Rich Franklin Won't Be Making Any Assumptions Against Wanderlei Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rich Franklin Won't Be Making Any Assumptions Against Wanderlei Silva
DCRage
3/5/09 12:19:08PM
Former UFC Middleweight Champion Rich Franklin tries to remain grounded heading into his fight against former PRIDE smashing machine Wanderlei Silva. "Ace" says he'll be careful not to make the same assumptions he did going into his first fight with Anderson Silva, where, as he put it, "what happened , happened."

Article
kasual
3/5/09 12:38:03PM
This is going to be an explosive fight. Rich is very much improved since he faced Anderson last. He went three very competitive rounds with the man who K.O'ed Wanderlei, in a bout that ended controversially. If he is worried about being picked apart by a surgical striker like Anderson did, Wanderlei is not that guy. He's a brutal striker, but he's not an artist like Anderson is. I see Rich's wrestling being the difference here, however if Wanderlei tags him early, he knows how to finish a fight. Wanderlei's main problem has been being undersized against the 205 monsters in the UFC, Rich is one of those larger guys but being at 185 will help. Looking forward to this a whole lot.
king_katool
3/5/09 1:10:43PM
what is the fight weight for this fight??? it makes a huge difference IMO, have they set a weight yet
Aaronno9
3/5/09 1:16:50PM

Posted by king_katool

what is the fight weight for this fight??? it makes a huge difference IMO, have they set a weight yet

I heard it was going to be 195? not sure though.
MMAcca
3/5/09 1:27:32PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by king_katool

I heard it was going to be 195? not sure though.

wiggum
3/5/09 3:20:46PM
yeah this fight is gonna be awesome...one of those "dream matches" we always hope for instead of silly rematches......i see franklin either picking silva apart of the feet and winning a decision or late fight tko...or i see silva catching him at some point and finishing him off, which i think is less likely to happen.....striking id have to give to rich, hes very technical, yet unorthodox, but utilizes the total striking package with decent power....silva is less technical, more of a brawler, and as we all know has legit power....edge id give to rich due to technical prowess, hes smart enough not engage in a brawl with silva......wrestling, first time ive said this, goes to rich...his wrestling has improved drasticly, and silva has never really shown any....training with couture probably helps, yet i havent seen it.......bjj goes to rich in my book....silva is the black belt and rich is a brown belt...but silva doesnt use his bjj well for mma, he uses it to cause stalemates and get back to his feet but doesnt seem to be too good at that anyways....while rich use his bjj for everythinng that he can when it hits the ground, subs etc......heart belongs to both...chin i would have to give to rich, and yes, thats the first time ive said that....he took some licks from hendo better than he usually does against a big puncher and hasnt been dropped since the fight agaisnt the guy that ko's everybody.....while silva's chin is gone, too many wars....cardio i dont think will be an issue for anybody......im going for rich and i also think he'll win