Rich Franklin vs. Vitor Belfort, not Dan Henderson, new UFC 103 main event

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rich Franklin vs. Vitor Belfort, not Dan Henderson, new UFC 103 main event
Pyrenus
7/31/09 2:24:34PM
Following the demise of Affliction Entertainment, Vitor Belfort (16-8 MMA, 7-4 UFC) has signed with the UFC, replaced Dan Henderson (25-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and will fight Rich Franklin (25-4 MMA, 12-3 UFC) in the main event of UFC 103.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15689/rich-franklin-vs-vitor-belfort-not-dan-henderson-announced-as-new-ufc-103-main-event.mma
scobac
7/31/09 2:37:35PM
We all seen Vitor's return coming but im happy it's finally official especially after a disapointing week with the fedor rumors nice to get some good news.
whardin19
7/31/09 2:42:03PM
I'm not getting these fights there putting Rich Franklin in. They say he's a 205er. Then the keep putting him in there with 185ers. What division will this fight be fought at. Because the last I saw and the last Vitor Belfort fought was at 185. I also thought he wouldn't move up to fight Mosasui at 205. This whole thing is confusing me. But really good main event.

WAR RICH FRANKLIN!!!
emfleek
7/31/09 2:42:24PM

Posted by whardin19

I'm not getting these fights there putting Rich Franklin in. They say he's a 205er. Then the keep putting him in there with 185ers. What division will this fight be fought at. Because the last I saw and the last Vitor Belfort fought was at 185. I also thought he wouldn't move up to fight Mosasui at 205. This whole thing is confusing me. But really good main event.

WAR RICH FRANKLIN!!!

ThaAxeMurderer7
7/31/09 2:43:00PM

Posted by whardin19

WAR RICH FRANKLIN!!!

I'm pretty sure I read this fight will be at 205.
KaibaThedon
7/31/09 2:51:58PM
WAR ACE

This is much much better than the Hendo rematch.
Hendo67
7/31/09 2:54:47PM
WAR VITOR!
marcus1
7/31/09 3:07:34PM
Super stoked on this fight! So many good fights to come from this. I hope he moves back down to 185 though.
shevtheman
7/31/09 3:49:57PM
Vitor seemed to look really good at 185.
Darnok
7/31/09 4:13:02PM
I am now officially excited to see UFC 103. War Vitor
snakeplissken
7/31/09 4:18:44PM
WAR errr... Whoever wins!!
Rush
7/31/09 4:20:39PM
way better than Henderson vs. Franklin/Belfort II

I'm rooting for Vitor in this one.
Giant_Ochai
7/31/09 4:21:37PM
I'm not happy about this at all. Vitor was on fire at 185 and now he has to go back to 205.
pv3Hpv3p
7/31/09 4:24:27PM
Kinda wish they would have let Vitor stay at MW... But have to agree that this is muuuuch better than the Hendo rematch...
Shadymlm
7/31/09 4:25:40PM
To me this is very disappointing, like it was said earlier why is Rich fighting MWs. Vitor should be facing Hendo winner gets title shot. Rich should be fighting a 205er scrap Jardine/Silva fight and put against one of them preferably Silva or even TUF Winner Ryan Bader..
shevtheman
7/31/09 4:31:59PM

Posted by Shadymlm

To me this is very disappointing, like it was said earlier why is Rich fighting MWs. Vitor should be facing Hendo winner gets title shot. Rich should be fighting a 205er scrap Jardine/Silva fight and put against one of them preferably Silva or even TUF Winner Ryan Bader..

Although Wandy said he wants some time off, a Wandy vs Vitor rematch would be greatness. I would also love to see a Vitor/Wandy vs Tito fight for old times sake.
prozacnation1978
7/31/09 7:02:28PM
i was expecting at least catchweight of 195 fair enough
but better than hendo fight but still makes no sense why it is at 205 when belfort will be fighting at 185 they should have done a hendo vs belfort at 185 title shot match,
right now i have no clue who to pick to win just yet but glad to see belfort back curious to see what kind of fight deal he got probably 5 fight deal??
lohmann
7/31/09 7:08:52PM
Hard luck for Belfort in his return fight, but I am glad to see something other than the pointless rematch between Henderson and Franklin.

I am interested to see who the UFC matches up Henderson with next. There's not a lot of options left at middleweight.
bigbubbano23
7/31/09 7:37:51PM
def gonna be a great fight, hope it has the same intensity as rich vs wand
ziegler3334
8/1/09 9:28:07AM
well, i think anything would have been an improvement from franklin/hendo 2, but i really like this matchup. altho i dont like rich franklins year so far. the first hendo fight was a snoozer in a fight where the gains for either guy were unclear. same with his fight for wandy. its a big win, but does it move him up the ladder at 185 or 205? i'm not a fan of catchweight bouts for that reason. and altho ace/belfort will be a good fight, its the same scenario. if they are trying to get a 195 weight class started, then they are clearly pumping ace as the first main guy. however, if that weight class materializes, either anderson or machida could dominate it just as they are their divisions right now. 5 weight classes is a good amount. we dont need this to be like boxing. adding more will just lead to more time between title defenses because of guys jumping around.

as for this fight, im thinking belfort will take it. its gunna stay standing, like the franklin/wandy fight, but vitor is much quicker than wandy. im not sure yet if he'll finish franklin, but im expecting a UD.