Rich Franklin steps into UFC 147 headliner against Wanderlei Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rich Franklin steps into UFC 147 headliner against Wanderlei Silva
Next Page »
Budgellism
5/30/12 3:00:43PM
Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva II is set.

UFC officials today announced that Franklin (28-6 MMA, 13-5 UFC) has replaced injured Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC) and now meets Silva (34-11-1 MMA, 4-6 UFC) in the 190-pound-catchweight headliner of next month's UFC 147 event, which is scheduled for five rounds.

Belfort scratched from the card this past week due to a hand injury.

UFC 147 takes place June 23 at the 25,000-seat indoor arena "Mineirinho" (Estadio Jornalista Felipe Drumond) in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil. The night's main card airs on pay-per-view, and FX is expected to carry the prelims.

Franklin and Silva first fought at UFC 99, where Franklin picked up a unanimous-decision victory via 30-27, 29-28 and 29-28 scores. Franklin had been scheduled to fight Cung Le (7-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at July's UFC 148 event. There's no word on his possible replacement.

LINK
BlueSkiesBurn
5/30/12 3:02:56PM
In a related story: Josh Webb steps out of UFC 147 PPV buy.
Budgellism
5/30/12 3:06:16PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Lol, exactly. This is not a main event fight at this point in their careers. That, and there is 0 supporting cast to back them up. This card has really fallen apart, what a shame.

And on a side note, I would have rather seen Franklin/Le.
Boo_Radley21
5/30/12 3:17:34PM
Disappointing for sure
BlueSkiesBurn
5/30/12 3:18:03PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Lol, exactly. This is not a main event fight at this point in their careers. That, and there is 0 supporting cast to back them up. This card has really fallen apart, what a shame.

There's no way I could justify the price they charge for PPV's for this card. You're right, it's just fallen apart like a Jenga game.
Twenty20Dollars
5/30/12 3:18:10PM
yucky
prophecy033
5/30/12 3:25:39PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

good shit Josh

Franklin will be 2-0 vs Wanderlily
FastKnockout
5/30/12 3:53:43PM
I don't mind for the simple fact their first encounter was exciting. Do I prefer this? No, absolutely not.
Poor_Franklin
5/30/12 3:59:10PM
i hate ruining Franklin/Le for this fight. The UFC should make this card a freebie
prophecy033
5/30/12 4:16:11PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

i hate ruining Franklin/Le for this fight. The UFC should make this card a freebie

Shawn91111
5/30/12 4:36:28PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Well was Belfort/Silva really a headline type of fight? No, as everyone knew Silva was going to get smoked.

The last Silva/Franklin fight was pretty close and I like this fight more than Franklin/Le to be honest.
DeadHead988
5/30/12 4:57:49PM
This is probably the best save they could have possibly done
cowcatcher
5/30/12 5:05:18PM
I can't complain about this fight, the first was close as Shawn said. The card itself isn't great, but when I've said that before it's turned out to be a great night of fights, so we'll see what happens. I'll still buy it, so my friends and I have an excuse to get together, plus then they don't have to do a real "date night" with their wives, just an evening for them to make new memories at casa de cowcatcher.
Bubbles
5/30/12 5:17:09PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

BeeR
5/30/12 5:25:57PM

Posted by BeeR

if all else fails franklin steps in for a 2nd fight.

to the fight, I would rather see Belchar.
whardin19
5/30/12 5:56:59PM
Yes, they should have left Franklin against Lee and brought in Belcher if he was healthy.
Poor_Franklin
5/30/12 5:59:56PM

Posted by BeeR

Posted by BeeR

could be wrong, but think Belcher tweeted that he was ina cast for a few weeks & would have asked for the wandy fight had he not been injured
bjj1605
5/30/12 6:14:19PM
I'm excited for this fight. Both guys are favorites of mine and both always put on exciting fights. They're also closely matched which should make for a a good show.

Probably won't pay to watch it....

But I'll enjoy it all the same!
shaneTpain
5/30/12 6:19:35PM
Bunch of fair weather fans up in here.
I hope Wandi rips Franklins heart out of his chest & eats it & the UFC immediately removes the footage from all existence due to the extreme violence & murder.
BUT everyone who bought the PPV witnessed it.
Shouldn't of skipped it dudes.
KungFuMaster
5/30/12 6:28:29PM
I agree with the majority. I cannot believe they scratched Franklin vs Le for Franklin vs Wanderlei. This is frustratingly mind-boggling. I don't understand the motive(s) behind it at all.
Shawn91111
5/30/12 6:30:38PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I agree with the majority. I cannot believe they scratched Franklin vs Le for Franklin vs Wanderlei. This is frustratingly mind-boggling. I don't understand the motive(s) behind it at all.

What dont you understand? They needed a headliner for the fight. Who else is going to headline opposite Silva.
Pookie
5/30/12 6:36:24PM
Considering how close the first fight was, and how difficult the weight cut was for Wanderlei in that fight, the odds he'll get on this fight will probably be a steal.
prozacnation1978
5/30/12 6:38:13PM
I was looking so forward to Franklin vs le fight.

I really don't wanna see a rematch but i gotta go with Franklin
prophecy033
5/30/12 6:44:48PM

Posted by BeeR

Posted by BeeR

good call Broseph
KungFuMaster
5/30/12 6:49:52PM
What's that buzzing around my ear?

cowcatcher
5/30/12 6:54:07PM
It sucks any time an injury forces one of the fighters out, and it especially sucks when another good fight has to be broken up in order to get a replacement, but Franklin is the UFC's go to guy for big fights that need replacements from 185-205. BeeR nailed it, and really who else were they going to get?
frizzzlecake
5/30/12 7:18:20PM
I think UFC 1 will get more PPV buys than this.

I always go to a local Mexican restaurant to watch PPVS, free nachos ftw!
Wolfenstein
5/30/12 7:26:45PM

Posted by cowcatcher

It sucks any time an injury forces one of the fighters out, and it especially sucks when another good fight has to be broken up in order to get a replacement, but Franklin is the UFC's go to guy for big fights that need replacements from 185-205. BeeR nailed it, and really who else were they going to get?

I think like many others, they should have gone with the guy everyone is really high on right now, Alan Belcher. He's a MW and it could be a good fight to launch him towards a title shot, and get a win over a big name. Both guys have lost 3 out of their last five, and Rich in particular is coming off a loss to Griffin...

In my mind, they have to do something to salvage this card, as Werdum vs Russo and Alcantara vs Dias are 4th and 5th fights on a main card at best. Just throwing names out there, but something like Stephan Bonnar vs Gustafson, and maybe Johny Hendricks vs Rory McDonald could potentially right this sinking ship.
Franklinfan47
5/30/12 7:42:24PM
Noooooooooooooooo

Why does Rich always have to save the day? Wanted to see him fight Cung
george112
5/30/12 9:44:49PM
I think Silva could be dangerous in this fight. Franklin will have to be on his toes

Although I Won't be buying
Pages: [1] 2