed many onlookers with his outstanding skill set. He later went on to evolve into a fighter with a unique style and attitude, defeating seemingly better fighters with a combination of composure and cardio. Frank Shamrock was named by many as the fighter of the ninety’s.

Igor Vovchanchyn
Alias: Ice Cold
Record: 45-9-1 (24 KO, 14 Sub)
Background: Kickboxing
World Titles: none
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Gary Goodridge, ’00 Pride Grand Prix Finals
Biography: This short, chubby Ukrainian may not seem all that threatening at first, but one punch from his right hand will soon change your mind. Igor, one of the greatest kickboxers to have made the transition to mixed martial arts, brings a devastating style to each match, using his powerful punches to either KO his opponents, or reduce them to mush.

Kazushi Sakuraba
Alias: The Gracie Hunter
Record: 20-8-1 (3 KO, 13 Sub)
Background: Shoot Fighting
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Royce Gracie, ’00 Pride Grand Prix Finals
Biography: A Japanese hero, Sakuraba is mostly known for his legendary wins over four members of the Gracie family. Seemingly out of shape and often in the wrong weight class, Sakuraba is always entertaining and talented beyond words.

Ken Shamrock
Alias: The World’s Most Dangerous Man
Record: 27-12-2 (2 KO, 23 Sub)
World Titles: 2X OW King of Pancrase, 2X UFC Superfight Champion
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Dan Severn, UFC 6
Biography: A pioneer to the sport, Shamrock was the first man to hold a major title in two of the biggest organizations in the world. He also headed the Lion’s Den, which turned out some of the greatest fighters of time. Shamrock has the skills to take the fight anywhere, although often finds his home on his opponents legs, twisting away. Ken Shamrock was the first member along with Royce Gracie to be inducted into the UFC’s hall of fame.

Mark Coleman
Alias: The Hammer
Record: 15-8-0 (4 KO, 8 Sub)
Background: Freestyle Wrestling
World Titles: UFC HW Champion, ’00 Pride HW Grand Prix Champion
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Igor Vovchanchyn, ’00 Pride Grand Prix Finals
Biography: Coleman made a memorable debut in the UFC, punishing every formidable opponent with his brutal ground and pound tactics. Leading team HammerHouse, this wrestler has used his stunning strength and abilities to take the match wherever he likes. Coleman was the first man to a champion in both the UFC and Pride.

Masakatsu Funaki
Record: 38-11-1 (4 KO, 33 Sub)
World Titles: 2X OW King of Pancrase
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Frank Shamrock, Pancrase- Eyes of the Beat 2
Biography: Easily one of the greatest Japanese fighters in the history of mixed martial arts, Funaki is seen by many also as the greatest submission fighter to have ever graced the sport. This status gains truth as he holds multiple submission wins over Ken Shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Yuki Kondo, Minoru Suzuki and Bas Rutten to name a few. Aside from a fantastic career, Funaki is most known for being the creator of the Pancrase organization in Japan, which to this day is still one of the most well known and respected groups in mixed martial arts.

Matt Hughes
Record: 40-5-0 (14 KO, 18 Sub)
Background: Freestyle Wrestling
World Titles: 9X UFC WW Champion
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Frank Trigg, UFC 52
Biography: Arguably the greatest welterweight fighter of all time, Hughes has amassed a fantastic record, defeating just about everyone with his seemingly endless strength. Known mostly for his devastating slams, Matt has found himself with a belt around his waist for the better part of his professional career.

Mirko Filipovic
Alias: CroCop
Record: 22-4-2 (15 KO, 4 Sub)
Background: Boxing / Kickboxing
World Titles: ’06 Pride OW Grand Prix Champion
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Igor Vovchanchyn, Pride – Total Elimination ‘03
Biogaphy: Possibly the greatest striker to have ever fought in mixed martial arts, CroCop brings an entertaining fight to the fans every time. Known around the world for his trademark left high kick, which has felled even the greatest of fighters, Mirko Filipovic has the uncanny ability to keep people out of their element.

Pedro Rizzo
Alias: The Rock
Record: 14-7-0 (8 KO, 4 Sub)
Background: Vale Tudo
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Josh Barnett, UFC 30
Biography: Inspired by the King of the Streets, Marco Ruas, Pedro was determined to become a professional fighter. With his hero at his side he made his way to the UFC, where he devastated his opponents with precise leg kicks and solid punches. Although he may never have won a world title, Rizzo is easily one of the most talented young fighters to have ever fought in the UFC.

Randy Couture
Alias: The Natural
Record: 14-8-0 (6 KO, 2 Sub)
Background: Greco Roman Wresling
World Titles: 3X UFC HW Champion, 3X UFC LHW Champion
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Chuck Liddel, UFC 43
Biography: Randy started his mixed martial arts career at a late age, but he wasn’t dubbed the natural for nothing. Randy is the first person in the history of the UFC to win a title in two weight categories, not once but twice. Randy Couture was also the fourth member inducted into the UFC hall of fame.

Royce Gracie
Record: 13-3-3 (12 Sub)
Background: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
World Titles: UFC 1 Champion, UFC 2 Champion, UFC 4 Champion
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Kimo Leopoldo, UFC 3
Biography: Royce Gracie, a small and slender man, put the UFC on the map by defeating much larger opponents using his families patented martial art. Royce is solely responsible for the popularization of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, as it is today considered a necessity amongst many fighters around the world. Royce Gracie was the first member along with Ken Shamrock to be inducted into the UFC’s hall of fame.

Tsuyoshi Kohsaka
Alias: TK
Record: 19-11-1 (7 KO, 5 Sub)
Background: Judo
Most Memorable Match: Vs. Mark Hunt, Pride – Total Elimination Absolute
Biography: One of the sports most inspiring fighters, TK has never been one to back out of a match, and with his many abilities it has landed him plenty of success. Along with Frank Shamrock and Maurice Smith, Kohsaka formed the Alliance, which greatly improved all of their skills. The TK Guard, a type of open guard, also opened many peoples eyes at another useful aspect of ground fighting in mixed martial arts.

Wanderlei Silva
Alias: The Axe Murderer
Record: 31-6-1 (21 KO, 4 Sub)
Background: Muay Thai / Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
World Titles: ’03 Pride MW Grand Prix Champions, 6X Pride MW Champion
Biography: One of the most feared fighters in mixed martial arts competition, Wanderlei Silva brings a fast paced, non-stop action fight to the fans every time. With his wild punches, knees from the clinch and head stomps, Silva has left many fighters bloody and unconscious on the mat.
richieb19
2/20/07 4:59:44PM
Disclaimer: Please realize that the list mentioned above is completely subjective, and in no way is an official list of sorts. The fighters I have inducted into this imaginary hall of fame have been picked from a certain criteria that you may not all agree with. The bio's have been shortened to make the overall post shorter, but if you feel that I have left something important out, please add. If you wish to mention a fighter who you think is deserving of being in this list, please feel free to share, but remember that this is MY hall of fame, and I may not agree with your candidate.
richieb19
2/20/07 8:30:47PM
Not much love for this thread...
nate22
2/20/07 8:42:06PM
This would make great material for the blurbs in the database if you were willing to add them in for the fighters.

Nice write up, but as you say different opinions although I don't have many issues with anybody being on that list.
hippysmacker
2/20/07 8:44:36PM
I would add Maurice Smith as he was the first really good striker to hold a major title I can think of.
richieb19
2/20/07 8:47:29PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I would add Maurice Smith as he was the first really good striker to hold a major title I can think of.

He was one of the fighters that I was really thinking about adding, but I didn't just because he never really develloped a solid ground game during his career, and aside from his win over Coleman (which was legendary to say the least) and some other decent wins, hes never really impressed me...
madmarck
2/20/07 10:54:24PM
No Rickson love? Wow i think his clan following is dying.

I wish GSP would get 10 more wins in a row. Which he will just so people can put him a hall of fame.
richieb19
2/20/07 11:07:13PM

Posted by madmarck

No Rickson love? Wow i think his clan following is dying.

I wish GSP would get 10 more wins in a row. Which he will just so people can put him a hall of fame.

IMO Rickson is more hype than anything, I would much rather put Renzo in than him. GSP is pretty worthy as is, but since hes still young I didnt add him yet...
Snacks
2/20/07 11:20:38PM
I really hope Hayato "Mach" Sakurai flies to you house and beats your face in for neglecting to mention him.
richieb19
2/21/07 12:03:41AM

Posted by Snacks

I really hope Hayato "Mach" Sakurai flies to you house and beats your face in for neglecting to mention him.

I dunno, last time he was confronted by a regular person he got his nose broken lol...
Snacks
2/21/07 12:26:22AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Snacks

I dunno, last time he was confronted by a regular person he got his nose broken lol...

You can't even get the story right.
JunCTion
2/21/07 1:15:19AM
Igor Vovchanchyn
Kazushi Sakuraba
Henzo Gracie
3 of my favorite pride originals
i know he will never make anybodies HOF but i always liked watching Akira Shoji. win or lose he fought his butt off and was always entertaining and was a crowd favorite

is there any way i can get ahold of any of bas' fights? i havent seen very many.
richieb19
2/21/07 1:28:23AM

Posted by Snacks

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Snacks

You can't even get the story right.

Wasnt it something along the lines that he got into a fender bender with someone, and the guy came out and punched him while he was apologizing, broke his nose...

is that right?
richieb19
2/21/07 1:29:59AM

Posted by JunCTion

Igor Vovchanchyn
Kazushi Sakuraba
Henzo Gracie
3 of my favorite pride originals
i know he will never make anybodies HOF but i always liked watching Akira Shoji. win or lose he fought his butt off and was always entertaining and was a crowd favorite

is there any way i can get ahold of any of bas' fights? i havent seen very many.

There is a way, but maybe you can find some decent fights on youtube or dailymotion
Manfred
2/21/07 2:18:26AM
Tried to give you props but it wouldn't let me. It's a little Panrase-heavy for my taste but well done. Thanks for taking the time.

I think HOF lists should exclude GSP and others that still have a long career ahead of them. Time will tell if they last (see: Frank Mir)

Did you consider Big Nog?
richieb19
2/21/07 2:40:16AM

Posted by Manfred

Tried to give you props but it wouldn't let me. It's a little Panrase-heavy for my taste but well done. Thanks for taking the time.

I think HOF lists should exclude GSP and others that still have a long career ahead of them. Time will tell if they last (see: Frank Mir)

Did you consider Big Nog?

I heavily concidered Big Nog, and to be honest it was a hard decision, he will make it in the future...

I'm surprized no one mentioned TK being in there...

Wont let you gimme props?
Snacks
2/21/07 3:58:45AM
Also, I'd have given you props had you mentioned ANY of the old school Shooters, as opposed to the useless Pancrase fighters who worked fights.

PARAESTRA SAIKOU!
Manfred
2/21/07 5:12:08AM

Posted by richieb19

No, apparently you have to spread the love some, you can't give it to the same posters without giving props to others. Not sure what the exact formula is, but I've been denied a couple times.
madmarck
2/21/07 9:47:30AM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by richieb19

No, apparently you have to spread the love some, you can't give it to the same posters without giving props to others. Not sure what the exact formula is, but I've been denied a couple times.

So you can only give props to someone once?? That kinda makes sense but not a whole lot. I guess it stops people from making dual accounts and then using one give themself props. But in reality These Props mean nothing. Its like a hockey card. Its cool to have in all but it is just a piece of cardboard.
Manfred
2/21/07 11:03:55AM
You can give props more than once, but you got to spread the love and can't repeatedly give it to the same poster over and over. I PM'd a mod so see if he knows more details
madmarck
2/21/07 12:17:33PM

Posted by Manfred

You can give props more than once, but you got to spread the love and can't repeatedly give it to the same poster over and over. I PM'd a mod so see if he knows more details

Thats what i mean not to the same poster.
JunCTion
2/21/07 12:31:27PM
props to you all for having a conversation about giving eachother props
EEKS
2/21/07 3:02:20PM
Cool list dude, i agree with everyone on that list
richieb19
2/21/07 3:08:18PM

Posted by Snacks

Also, I'd have given you props had you mentioned ANY of the old school Shooters, as opposed to the useless Pancrase fighters who worked fights.

PARAESTRA SAIKOU!

Thats a little harsh, and claiming that old Pancrase fighters performed worked shoots in Pancrase is very misinformed.
Snacks
2/21/07 6:29:33PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Snacks

PARAESTRA SAIKOU!

Thats a little harsh, and claiming that old Pancrase fighters performed worked shoots in Pancrase is very misinformed.

Ken Shamrock and Masakatsu Funaki disagree.
richieb19
2/21/07 6:37:00PM

Posted by Snacks

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Snacks

PARAESTRA SAIKOU!

Really, and what proof of that do you have? Aside from popular claims that people make, there has never been one recorded work that I've ever heard about in Pancrase. I agree that there most likely has been worked shoots in the Pancrase org, but they have also been claimed in both the UFC and Pride. So please either come up with some useful information to back up your claim, or just keep your imaginary facts to yourself...
Snacks
2/21/07 7:01:55PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Snacks

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Snacks

PARAESTRA SAIKOU!

Really, and what proof of that do you have? Aside from popular claims that people make, there has never been one recorded work that I've ever heard about in Pancrase. I agree that there most likely has been worked shoots in the Pancrase org, but they have also been claimed in both the UFC and Pride. So please either come up with some useful information to back up your claim, or just keep your imaginary facts to yourself...

Rickson is 400-0, Takada legitimately beat Coleman, Otsuka, and Sturgeon; Kimo submitted Sakuraba, and Dan Severen is one of the most legitimate fighters in all of MMA..

Oh, and Shamrock-Hume continues to a shining example of what Pancrase is all about.
Lay_N_Pray
2/21/07 7:07:59PM
I love that list, but I think you should add Pat Militech as a coach in the HOF. He has had plenty of champions in his camp
richieb19
2/21/07 7:09:49PM

Posted by Snacks

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Snacks

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Snacks

PARAESTRA SAIKOU!

Rickson is 400-0, Takada legitimately beat Coleman, Otsuka, and Sturgeon; Kimo submitted Sakuraba, and Dan Severen is one of the most legitimate fighters in all of MMA..

Oh, and Shamrock-Hume continues to a shining example of what Pancrase is all about.

Coleman hinted to letting Takada beat him so it's no big surprize there. I don't even think Sakuraba / Kimo was ever even billed as an MMA match to start with, and how does Rickson's inflated record relate to a worked bout?

Last I remember Shamrock / Hume was called an exhibition match due to Hume having been injured before the fight. Either way, the only reason that fight has ever been concidered a work is because of Shamrock's finish on Hume, which IMO isn't much of a reason at all seeing as Ken hugely outweighed and outpowered Hume, and had an American Pro-Wrestling background long before joining Pancrase.
Snacks
2/21/07 7:14:35PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Snacks

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Snacks

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Snacks

PARAESTRA SAIKOU!

Coleman hinted to letting Takada beat him so it's no big surprize there. I don't even think Sakuraba / Kimo was ever even billed as an MMA match to start with, and how does Rickson's inflated record relate to a worked bout?

Last I remember Shamrock / Hume was called an exhibition match due to Hume having been injured before the fight. Either way, the only reason that fight has ever been concidered a work is because of Shamrock's finish on Hume, which IMO isn't much of a reason at all seeing as Ken hugely outweighed and outpowered Hume, and had an American Pro-Wrestling background long before joining Pancrase.

Pancrase has stated they had worked matches, I REALLY hope you realize that.
Pages: [1] 2