rich franklin's shiner

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » rich franklin's shiner
cowcatcher
3/6/07 11:21:36AM
every time the guy steps into the ring he has a black eye, i'm starting to wonder if he intentionally gets one laid on him or if it's just coincidence through sparring. one thought my friends and i had was that since he looks so clean cut it makes him look more like a fighter and maybe serves some intimidation factor for him in the cage, but that seems a little ridiculous considering i'd be more worried about the guy who gave the black eye than the one who got it. anyone have any info on his never healing eyes?
waylon_o
3/6/07 11:30:50AM
Nope...but yeah, he had one against Silva before the fight...2 after the fight
cowcatcher
3/6/07 11:31:44AM
and his nose was under one of them as well
richieb19
3/6/07 2:17:33PM
I've only noticed it in his last two fights against Silva and McDonald, who are both lefties (I'm pretty sure anyways). He probably started training with a southpaw to compensate and has a hard time guarding his face against left straights... just a guess though, I'm as stumped as you are.
seeger1
3/6/07 2:59:40PM
Good ol Rich probably just wants to look hard
Seriously though,this seems to be a regular thing with Rich in the last few Fights.Who's he sparing with.He is a real class act though,hope he wins the title back off Silva.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
bayonetxwork
3/6/07 3:06:20PM
Well whoevers hitting him that much I'd like to see be in the UFC. Because your definitely doing something right if you can give Rich Franklin a clean black eye like that
pv3Hpv3p
3/6/07 4:05:08PM

Posted by richieb19

I've only noticed it in his last two fights against Silva and McDonald, who are both lefties (I'm pretty sure anyways). He probably started training with a southpaw to compensate and has a hard time guarding his face against left straights... just a guess though, I'm as stumped as you are.

I was questioning the same thing and I think this is a good point... I never realized that both fighters were southpaws and that would definitley have an effect on training standup, especially since Franklin is a lefty as well.
The_Crippler
3/6/07 4:57:11PM
you would think the week or so before his fight date that he would take it easy with his boxing training and maybe stick to grappling but u never know he coulda just caught one on accident from the screaming kids running through the halls (jk)
Berti
3/6/07 6:02:17PM
maybe it gives the other fighter a false sense of hope, silva sure didnt fall for it.
Brick
3/6/07 6:43:56PM
It takes a lot less impact than you think to give you a shiner. And maybe he just gets them easier than most people. I know I have some spots on my body that bruise more easily than others during training (like my arms from grappling), so maybe his eyes just blacken more frequently than most people. Anyway, any sort of medium contact in stand-up directly to the eye will blacken it typically.
Gogoplata
3/6/07 6:46:54PM
Rich has had a permanent black eye for awhile now. It may not be healing right, but he has had it since before the Silva fight.
fedorwins1
3/6/07 6:55:32PM

Posted by Gogoplata

Rich has had a permanent black eye for awhile now. It may not be healing right, but he has had it since before the Silva fight.

I just seen a money show the other day it was alittle older and he was on it and he didn't have a black eye and that was after the Silva fight, so he hasn't had one this whole time.
Dadaman
3/6/07 7:21:16PM
If anything Rich probably just takes his sparring a little overboard over at MFS.

I don't think he'd intentionally have someone give him a black eye just so hey could look cool.
jdubs
3/6/07 7:50:39PM
just from training hard.. nothing more
hippysmacker
3/6/07 8:05:59PM
BJ has them too. I think a lot of guys may not spare as hard as others. Josh Gross made a pont of saying how chutebox guys regularly Koed eachother in training when he wached them for a day. I think sometimes it's a fluke, usually I think it's people who spar harder than others.
Gogoplata
3/6/07 9:04:43PM

Posted by Dadaman

If anything Rich probably just takes his sparring a little overboard over at MFS.

I don't think he'd intentionally have someone give him a black eye just so hey could look cool.

How many times must it be told that Rich is not a Miletich fighter? Sure, he trains with those guys from time to time and hangs out with them, but by no means is he up in Iowa rocking it out with them on a day in, day out basis.
CWall33
3/7/07 1:19:23AM

Posted by cowcatcher

and his nose was under one of them as well

I went to the weigh-ins for 68 just hoping to meet Franklin.
Had a printout of this picture for him to autograph.
Probably would have gotten my ass kicked if I had actually gotten close enough to ask for the autograph, so it's probably a good thing it was so crazy crowded.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
migo
3/7/07 3:52:50AM

Posted by Dadaman

He doesn't train at MFS.
CWall33
3/7/07 4:05:02AM

Posted by migo

Posted by Dadaman

He doesn't train at MFS.

Been said.
BloodandTears
3/7/07 12:45:42PM
Man I aint ever seen this guy without a black eye! It must be permanent.